What did Santa bring you for Christmas?

Anything and everything goes here... post away!

Moderators: EatMoreLead, Nad, Suck.

Burzum
Benefactor

Postby Burzum » Dec 28th, 2006 at 2:08 pm

Nothing wrong with the Mountaineer. It's got a good solid engine and driveline. Should last a while.
Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup.

EatMoreLead
Benefactor

Postby EatMoreLead » Dec 28th, 2006 at 6:47 pm

Actually KC, a 4runner would be better comparison, and both it and the Honda Pilot are twice the car for not much more. Burzam, I drive a Ford, and it is the last "domestic" car I'll own. It kills me to send profits to Japan, but Detriot has had 35 years to catchup to them and can't get er done in terms of fuel efficency, quality and ride/comfort.
EatMoreLead aka EML

Jeng
Elite Member

Postby Jeng » Dec 28th, 2006 at 11:37 pm

I have a 91' Ford Festiva. 1.3L, somehow it only gets 33mpg, but thats ok, I can't really blame Ford though, Ford asked Mazda to make them a little shit box, so Mazda outsourced it to KIA.
I really need to change this sig

Burzum
Benefactor

Postby Burzum » Dec 29th, 2006 at 8:37 am

EatMoreLead wrote:Actually KC, a 4runner would be better comparison, and both it and the Honda Pilot are twice the car for not much more. Burzam, I drive a Ford, and it is the last "domestic" car I'll own. It kills me to send profits to Japan, but Detriot has had 35 years to catchup to them and can't get er done in terms of fuel efficency, quality and ride/comfort.

I won't argue with you on that point EML. The major American auto makers have been struggling to catch up for a long time. My 2001 Ranger has a 3.0L V6. You'd think I'd have like 260hp and 300tq but sadly this American made engine got all of 160hp from the factory. The good thing about it is that the design has been around long enough for them to get the kinks worked out. I have some friends on another board with the same engine that are breaking 200,000 miles.

The point is, you're right. Their R&D is seriously lacking. So much so that when they release a new engine (like Fords 6.0L diesel) everyone is very warry of it for the first few years. The American companies are feeling the burden of it as well. Every time I turn around GM or Ford is laying someone off or talking about bankruptcy. I just wish they'd get it all figured out.

Side note: the transmission in my truck is a Mazda hehe
Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup.

EatMoreLead
Benefactor

Postby EatMoreLead » Dec 29th, 2006 at 9:12 pm

fyi, Toyota is going to buyout majority of Ford - which will make them easily the #1 car company in volume - and maybe breathe some new life into a stale, almost bankrupt brand
EatMoreLead aka EML

Brian

Postby Brian » Dec 30th, 2006 at 2:56 am

EatMoreLead wrote:fyi, Toyota is going to buyout majority of Ford - which will make them easily the #1 car company in volume - and maybe breathe some new life into a stale, almost bankrupt brand

Thank goodness. All I ask is that they leave the mustang alone, that thing is sexy :o

KillerClown

Postby KillerClown » Dec 30th, 2006 at 12:48 pm

EatMoreLead wrote:Actually KC, a 4runner would be better comparison, and both it and the Honda Pilot are twice the car for not much more.

I was more leaning toward the size, not the better brand/deal/value etc. The 4Runner has come up a bit in size recently, so it could be a viable counterpart I guess.

But really what I find more-so than anything else, the more I look around the more I notice that no matter what kind of vehicle you buy, newer model vehicles are definitely getting better and better, and a lot of your domestic cars are just as reliable as foreign cars. Some more than other obviously. I've seen many many domestic and foreign cars bumping up to 200,000+ miles, on the other hand, I've seen tons of both that fucked up long before imaginable.

Mostly what it boils down to is take care of your vehicle and it's likely it will be around for a long time, no matter what brand it is (There are those few exceptions to this).

