Battlefield 3

Games such as Quake, CounterStrike, Unreal Tournament, Team Fortress, or any 'first person shooter' can be discussed here.

Moderators: EatMoreLead, Suck., Timmy

KillerClown

Battlefield 3

Postby KillerClown » Jul 28th, 2011 at 5:47 pm

Rawr.

bf3alpha.png
bf3alpha.png (937.05 KiB) Viewed 9826 times
"Truth is treason in the empire of lies." - Ron Paul

KillerClown

Re: Battlefield 3

Postby KillerClown » Jul 28th, 2011 at 11:57 pm

Random Website wrote:Firstly, we learn via Twitter from DICE rendering architect Johann Andersson the engine BF3 is built on — Frostbite 2.0 — is “primarily developed for DirectX 11″; XP and DX9 won’t be supported (though you may be able to hack it). Also the engine will be especially optmized for 64-bit.

I sure as hell can't tell that it's supposedly "especially optimized for (Win7) 64-bit".

The worst part is I remember both BC2 and MoH betas, both ran SMOOTH as fuck on my system, but as soon as they hit retail game play went to fuck all, I can only imagine how bad BF3 will be.

Same Random Website wrote:Firstly, you must understand Bad Company 2 was never a “true” Battlefield game, so it’s not fair to assume this is the direction DICE will be heading in, at least on PC. Series associate producer Barrie Tingle has said, “Battlefield Bad Company 2 is NOT a sequel to Battlefield 2 or 2142; it is a sequel to Battlefield Bad Company and as such the list of features matches that of the original game and not that of past Battlefield games.” In other words, it was always intended as an offshoot, not a monster, flagship title like previous games have been.

Also to note:
BF3 will not be purchasable through Steam, only through Origin (EA DRM App). As far I can tell, it likely never will be. Steam requires games to update through the Steam app, and downloading DLC etc. EA doesn't want to allow that in BF3 so, there you go.
BF3 will not be available on XP/DX9, they flat refuse to port it. Literally this game will be a money hogging son of a bitch, not only do they want you to fork out $60+ for the game, you will have to fork out a very large amount of money just to run the game, then let's not forget the later-on scenario of DLC. I get the feeling EA is going to charge for DLC for BF3 even on PC (BC2 PC players got all the DLC free (minus Vietnam which is technically an expansion not ordinary DLC). EA has become extremely greedy over the last few years, hell even over just the last year, it's really getting beyond ridiculous. They absolutely demolished NFSW, all while allowing hackers to play, like they didn't even care as long as it was $ in their pockets. I mean shit, 1,000's of users, in EA's words, "Exploited" an error they released in the game/store, then said "Oh our bad, it's not the users fault they exploited an obvious glitch", even offering them free store credits and shit.

Mass Edit: NDA lulcakes

sX
Elite Member

Postby sX » Sep 6th, 2011 at 6:15 pm

I find this game bullshit so far. Graphics are amazing, etc, but I don't see myself playing this game anytime soon. I have an old system (now) and not even a quad core CPU. Maybe in the later years when I get a new upgrade.

F EA.
(o )^( o) Tetas.

KillerClown

Postby KillerClown » Sep 6th, 2011 at 9:08 pm

Too busy with school & SWTOR to care about BF3 much anymore, when you combine that with how hefty BF3 will be to have decent graphics. MAYBE they will make it run somewhat better than it did in the alpha test, but from my experience with both BC2 and MoH, I'm not entirely convinced that it will be better, more likely to be worse. Both BC2 and MoH betas ran SMOOTH as hell, but as soon as they hit retail they went to shit, I assume it has to do with not implementing the full-on graphics in alpha/beta versus retail.

KillerClown

Postby KillerClown » Sep 24th, 2011 at 1:54 am

Open Beta starts Sept. 29th (Sept. 27th if you preordered the game). I'll most likely install and play it a bit again to test it out during beta, see if the gameplay has smoothed out at all.

