Why I hate NASCAR

Anything and everything goes here... post away!

Moderators: EatMoreLead, Nad, Suck.

JayPhat
Elite Member

Why I hate NASCAR

Postby JayPhat » Feb 13th, 2007 at 8:46 pm

Its almost like a communist organization. EVERYONE has to be equal. Nobody can have a better car than everyone else. Case in point. 4 NASCAR teams had their crew cheifs suspended for modifyign their cars. Nothing dangerous. Just thinking up ways to make the car less air resistant and go faster. Well fuck if thats allowed. Make your car go faster than someone else? IN A RACE? How is that fair?

Kenseth and Kahne had their qualifying times thrown out after inspectors discovered illegal holes in the wheel wells, which could have improved aerodynamics.

Evernham maintained the holes had been covered with duct tape that apparently fell off before the Dodge was inspected. But Pemberton said NASCAR believed the tape had been cut.

Riggs and Sadler's cars both had modifications that allowed air to leak out of the trunk area. It was discovered before qualifying and had not been announced by NASCAR before Tuesday.

I understand having base rules but GOD DAMN. Let these fuckers RACE.

Miracl3

Postby Miracl3 » Feb 13th, 2007 at 9:35 pm

but u dont understand jp....at daytona its all about how aerodynamic ur car is. A couple holes could mean ur car is better then the rest. They all have the same engine just diff bodystyles. Also the same chassis.

sohpriest

Postby sohpriest » Feb 13th, 2007 at 10:00 pm

Alot of it has to do with safety also. If they just let them loose at Daytona they would be doing 250 mph. They have to keep the speeds down to protect the crowd as much as the racers.
"I am Jack's smirking revenge."

JayPhat
Elite Member

Postby JayPhat » Feb 14th, 2007 at 12:22 pm

Miracl3 wrote:but u dont understand jp....at daytona its all about how aerodynamic ur car is. A couple holes could mean ur car is better then the rest.

So its wrong to have a car better than someone else? I guess every sport should limit the height, weight, and athletic ability of their players so no-one has a better team than anyone else.

sohpriest wrote:Alot of it has to do with safety also. If they just let them loose at Daytona they would be doing 250 mph. They have to keep the speeds down to protect the crowd as much as the racers.

I understand safety. I'm not saying let them run without any safety measures but when you start doing petty shit like this, or like last year when they fined the driver because his car was ONE FUCKING INCH too short, then you have lost sight of what you are doing. Or you're becoming a beauracracy.

Best_predator
Banished to Siberia

Postby Best_predator » Feb 14th, 2007 at 2:32 pm

Formula 1 has a lot less restrictions, especially in aerodynamics department. It's all about the engineers' and drivers' knowledge. Gota know what to tune up and change, and theres a hell of a lot of things to tune. And its a lot more exciting to watch than nascar ^_-. Time for you to convert to the light side JP :P.
Sneaky bastard...
"Knowing is not enough; we must apply. Willing is not enough; we must do." ~ Goethe

Best_predator
Banished to Siberia

Postby Best_predator » Feb 14th, 2007 at 2:45 pm

p.s http://www.formula1.com/insight/technicalinfo/ look at all the articles on the side and have read :D. Makes the racing a hell of a lot more interesting imo.
Sneaky bastard...
"Knowing is not enough; we must apply. Willing is not enough; we must do." ~ Goethe

KillerClown

Postby KillerClown » Feb 14th, 2007 at 6:39 pm

Kenseth and Kahne had their qualifying times thrown out after inspectors discovered illegal holes in the wheel wells, which could have improved aerodynamics.

Evernham maintained the holes had been covered with duct tape that apparently fell off before the Dodge was inspected. But Pemberton said NASCAR believed the tape had been cut.

Riggs and Sadler's cars both had modifications that allowed air to leak out of the trunk area. It was discovered before qualifying and had not been announced by NASCAR before Tuesday.

Sounds to me like they got what they deserved... All these teams have a responsibility to keep up with and abide by the rules set forth by NASCAR. Even more, it sounds like they intentionally cut the holes in the wheelwhell and then taped it, knowing duct tape isn't going to hold up to 150+ MPH winds, therefore bypassing the inspection and gaining an advantage within the race when the tape comes off. Letting air pass through your trunk is an obvious aerodynamic advantage.
Official NASCAR rules are hard to find, and they do change as technology advances.

JayPhat wrote:
Miracl3 wrote:but u dont understand jp....at daytona its all about how aerodynamic ur car is. A couple holes could mean ur car is better then the rest.

So its wrong to have a car better than someone else? I guess every sport should limit the height, weight, and athletic ability of their players so no-one has a better team than anyone else.

Leave out athletic ability and you'll be a little closer. There's something like 30 body-style templates they can use to build their NASCAR car with, and yes they must adhere to the guidelines.
You are then left with a couple very major factors:
Driver Skill, and Pit Crew Skill.

Edit: Really your comparison is a bit backwards, they don't really limit any specifics about the actual person, just the car. A good comparison would be something like, bat/ball specifications in baseball, rim/ball in basketball, stick/puck in hockey, etc.

Driver skill is the most important factor in NASCAR, hence why the cars are all very similar in specifications. Gives everyone an even playing field.
There are a lot of adjustments that they can make to these cars, leaving their pit crew to prove they can read the driver and the track and setup the car to run better - per track - per driver.
Point being the Driver/Crew wins the race, not the car. :P

JayPhat wrote:
sohpriest wrote:Alot of it has to do with safety also. If they just let them loose at Daytona they would be doing 250 mph. They have to keep the speeds down to protect the crowd as much as the racers.

I understand safety. I'm not saying let them run without any safety measures but when you start doing petty shit like this, or like last year when they fined the driver because his car was ONE FUCKING INCH too short, then you have lost sight of what you are doing. Or you're becoming a beauracracy.

