Child sex abuse = death penalty?

Anything and everything goes here... post away!

Moderators: EatMoreLead, Nad, Suck.

WidowMaker
Benefactor

Child sex abuse = death penalty?

Postby WidowMaker » Oct 4th, 2006 at 10:25 am

Texas lawmakers are proposing a law that would allow the death penalty for people convicted of child sex abuse on the 2nd offense. For this law, "child" would be defined as 14 and under. First offense would be 25 years in prison.

This may surprise some of you who like to paint me as some right-wing/neo-con, but I don't like this law. I support the death penalty in cases where someone is killed, and intent can be proven, but that is about it. Don't get me wrong, I think child sex offenders need to face extremely harsh penalties, but execution is too much.

IMHO, 15-30 years in prison for the first offense, and life in prison without parole for the 2nd offense.

What do you guys think?

-Wid
- The AWP god formerly known as 'WidowMaker' [Retired]
-------------------------------------------------------------------
-Game Designer
-Retro Studios - www.retrostudios.com
-If the next Metroid sucks, you will know who to blame.

pyrox420
Elite Member

Postby pyrox420 » Oct 4th, 2006 at 10:32 am

Prison for a sex offender is basically as close to death as possible. (see other post on this topic... too lazy to search)
"You know what the chain of command is? It's the chain I go get and beat you with until you understand who's in ruttin' command here". - Jayne

WidowMaker
Benefactor

Postby WidowMaker » Oct 4th, 2006 at 10:47 am

That is true. Child sex offenders tend to get abused/killed by other prisoners.

Don't get me wrong, if it was a sex crime against my daughter, I would want to personally kill the fucker, but I don't think the govt. should sponsor killing people for sex crimes.

-Wid

-Game Designer

Best_predator
Banished to Siberia

Postby Best_predator » Oct 4th, 2006 at 10:59 am

Yea, i kinda agree with you widow. And seriously like in other topic executing the loser would be an easy off for him. I'd say his inmate friends will do a much better job of punishing him inside 15-30 years.
And i'd want to personally kill the fucker for sex crime against ANYONE's child.
Sneaky bastard...
"Knowing is not enough; we must apply. Willing is not enough; we must do." ~ Goethe

Campsalot

Postby Campsalot » Oct 4th, 2006 at 11:19 am

I think life in prison without parole on first offense.

Burzum
Benefactor

Postby Burzum » Oct 4th, 2006 at 11:24 am

Campsalot wrote:I think life in prison without parole on first offense.

+1

Let him spend the rest of his life being mollested by Bubba. I think it should apply to rape as well. Texas is cool in my book.
Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup.

WidowMaker
Benefactor

Postby WidowMaker » Oct 4th, 2006 at 12:15 pm

Campsalot wrote:I think life in prison without parole on first offense.

I actually agree that that could be a viable maximum penalty on first offense, depending on the facts of the case. Obviously, there is a huge difference between a 40 year old man raping an 8 year old girl, and a 17 year old high school kid having what he thought was consentual sex with a 14 year old girl who told him she was 16.

Therein lies the problem, in matters like this, there is no "one size fits all" punishment that works for every case.

Regardless, execution is not the right answer.

-Wid

-Game Designer

Relic

Postby Relic » Oct 4th, 2006 at 2:01 pm

Child molesters were victimized themselves at a young age. I believe that putting them in prison is a deterrent and punishment that fits the crime.

-Relic

YOU CLICK DRAGON

Jeng
Elite Member

Postby Jeng » Oct 4th, 2006 at 5:39 pm

WidowMaker wrote:Therein lies the problem, in matters like this, there is no "one size fits all" punishment that works for every case.

-Wid

Larger issue is that in most matters "one size fits all" punishments don't work. Whether it be mandatory minumum sentencing for drug offenders, or the three strikes your out rules for DWI. Not only do they not curb crimes, since those who commit them mainly believe that they will get away with the crime, but they also fill our prisons with people who should be getting help.
I really need to change this sig

Deleted User
*poof*

Postby Deleted User » Oct 4th, 2006 at 9:48 pm

From what I've read on the subject, there has never been a child molester who was cured of his desire to molest children.
And I stand by what I said in the other topic. Death is far too good for child molesters. Let the inmates do whatever they wish.
I've been deleted!!

Miracl3

Postby Miracl3 » Oct 4th, 2006 at 10:17 pm

Best_predator wrote:Yea, i kinda agree with you widow. And seriously like in other topic executing the loser would be an easy off for him. I'd say his inmate friends will do a much better job of punishing him inside 15-30 years.
And i'd want to personally kill the fucker for sex crime against ANYONE's child.

lol i loved the fact it didnt take them 15-30 yrs to off J. Dalmer

EatMoreLead
Benefactor

Postby EatMoreLead » Oct 4th, 2006 at 10:29 pm

WidowMaker wrote:...I don't think the govt. should sponsor killing people ...

-Wid

Taken slightly out of context, I agree with you 100%
EatMoreLead aka EML

b0ba

Postby b0ba » Oct 4th, 2006 at 11:35 pm

i think that robbing a child of their innocence is just as bad as killing them. For the rest of their life they will be fucked up, just think if it was your son or daughter who had their innocence stolen, i would want that person to die, and they should die

sX
Elite Member

Postby sX » Oct 5th, 2006 at 12:41 am

b0ba wrote:i think that robbing a child of their innocence is just as bad as killing them. For the rest of their life they will be fucked up, just think if it was your son or daughter who had their innocence stolen, i would want that person to die, and they should die

Geez.. kind of subjective there..

I don't necessarily think their life would be fucked up. People cope with such issues and tend to live great lives. My mother for instance is one of them.

I don't think anyone deserves death nor do I wish it upon my worst enemy.

"Forgive your enemies, but never forget their names."

-sX
(o )^( o) Tetas.

Burzum
Benefactor

Postby Burzum » Oct 5th, 2006 at 7:45 am

I wonder what the world would be like if the victim could chose the sentence. How many that swore off the death penelty would use it and how many that swore to use it wouldn't? I don't think there's a way to know. That's why it's nice that the death penalty isn't mandatory. It's just an option at the judge's discretion.
Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup.

Return to “General Discussion”