Catharsys

Postby Catharsys » Oct 4th, 2011 at 7:26 pm

Been playing BF3 beta. Hit me up, Catharsys on Origin/Battlelog.

KillerClown

Postby KillerClown » Oct 4th, 2011 at 10:50 pm

Catharsys wrote:Been playing BF3 beta. Hit me up, Catharsys on Origin/Battlelog.

It's just too demanding for my system, I need to upgrade my video card. This HD 4770 isn't cutting it anymore. That laggy mouse movement makes the game nearly unplayable for me, I hate that shit. :D

I'm trying to be cheap too and not spend more than $100 for a new card, looks like the best I'm going to get that route is a 6670 or something.

Catharsys

Postby Catharsys » Oct 5th, 2011 at 3:46 am

I'm currently using a GTX 260, but looking to upgrade to a DX11 card. Might wait til after launch and see if I can grab something a bit cheaper. Was aiming for GTX 560 / HD 6870, (~$170) but if prices do drop probably upgrade to GTX 560 Ti (~$240). Still haven't decided if I want to try ATi again.

KillerClown

Postby KillerClown » Oct 5th, 2011 at 12:42 pm

Was looking at getting this card, but the only comparison I can find is showing that the 4770 has better anti-aliasing and a crap-load higher pixel rate? Doesn't make much sense, but the comparison lists the 6670 as "OEM", not sure what exactly that means (I know what OEM means, just not sure how that applies to this card specifically).

KillerClown

Postby KillerClown » Oct 5th, 2011 at 12:57 pm

It's funny actually, I'm not ordering BF3 either way, whether I upgrade my card or not, if I order anything it will be SWTOR, which technically already runs well enough. :P

Edit: Decided to say fuck it and spend a little more... Got this one . (So I guess technically after MIR it's actually cheaper)

Catharsys

Postby Catharsys » Oct 5th, 2011 at 9:59 pm

http://slickdeals.net/permadeal/59854/a ... video-card

Just read the single fans are loud as hell so I'm hesitant.

KillerClown

Postby KillerClown » Oct 6th, 2011 at 11:59 am

Catharsys wrote:http://slickdeals.net/permadeal/59854/amazon.com-xfx-radeon-hd-6770-pci-express-video-card

Just read the single fans are loud as hell so I'm hesitant.

I don't know anything about that site, can't seem to find specs. There are a couple versions of this card ZNxC (replace lowercase x with F or L or 1-2 more, those are the diff models). The ZNFC (the one I ordered), is supposed to be the quieter of the choices, based on the reviews I was reading through on newegg.

Won't get my new card until Monday, so some time Monday night, I MIGHT get to play (depends on how bad Ch.7 is for my networking class (study guide due tues morning)).

KillerClown

Postby KillerClown » Oct 7th, 2011 at 10:28 pm

Newegg having a warehouse in Tn = win. Ordered that card Wednesday got it early this morning (with normal Newegg 3 day shipping), even UPS site was showing Monday delivery lol.
Tested out BF3, man that game is just too f'ing hefty, even with a significantly better card and all settings on low I was still a bit laggy, I will try again at some point and change settings around etc, but the game just wants too much system lol.

Edit: To clarify a little. I don't particularly mean the game itself wants too much system, but the fact you have to have Vista/7 to run the game to begin with already adds a good amount of system requirement, topped with BF3, it's just resource heavy.

Catharsys

Postby Catharsys » Oct 26th, 2011 at 3:44 am

Picked up BF3 when it was 40 dollars, and purchased a 560Ti for it. Man does the game look better than beta. If you want to party up I'm Catharsys on Origin/Battlelog.

sX
Elite Member

Postby sX » Oct 26th, 2011 at 10:25 pm

Geez.. how much did you spend for that card?
(o )^( o) Tetas.

