War Thunder

Games such as Quake, CounterStrike, Unreal Tournament, Team Fortress, or any 'first person shooter' can be discussed here.

Moderators: EatMoreLead, Suck., Timmy

Catharsys

War Thunder

Postby Catharsys » Aug 5th, 2013 at 9:19 pm

War Thunder is a next generation MMO combat game dedicated to World War II military aviation, armored vehicles, and fleets. You will take part in all of the major combat battles, fighting with real players all over the world.

War Thunder offers a highly detailed and personalized aviation experience, giving players access to hundreds models of planes with detailed cockpits, dozens of upgradeable weapons, and flying skills that can be honed and improved with each mission. Thanks to the game’s painstaking attention to detail, you’ll truly feel like a World War II fighter pilot as you plunge into battle.

The game is still in open beta and only has planes as of current. There are 5 nations that you can level simultaneously. By leveling you unlock the next tier of planes. Starting from biplanes you get into more iconic WW2 planes, and later in the tiers to jet engines.

Planes are acquired as you level and then you can assign to your crews. You level your crews abilities and their performance in an aircraft increases. More survivability, greater g forces taken, more damage they can take before passing out. At anytime you can change a plane for a crew, but you can only have 1 of each plane. IE no 10 crews all with P-51s.

Queuing for battle, you have 3 options: Arcade, Historical Battles, Full Real Battles. These are increasing in realism from A to FRBs. In arcade you have can re-spawn into any of your nations planes that you have assigned until they all are defeated. While Historical you choose which plane you want to fly and once downed you can't re-spawn. Nothing is holding you to the match after that point and you can leave to re-queue.

Controls range from simple mouse to move/aim, to all out joystick control. The mouse system is great, you can still manually control features like flaps (landing, takeoff, combat, air brakes), elevator, aileron, and rudder. While going full joystick, you are not overridden by the mouse trying to fly

As for their pay system, you have Lions which you build up from doing tasks, achievements, and winning missions. Their pay for currency 'Eagles' allows you to level crews faster, purchase PvE style missions, and unlock planes which normally wouldn't be assigned to that nation. They are not necessary and it doesn't feel like a pay 2 win scheme.

Here's my referral if you're interested: http://warthunder.com/en/registration?r=7653766
Last edited by Catharsys on Aug 13th, 2013 at 12:15 am, edited 1 time in total.

K2
Administrator

Re: War Thunder -

Postby K2 » Aug 9th, 2013 at 1:20 am

Watched the trailer. Looks pretty good. Never seen a WWII based MMO before.

Catharsys

Re: War Thunder -

Postby Catharsys » Aug 13th, 2013 at 12:14 am

MMO in a sense that what you do is persistent after a match. Similar to how COD or BF let you level weapons and rank to unlock extras. Matches are 16v16 and last ~15minutes.

KillerClown

Re: War Thunder

Postby KillerClown » Aug 14th, 2013 at 11:38 pm

Oh yeah, the latest and greatest Pay2Win game, especially (primarily :P ) after that last patch. Allowing people paying cash to unlock parts for planes when they haven't earned any experience on them, heavily Pay2Win.
From what I have heard they have been extremely good at listening to their player-base, so hopefully they will diminish their advancement on the P2W track.

It's a good simulator, though (yeah so they have a game-mode called arcade, the difference is only in how much bad maneuvering the plane can work through (having the "instructor" help stabilize bad flight maneuvering) and how the flight model is affected by reality. The biggest issue I have with it is just that, it's a simulator, so specific planes are overpowered, in a general sense (as they were IRL, but IRL you don't have arcade mode which allows dog-fighters to easily turn and catch up to energy fighters (they can't do such in HB/FRB but that point is negated since there is an arcade mode).

I've played a good bit, not an extreme amount though. Constantly hear about the game since people love to compare it to World of Tanks/World of Warplanes (I have nfi why, considering they are 2 completely different styles of game (WoT/ WoWP are much more of an arcade-style, where WT is heavy simulator-style).

In other words, if you know how to fly, WT is the game for you...If you don't, you will struggle unless you play specific planes, and in all cases the majority of players who invest money into parts for their planes will likely outgun you from the get-go, and free players will get reamed constantly, making it that much harder to earn experience to unlock those same parts.

Even World of Tanks has been making moves reducing the Pay2Win aspects of their game, allowing everyone to purchase premium consumables/ammo with earned in-game credits. The vast majority of their premium tanks are technically underpowered for their tier (the benefit of them is the reduced costs in repairs after battles). To reflect back on an earlier statement, in WoT you can convert accumulated experience (from "Elite" tanks (Elite merely means you have researched all of a specific tank's modules and the following tank(s) in its tech tree) to free experience, which can be used for research on any tank you have unlocked, but the key to this is you still have to EARN that experience, not just simply be handed something for a couple dollars.