I think they are getting their 'sight' worked out, making it a more even and safer sport. Though this isn't really how NASCAR started, as when it was started it was literally stock cars brought down to the track to race, but to me that left too much factor by the car itself, and it seems as if NASCAR opinion is something around the same. :P

An interesting analysis, however NASCAR rules have long been designed to encourage close racing. Runaway wins are considered bad for the entertainment value (read boring and no money in it). Rules can change from race to race if someone, or some brand, shows a technological triumph that gives them an advantage.

I don't have the patience to watch car racing or (or full cricket matches), but the NASCAR rules are pretty interesting reading if you like technology. What I found most interesting is that there are a lot of rules for car weight, horsepower, and technology imposed almost entirely to ensure that the winners are sorted from the pack by the team's talent and their luck on the day. Just because you can afford an Indy car that could beat the hell out of all those stock cars, that don't mean that you get to race the Indy car against the stock cars.
"Truth is treason in the empire of lies." - Ron Paul

Miracl3

Postby Miracl3 » Feb 14th, 2007 at 8:49 pm

JayPhat wrote:

one inch lower = faster car then the rest

Jeng
Elite Member

Postby Jeng » Feb 15th, 2007 at 11:27 pm

Miracl3 wrote:
JayPhat wrote:

one inch lower = faster car then the rest

Not only faster, but also more fuel efficient. One Inch is ALOT in racing.

Though its nothing compared to some of the things that Smokey Yunick used to do.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Smokey_Yunick

As with most successful racers, Yunick was a master of the gray area straddling the rules. Perhaps his most famous exploit was his #13 1966 Chevrolet Chevelle, driven by Curtis Turner. The car was so much faster than the competition during testing that they were certain that cheating was involved; some sort of aerodynamic enhancement was strongly suspected, but the car's profile seemed to be entirely stock, as the rules required. It was eventually discovered that what Yunick had built was an exact 7/8 scale replica of the production car. Since then, NASCAR has required each race car's roof, hood, and trunk to fit templates representing the production car's exact profile.

These new guys are just amateurs.
I really need to change this sig

Relic

Postby Relic » Feb 16th, 2007 at 8:34 am

I'd rather watch golf than nascar.

-Relic

YOU CLICK DRAGON

Jeng
Elite Member

Postby Jeng » Feb 16th, 2007 at 11:20 pm

Relic wrote:I'd rather watch golf than nascar.

-Relic

WTF are you on, and can I not have some?

Nad

Postby Nad » Feb 17th, 2007 at 11:52 am

I forgot which season it was, but i remember back when i was playing Rec ball that LSU's team hit more home runs than any other team in college ball by a long shot. Turns out they had Easton(i think) custom make a bunch of bats that only LSU had access to for the season, and would not be released to the market until after this season was over. LSU won it all that year.

Its stuff like this that makes NASCAR do things the way they do. Every car has to have the same basic template so that the winner of the race is determined by a driver/crew combo. No man wins a race without a good crew. If it came down to the cars people drove, NASCAR races would be filled with cars blowing up and drivers constantly slamming into the wall more than they already are. Every sport has similar regulations, NASCAR is just a stickler for the rules, which is a good thing.
Hardfought Forum/Game Server Admin and all around board troll

Best_predator
Banished to Siberia

Postby Best_predator » Feb 17th, 2007 at 4:48 pm

Nad wrote:I forgot which season it was, but i remember back when i was playing Rec ball that LSU's team hit more home runs than any other team in college ball by a long shot. Turns out they had Easton(i think) custom make a bunch of bats that only LSU had access to for the season, and would not be released to the market until after this season was over. LSU won it all that year.

Oh yea i remember the story. Something about the guidance system right?
Sneaky bastard...

Miracl3

Postby Miracl3 » Feb 17th, 2007 at 10:05 pm

Nad wrote:Its stuff like this that makes NASCAR do things the way they do. Every car has to have the same basic template so that the winner of the race is determined by a driver/crew combo. No man wins a race without a good crew. If it came down to the cars people drove, NASCAR races would be filled with cars blowing up and drivers constantly slamming into the wall more than they already are. Every sport has similar regulations, NASCAR is just a stickler for the rules, which is a good thing.

Thats why Richard Petty shouldnt be called "The King" because he only won with the help on the Dodge Charger and Plymouth Roadrunners...back then it was not strict like now. All the car were literally stock and it made other drivers not do so hot. I remember when Richard Petty was steamed about everyone paying more attention about Dale Earnhardt Sr. death then his grandson Adam's

b0ba

Postby b0ba » Feb 21st, 2007 at 7:42 pm

i hate it because its stupid and boring

JayPhat
Elite Member

Postby JayPhat » Feb 21st, 2007 at 7:49 pm

b0ba wrote:i hate it because its stupid and boring

And the commentary is awful. Just admit it fucktards, you don't know what they are thinking, whats wrong with their car, or what they are gonna do to fix it.

KillerClown

Postby KillerClown » Feb 22nd, 2007 at 1:37 pm

They are thinking "Today is my day." or "Oh, Fuck." basically. :P
"Truth is treason in the empire of lies." - Ron Paul

Jeng
Elite Member

Postby Jeng » Feb 22nd, 2007 at 5:29 pm

Is there a racing class besides amateur that is lightly modified production cars? Basically production cars with the niceties removed, mild body mods for aerodynamics, and stock engines with run of the mill aftermarket tuning?

If such a racing class like that was popular I think we would be seeing better cars from the big 3.

As is with Nascar the big 3 get to toss their names on cars that have no relation to what they produce, which in turn gives them some pretty damn good advertising.

Return to “General Discussion”