KillerClown

Postby KillerClown » Oct 27th, 2011 at 7:56 pm

sX wrote:Geez.. how much did you spend for that card?

Depends on which one you get, they start around $200 for the 800-820mhz core clock versions, up to $250'ish for the 900mhz core clock versions, not too bad really.

Catharsys

Postby Catharsys » Oct 27th, 2011 at 11:17 pm

$244 MSI Twin Frozr II/OC, -$20 Mail in rebate, -$30 Sold new Batman game that was a promotional item. Game looks amazing at high+ultra settings. I'm running at 1920x1080 and its extremely smooth.

sX
Elite Member

Postby sX » Jan 4th, 2012 at 4:37 pm

I'm playing this game on a (now) 4 year old computer. The graphics are simply amazing on everything LOW. I just wonder what it'll look like on high.

The sound is simply amazing. The bullets flying by your ear, the jets in the air, the sound and feel of the actual pistols are just extremely realistic. Love it.

I don't like the game play though. It falls short to battlefield bc2 and BF2. The game play is just simply too realistic at times. Unnecessary animation of you jumping over walls or even stairs (?) are ridiculous. I don't like the holding of the left button to aim with any weapon. I hate the sniper reload. If you stay zoomed in after you fired a round, it won't auto reload. you have to unzoom and it'll reload. The tanks are sometimes a bit too overpowered and the gun switching is really annoying now. Oh.. and let's not get started on the joining servers and actually getting into the game. I mean, come on.. a web page? You have to enter through a web page and not the actual game itself? COME ON. It's ridiculous.

There's soooo much to rant about, but honestly I don't have 30 minutes to sit and type. I'm sure it'll have to grow on me like any game. I think it just needs a lot of tweaking. LOTS of tweaking.

Bleh.
(o )^( o) Tetas.

sX
Elite Member

Postby sX » Jan 6th, 2012 at 10:52 pm

NM.. found out how to do a left click aim without holding it down.

Still mad though..
(o )^( o) Tetas.

KillerClown

Postby KillerClown » Jan 7th, 2012 at 5:50 am

sX wrote:I'm playing this game on a (now) 4 year old computer. The graphics are simply amazing on everything LOW. I just wonder what it'll look like on high.

The sound is simply amazing. The bullets flying by your ear, the jets in the air, the sound and feel of the actual pistols are just extremely realistic. Love it.

I don't like the game play though. It falls short to battlefield bc2 and BF2. The game play is just simply too realistic at times. Unnecessary animation of you jumping over walls or even stairs (?) are ridiculous. I don't like the holding of the left button to aim with any weapon. I hate the sniper reload. If you stay zoomed in after you fired a round, it won't auto reload. you have to unzoom and it'll reload. The tanks are sometimes a bit too overpowered and the gun switching is really annoying now. Oh.. and let's not get started on the joining servers and actually getting into the game. I mean, come on.. a web page? You have to enter through a web page and not the actual game itself? COME ON. It's ridiculous.

There's soooo much to rant about, but honestly I don't have 30 minutes to sit and type. I'm sure it'll have to grow on me like any game. I think it just needs a lot of tweaking. LOTS of tweaking.

Bleh.

------------

NM.. found out how to do a left click aim without holding it down.

Still mad though..

Rofl.
The graphics have no choice but to be amazing , even on low settings. It requires Win Vista/7 for a reason, the Frostbite 2 engine doesn't even support DirectX 9, at all (10/11 only). lol

I actually just played Need for Speed: The Run at a friends house earlier tonight (on PS3), it has some awesome graphics (the only other game currently using the Frostbite 2 engine), though the game really.... sucks.... overall. Lots of nice cars, but the plot is a race cross-country from San Francisco to New York. Me and my friend got to stage 9 (of 10) tonight, we spent probably 3.5-4+ hours playing (includes about 1 hour 45 minutes of actual driving time). They promote the game as "competing with friends" but afaik you can't do the entire cross-country race against them (it's more you are just comparing your progress (and track times basically) through the storyline vs your friends). I found it kinda boring, and lacking much individual gameplay, and a pretty crappy/needless storyline, racing was ok (along the same general lines of most NFS titles, even the "Challenging" handling-rated cars were fairly manageable).