Brian wrote:Thank goodness. All I ask is that they leave the mustang alone, that thing is sexy

*gag* :P

Never liked a Mustang myself, though my little brother bought a brand new one a little under a year ago, just after he got back from Iraq, but thankfully he decided against it and went and got a 2006 Dodge Ram 1500 NightRunner, with a Hemi! Really bad ass truck. :P
"Truth is treason in the empire of lies." - Ron Paul

EatMoreLead
Benefactor

Postby EatMoreLead » Dec 30th, 2006 at 1:28 pm

KC - do you even own a car yet? I think you are pulling information out of your ass. From JD power initial quality ratings:

2006 IQS Ranking Highlights

Lexus and Toyota models continue to dominate initial quality rankings, capturing 11 out of 19 segment awards in 2006. Lexus models rank highest in every segment in which they compete. In addition, the LS 430 ties the Porsche Cayman for having the fewest quality problems in the industry. Other top-ranking Lexus models include: IS 250/IS 350, ES 330, SC 430, GX 470 and LX 470.

Toyota remains a quality benchmark, capturing five model-level awards—for the Corolla, Solara, Camry, Highlander and Sequoia—more than any other non-luxury brand.

Porsche and Lexus lead the luxury brands, while Hyundai, Toyota and Honda set the pace among non-luxury brands. Averaging just 91 problems per 100 (PP100) vehicles, Porsche tops the overall nameplate rankings. Porsche’s success can be partly attributed to the all-new Cayman, which tops the compact premium sporty car segment. Porsche is followed in the rankings by Lexus, Hyundai, Toyota and Jaguar, respectively.

Hyundai ranks among the top three nameplates in the study for the first time in the history of IQS. Highlights include a top ranking for the Hyundai Tucson in the compact multi-activity vehicle (MAV) segment, and top-three segment performances for the redesigned Sonata and all-new Azera, as well as the Elantra and Tiburon.

Honda also maintains its position as a quality leader. Although Honda does not receive any awards outright, five Honda models rank among the top three of their respective segments.
EatMoreLead aka EML

JayPhat
Elite Member

Postby JayPhat » Dec 30th, 2006 at 10:05 pm

I wish I could find the report on quality control and domestic/foreign statistics. It was informative in terms of how many errors where found with a new car by each model and brand. The best was a toyota corrolla, with a defect rate of 3/100. The worst was a Lincoln Navigator with a defect rate of 49/100.

Toyota(Scion), Honda(Acura), and Volkswagen were the top three in terms of quality. Sadely, our three domestics were the worst.

I have also found domestic car dealers are alot more willing to say "fuck you" in terms of warranty work. Then again, so many domestic car dealers are coupling their service with a foreign namesake, pretty soon, we are gonna get shitty ass service on both sides.

K2
Administrator

Postby K2 » Dec 30th, 2006 at 10:35 pm

Japanese car makers develop their engines to be much more fuel efficient than most american cars as well, especially for trucks/SUV's. There was a news report I read just a week ago or so, where this big GM exec was bitching about some new federal mandates that are supposed to go into effect for 2007, that require all vehicles sold in the USA to meet certain emission and mpg standards, which are a bit more strict than previously.

Pretty much all of the Japanese-made vehicles already meet or exceed this standard.

The GM exec was crying about how it was unfair to American auto makers, and how if people wanna buy and drive a big SUV, that they should be allowed to do so. Which I agree with, but it's possible to develop a big engine with a lot of power and still have it meet the standards.

EDIT - found a link to the story - http://www.usatoday.com/money/companies ... nomy_x.htm

WidowMaker
Benefactor

Postby WidowMaker » Dec 30th, 2006 at 10:47 pm

Well I'm glad my wife's X-mas present spurs such spirited debate.

My wife loves the car, and that is all that matters to me. We got it for $200 over invoice, thanks to my dad knowing the guy we bought it from. So, yeah. We are happy with it. But the rest of you can enjoy flapping your gums about domestic vs. imports.

I'd say what brand 50" plasma TV I got, but I am sure you would all bitch about how it isn't the best TV you can buy.

Merry Christmas.... or something.

-Wid
- The AWP god formerly known as 'WidowMaker' [Retired]
-------------------------------------------------------------------
-Game Designer
-Retro Studios - www.retrostudios.com
-If the next Metroid sucks, you will know who to blame.