K2 wrote:Watched the trailer. Looks pretty good. Never seen a WWII based MMO before.

Navy Field, Navy Field 2, Heroes in the Sky, Heroes & Generals, March of War, Company of Heroes Online, Battlefield Heroes...none of those sound familiar? :P

Catharsys wrote:MMO in a sense that what you do is persistent after a match. Similar to how COD or BF let you level weapons and rank to unlock extras. Matches are 16v16 and last ~15minutes.

MMO only has one sense, and that's massively multiplayer online, has nothing to do with how you advance. :P
"Truth is treason in the empire of lies." - Ron Paul

KillerClown

Postby KillerClown » Dec 20th, 2013 at 11:10 am

As an update to this, since it's been a few months.
War Thunder has seen a number of large changes recently, reduced from 20 tiers of planes down to 5, and a massive reworking of the matchmaking system in a major patch 3 days ago, among other things. ground units (i.e. tanks) entered closed beta early this month. I tried to complete the challenges to get in but some of them were quite grueling and I didn't finish them (others I simply didn't have the planes to even attempt the challenges). Haven't got an invite yet, not that the NDA would allow me even say if I was invited (one of the strictest NDA's I have seen in quite a long time really), hoping to get in at some point though. The 2nd phase is slated to start sometime this month also.
The potential of this game, which I kind of denied earlier on, is quite massive. When ground units go in they will be 2/3 of the way to massive battles that involve air, land, and sea combat all together in one game (with the option of playing matches with just one part, or all 3 parts (not sure on 2 parts)).

shot2013.12.2001.02.4mbu7k.jpg
1000kg bomb hitting Sherman medium tank.
shot2013.12.2001.02.4mbu7k.jpg (715.83 KiB) Viewed 4786 times

shot2013.12.2001.04.4r5uhu.jpg
The actual in-game explosion of the 1000kg bomb.
shot2013.12.2001.04.4r5uhu.jpg (455.92 KiB) Viewed 4786 times

KillerClown

Postby KillerClown » Dec 27th, 2013 at 10:17 pm

CUT!
Last edited by KillerClown on Dec 30th, 2013 at 2:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

K2
Administrator

Postby K2 » Dec 28th, 2013 at 1:03 am

Can't you just splice all those pics together to make a short video clip? Or actually record some in-game video, turn it into an .flv or maybe something HTML5 can use? holy crap KC lol

KillerClown

Postby KillerClown » Dec 28th, 2013 at 6:55 am

Hard to retain quality making videos, etc.
But, mostly done that way because it took HOURS just to get those screenshots like I wanted and dealing with the borked built-in replay system in WT. When I got done gathering/sorting through them I didn't feel like trying to make anything else. These are sorted through though, at least, as there are more in some of the chains.
Putting together a video to test quality retention, using these images and the others that aren't here, will link after I upload I guess, but it's really nothing but a slideshow of pictures any way you slice it. :P

[video]http://youtu.be/QACdUeL87Yc[/video]

(Been trying to work on a decent video for WT but there are factors that prevent me from being able to do so ATM. Primarily the replay system - since the last update, replays fade to black in/out every 20 seconds or so and the camera does really funky shit randomly. They did finally get some of the HUD working in the replay system though, hopefully they get it completely fixed at some point, maybe then I will put more effort into making videos.) :P

KillerClown

Postby KillerClown » Dec 30th, 2013 at 2:50 pm

So, testing trying to make decent size for uploading, but maintain some quality, this is OK, but I'll probably adjust quality up just a little, ~9min video came out around 600mb, not too bad, but I can handle about twice that size for an upload, give or take a little. You'll see some of the problems when trying to make videos from replays in this, like the screen fading in and out, the inability to see names as you do in the game, jumpiness of planes, sound doesn't always play when firing forcing you to actually watch for smoke/fire from the guns to see when I'm shooting, etc.
The red and blue target markers are not what you actually see in-game (in arcade battles), you see names normally, and you can enable/disable the markers while playing back a replay, I chose to enable them for visibility.

This is also done in my screen size, since I was testing, 1680x1050, which is a 16:10 ratio, so if you are running 16:9 you'll see letterboxing. Next run(s) will probably be bumped up to 16:9 for HD on YouTube, since I'm figuring out how to use this recording software like I want to.
[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uWUtiOP5Hro[/video]

Return to “FPS/Action Games”