A lot of the things you complained about for BF3 I would summarize as 'the shit that I edited out of my 2nd post in this thread due to NDA I decided to "abide" by. Way too many issues, for me, to spend $60 on it. I think it's probably better as a console game, mainly because of the whole loading a webpage crap, equal to several free-to-play games I've run across, terrible idea.

I really am on the verge of joining the "fuck EA" crowd, I haven't liked them for a while and they've been very steadily pushing me in that direction. SWTOR is ok, but even it feels limited in terms of gaming in the current market, most games do to me, dunno if it's just "me" getting older, or if "the same old shit" is what's getting older (I'm thinking the latter :P ), as that's what pretty much all games seem like anymore. I can't really remember the last time I played a game that was able to really hold my interest beyond an hour or so.

I've had a lot of excess free-time lately and have been excessively bored lol. Thankfully, I start back in class again Monday, that will knock down 10 hours a week for class time and hopefully a considerable amount more in "homework" time... I love stuffing my brain with information, now if it would keep everything I told it and not just the stuff that "I" decide is important. :P

I did pretty well last semester, though one of two classes was just beginner/intermediate algebra and the other was the basic networking class. Ended math (about a week and a half early) exempt from the final exam with a 100 final grade (98 + 2 pts for not missing more than so many days), finished networking with a 97 (this class was fun because the bulk of it was about subnetting/VLSM, which I had no real understanding of before this class besides very limited knowledge of how IP's worked, didn't know jack about subnet masking...which I then took and blew even the teacher out of the water on, constantly correcting his mistakes). Would be nice if I can continue that trend this semester. lol

And yes I have taken this post in an entirely different direction within itself. :P
/End 0500 Ramble Transmission :twisted:

sX
Elite Member

Postby sX » Jan 12th, 2012 at 2:49 pm

Thanks KC.. for the life update..

lol..

Yeah, I hate it, but I still can't stop playing it. Prolly 'cause it's new and all that. I haven't played the campaign and I heard that this BF has one. I wanna play it all the way through, but haven't the time..
(o )^( o) Tetas.

KillerClown

Postby KillerClown » Jan 16th, 2012 at 3:14 pm

Well, I wouldn't exactly call that a life update, as there are many aspects of my life which were not mentioned, like my dad still being in jail almost 2 years later with still only 1 real bond hearing and DA who doesn't seem to be submitting the discovery as they are supposed to. Seems like every few months the DA goes and gathers all of the letters/recorded phone calls from the jail and then submits them as "evidence" to drag this shit out further and further.
And many other things I won't mention. :p

Edit: My statements are basically hearsay, as I'm not really involved with his lawyer, the DA, or anyone else in this shit. All I have to go by is what's told to me.

Miracl3

Postby Miracl3 » Feb 21st, 2012 at 7:35 pm

Well im on Xbox 360 on bf3...Fucking choppers are stupid for flying close to me when im in a tank. I have shot down more choppers with the standard tank weapon then guided missiles

Catharsys

Postby Catharsys » Feb 23rd, 2012 at 11:17 am

Patch updates are out for PC at least. A lot of tweaking going out for the better. Still lonely on the PC side.

http://battlelog.battlefield.com/bf3/ne ... 195992365/

JayPhat
Elite Member

Postby JayPhat » Apr 10th, 2012 at 12:32 pm

Catharsys wrote:Patch updates are out for PC at least. A lot of tweaking going out for the better. Still lonely on the PC side.

http://battlelog.battlefield.com/bf3/ne ... 195992365/

Added. Now don't ignore me.

Return to “FPS/Action Games”