[BLOG]: Hardfought 2.0

Discuss subjects regarding Hardfought news here.

Moderator: News posters

K2
Administrator

[BLOG]: Hardfought 2.0

Postby K2 » Mar 18th, 2009 at 8:11 am

This is a blog post. To read the original post, please click here »

On more than one occasion in the past I've said I was going to do an overhaul to the website. Those overhauls either never happened, or it turned into something more like a slight modification. Some were more significant than others, but overall the site has looked the same since day one.

It's finally time to bring Hardfought into the 21st century :-P

I started work on a new look and feel earlier today. I'm using a portal script called OnePress that integrates Wordpress and phpBB3. The benefits are a seamless transition between the two, integrated functionality (example: recent posts from phpBB into a wordpress front page widget), and an excuse for me to upgrade the msgboard to phpBB3. Luckily for us, the conversion from phpBB2 to 3 is very easy and virtually painless. All forums, posts, users, groups, permissions, avatars, attachments, etc carry over.

Wanna see what's in place so far? Go to http://test.hardfought.org - right now its just proof of concept and testing out functionality. All news posts minus this one and the one before it are present, and all forum posts from around noon my time today and before are present. You should be able to login and browse around, but for right now posting ability is disabled. If for some reason you CAN post, please lemme know, cuz ya shouldn't ;-)

I have a lot of work to do still. If you have any suggestions, I am open to any that ya may have. I do want to preserve some of the look n' feel, but certainly not all of it, or even most of it. And this move also puts the website into Web 2.0 territory. My goal is to be able to pass the W3C Markup Validation Service to as close to 100% as possible. Anyways... I just started my 30 day block leave, so I have all sorts of time to hash it out.

Lemme know whatcha think ;-)

Tags: OnePress, phpBB3, W3C, Web 2.0, Web Server, WordPress
Posted under: Hardfought news, Server related

Nad

Postby Nad » Mar 18th, 2009 at 10:06 am

I can post, and I'm going to miss the old HF. Nostalgia is king in the 21 century.
Hardfought Forum/Game Server Admin and all around board troll

Phoenix
Elite Member

Postby Phoenix » Mar 18th, 2009 at 11:56 am

Works ok, the banner when you go to the forums is a bit screwed, also while I know its just proof of concept I cant say that I care of the colors, I like this dark feel we have.
Former HF clan member, server admin, all around troll

"You don't do things right once-in-a-while. You do them right all the time."- Vince Lombardi

Phoenix
Elite Member

Postby Phoenix » Mar 18th, 2009 at 11:57 am

PS. I can post!
Former HF clan member, server admin, all around troll

"You don't do things right once-in-a-while. You do them right all the time."- Vince Lombardi

Maverick
Elite Member

Postby Maverick » Mar 18th, 2009 at 12:54 pm

I like the direction you're heading in.

It's much more readable and modern looking.
"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing..."
-Edmund Burke

K2
Administrator

Postby K2 » Mar 18th, 2009 at 2:53 pm

Hrm, you can post... ah well. When I go live with it, I'm redoing the msgboard dbase anyways, meaning I'll disable this one here, and import all the data from it so there's no overlap.

Don't worry about the colors ;) As I said, right now it's just getting functionality working. Believe it or not, the look n' feel is the hardest part to get down... for me anyways :P

K2
Administrator

Postby K2 » Mar 19th, 2009 at 5:13 am

New site is coming along fine, have a look. I still have a bunch of work to do on the frontend before I even begin to tackle the look/feel of the msgboard there. However, the look is in the spirit of the original color scheme while adopting a more modern look at the same time.

Turns out you can post on the msgboard there? Ah well, go for it... see if you can break anything.

Suck.
Benefactor

Postby Suck. » Mar 19th, 2009 at 6:43 am

Don't worry Keith, I'll take care of those pesky posters. :roll:

-Grant.

sX
Elite Member

Postby sX » Mar 20th, 2009 at 12:19 pm

Maybe we could add some flash to the site? :D
(o )^( o) Tetas.

rekloose-[PUPPY]
Elite Member

Postby rekloose-[PUPPY] » Mar 20th, 2009 at 11:18 pm

i like the new site, but is the HF email server down?