KillerClown

Postby KillerClown » Dec 31st, 2006 at 3:19 am

EatMoreLead wrote:KC - do you even own a car yet? I think you are pulling information out of your ass.

No, I don't own a car, I think that walking everywhere is awesome...or something! rofl
Actually, I've owned a ton of different vehicles, right now I use my 89 Nissan 240sx most of the time (as it pwns on gas & and mad fun to drive), and a 96 Blazer other occasions, it just really sucks on gas.
The 240sx has been very well taken care of...well the motor/trans (drivetrain), the body is actually from a coupe that was somewhat in the flood, the motor and transmission came out of a 1991 240sx hatchback that a friend of mine owned and wrecked (after which he transferred the drivetrain (and dashboard and other interior) to the 89) (I've done some stuff to it, but I'm not really dedicated to it fully yet because it is a bit older, but it has a very high amount of potential). It runs slightly rich because it's needs a timing chain, has 'brand new' lifetime warranty sport fuel injectors, and a K&N air filter with a custom built breather box. The drivetrain has over 160,000 miles on it, and it's still running great even with needing a timing chain.

The Blazer is fucked, lol. The previous owner had the radiator flushed and refilled at a Jiffy Lube in Georgia, and they used DexCool, which is some friggin nasty shit to put into a vehicle that isn't made to use it. So it's had a few problems, mostly with the cooling system.. :D
Lots and lots of sludge, and orange stains everywhere (including the curb outside my apartment, pretty much the whole parking space where it sits at night, and anywhere it goes right now)(And this is after it's already been flushed 9-10 times since the DexCool was flushed), and gasket sealant eaten through, and now rust on the interior of the radiator...It's been a fun ride for sure...It has over 100,000 miles on it and, minus the cooling system issues, still runs really well.

I didn't really pull anything out of my ass, I pulled it out of my personal experience, and the people I know, and through the jobs I've had at car dealerships. I probably should have said "some" instead of "a lot", on how many were as reliable, but oh well. :P
I have driven probably 5-6,000 or more vehicles. Granted it has been about 1.5-2 years since I've been in the automotive industry in any form.

KillerClown

Postby KillerClown » Dec 31st, 2006 at 3:23 am

WidowMaker wrote:Well I'm glad my wife's X-mas present spurs such spirited debate.

My wife loves the car, and that is all that matters to me. We got it for $200 over invoice, thanks to my dad knowing the guy we bought it from. So, yeah. We are happy with it. But the rest of you can enjoy flapping your gums about domestic vs. imports.

I'd say what brand 50" plasma TV I got, but I am sure you would all bitch about how it isn't the best TV you can buy.

Merry Christmas.... or something.

-Wid

You just can't argue with a 50" Plasma TV...
:D

K2
Administrator

Postby K2 » Dec 31st, 2006 at 3:54 am

KillerClown wrote:You just can't argue with a 50" Plasma TV...
:D

You can if the native resolution of said screen is less than 1920x1080i (true HDTV resolution). Anything less, and ya got ripped off in the picture quality department.

At the PX here on base, they've got a shitload of LCD and plasma wide bigscreen tv's for sale, most in the 42" to 60" range, but the prices on a lot of them are as low as 1000-1200 bucks. When I first saw that, I was like 'omg too good to be true!!' cuz you can find some amazing *legit* deals in the PX. But then I started lookin' at the specs, and most of them had max resolutions of 1200x800, or 1366x856. A couple were as low as 1024x768... WTF!? And ya wonder why your picture looks grainy on your brand new 60" plasma... :?

Hope ya did your research Wid :P

KillerClown

Postby KillerClown » Dec 31st, 2006 at 12:33 pm

lol

Burzum
Benefactor

Postby Burzum » Jan 6th, 2007 at 12:08 pm

I heard something about Toyota bringing a ton of plants over here. If they do that they could capture a lot of the "I only buy American crowd". The vehicle their specifically bringing over is the Tundra which competes with Ford's F150. The F150 makes almost ALL of Ford's profit. If they lose the F150 market it could break them. I think Toyota knows this and that's why they're doing it.

*EDIT for typo

Return to “General Discussion”