-d

K2
Administrator

Postby K2 » Mar 20th, 2009 at 11:24 pm

rekloose-[PUPPY] wrote:i like the new site, but is the HF email server down?

-d

See the 'change of web host' post in this forum puppy.

Update - started on the msgboard today. Got a lot done, but there's still a lot more to do. Kinda tedious shit, too, but necessary. It's gettin' there...

WidowMaker
Benefactor

Postby WidowMaker » Mar 23rd, 2009 at 2:13 am

I dig the new and improved look
- The AWP god formerly known as 'WidowMaker' [Retired]
-------------------------------------------------------------------
-Game Designer
-Retro Studios - www.retrostudios.com
-If the next Metroid sucks, you will know who to blame.

K2
Administrator

Postby K2 » Mar 23rd, 2009 at 9:21 pm

Thanks ;)

Haven't been able to work on the update because of some issues with the new laptops I bought for me and Jenn. That's pretty much resolved now, so I should start back to work on it sometime tomorrow or Wednesday.

K2
Administrator

Postby K2 » Mar 26th, 2009 at 6:59 am

Made quite a bit of progress today on the msgboard. I am doing a complete overhaul of the icon graphics used - I dont think I'll be incorporating any of the old board graphics at all.

I am also gonna see how to make the user info next to each post float on the left side like the old board instead of the right side as it is now with phpBB3. Here's the thing - phpBB comes in two theme flavors, subsilver2 (which is just a hack of the subsilver theme from phpbb2) and prosilver, which has all the nice rounded corners and web 2.0 look. Prosilver switched the user info to the right side. I have seen phpBB3 boards using prosilver with the user info on the left. So, I know it can be done, I just need to figure out how ;)

Keep watchin...

K2
Administrator

Postby K2 » Mar 26th, 2009 at 9:58 am

Update - finished even more work on icons. I also got the user info flipped over to the left side ;) Was easier than I thought it'd be, just took a lil bit of time to get it all aligned properly afterwards.

Gonna start in on font type and size next, as well as little adjustments to the layout. I also need to do something with the pm/email/aim/yahoo/etc buttons, its kinda all fucked up as far as placement goes. Should be easy to fix.

And the great thing is that the site looks 99% the same between IE7 and FF 3.0/3.1 (the latest beta of Firefox is FAST by the way).

I'm goin to bed.
Last edited by K2 on Mar 26th, 2009 at 4:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Nad

Postby Nad » Mar 26th, 2009 at 11:03 am

Looking good man, I really like it.
Hardfought Forum/Game Server Admin and all around board troll

sX
Elite Member

Postby sX » Mar 27th, 2009 at 1:23 am

SHOW ME YOUR BOOBS!
(o )^( o) Tetas.

Jman

Postby Jman » Mar 28th, 2009 at 12:52 am

Hey Brother..

I think it's great what you're doing for this community; building a new site just shows that you're committed to this gaming industry. Keep up the good work !!

Jason

K2
Administrator

Postby K2 » Apr 3rd, 2009 at 11:45 pm

Thanks ;)

Made some progress today. I still have a lot of lil touch-up things to do, but I think the site may be ready to go 'live' and replace the existing site either by this weekend, or the next one at the latest.

K2
Administrator

Postby K2 » Apr 4th, 2009 at 4:56 pm

I'm pretty sure I am gong to transition the site either tonight or tomorrow. I stayed up way later than I shoulda last night and knocked out a lot of lil layout bugs that were bothering me - mostly in the moderator and user control panels. I'll still be working on the site of course, but it's at a point now where I can safely go live.

Once it's live, I will start to import over the photo album.

The message board here will be disbaled turning the transition to ensure that no errors creep up in the conversion, and to keep breaks in posts from occuring.

Go take one last look, lemme know if there's something you feel doesnt look right or is broken.

Return to “News Postings”