COD Black Ops Ihia Style...

Games such as Quake, CounterStrike, Unreal Tournament, Team Fortress, or any 'first person shooter' can be discussed here.

Moderators: EatMoreLead, Suck., Timmy

PumpActionJackson

COD Black Ops Ihia Style...

Postby PumpActionJackson » Nov 8th, 2010 at 8:21 pm

Hey fuckers long time no speak. I havent posted here in ages but I drop by and spy on you guys every once in awhile.... /creepy stalker style

Just wanted to see what everyone was up to and drop a line to let you know that I am renting a Black Ops server if any of you plan on playing I would love to game with you guys. Anyways just wanted to say hey. Here is the server info if you wanna drop by feel free :D

:IHIA: RANKED Black OPS Server:1
173.199.101.2:3074

Will probably be HQ and Domination waiting to see what playlists are offered.

Holla back....
You might recognize me. I am the black guy from PREDATOR.

JayPhat
Elite Member

Re: COD Black Ops Ihia Style...

Postby JayPhat » Nov 8th, 2010 at 10:57 pm

You lost me at Call of Duty....

Maverick
Elite Member

Postby Maverick » Nov 9th, 2010 at 12:56 am

Hey Pump, that's cool that you're setting up a server and thanks for letting us know. Unfortunately, I got burned out on MW2 quick like, so sitting out on Black Ops for now. Maybe I'll get it on Black Friday if it's on sale.
"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing..."
-Edmund Burke

Kavv
Fresh Meat

Postby Kavv » Nov 15th, 2010 at 8:52 pm

after running into my first batch of cheaters i started googling for some black ops servers w/ active admins...then i thought hmmm wonder if hardfought is still running servers. couldn't see any so i did a forum post for 'ihia'. not dissapointed.

- kavv/ender/pat

K2
Administrator

Postby K2 » Nov 15th, 2010 at 9:11 pm

Good shit. Pump, how's the server workin out for you guys so far?

PumpActionJackson

Postby PumpActionJackson » Nov 16th, 2010 at 7:37 pm

Server is up and running just fine. Trying to build up a following so we can keep it full. It's a little difficult right now seeing as there are about 10k servers as of now lol. Should be a little easier once the herd starts thinning out.

Think i saw you on the server the other day Ender. Didnt recognize the name you were playing under, be sure to make your presence known if you visit again. If anyone decides to pick up the game be sure to drop in and say hey.
Except for sX everyone hates him.

K2
Administrator

Postby K2 » Nov 16th, 2010 at 7:46 pm

Hey pump, are you renting or using your own hardware? Reason I ask is because I still have both HF servers in a rack doin nothing... might be time to finally unload 'em to someone who can put them to good use.

Kavv
Fresh Meat

Postby Kavv » Nov 17th, 2010 at 10:38 am

yeah it was me, in game i'll be [IcoN] Kavv

been trying to hop into ihia server whenever it has a couple people in to try to get it populated

PumpActionJackson

Postby PumpActionJackson » Nov 17th, 2010 at 7:32 pm

K2 wrote:Hey pump, are you renting or using your own hardware? Reason I ask is because I still have both HF servers in a rack doin nothing... might be time to finally unload 'em to someone who can put them to good use.

It is rented unfortunately. Activision isnt letting people run servers on there own hardware. They pigeon holed everyone into renting them from gameservers.com .

I would love to take you up on the offer for the HF servers but I honestly wouldn't even know where to begin as far as running my own dedicated server to that extent. I am not the most tech savvy of fellows. But I do appreciate the offer and if I ever become motivated enough to actually figure out how to run a server/website I would definitely hit you up and try and toss a few bucks your way for the setup.

Out of sheer curiosity.... How difficult is it to setup and maintain a server and website? I think I just kind of took it for granted when I played here all those years and never really thought about the amount of work it took for you to make it happen.

KillerClown

Postby KillerClown » Nov 18th, 2010 at 10:52 pm

PumpActionJackson wrote:Out of sheer curiosity.... How difficult is it to setup and maintain a server and website? I think I just kind of took it for granted when I played here all those years and never really thought about the amount of work it took for you to make it happen.

A website is pretty easy to maintain, depending on the amount of effort put into it, how much coding etc. A website like Harfought would be surprisingly easy to handle, except the fact K2 put in his own time and effort into customizing the theme and adding mods and such, if you use custom themes and/or mods for forums like this it's a bit tougher to maintain because updates will want to overwrite your changes, so a lot of stuff has to be done manually (This can go both ways also, sometimes it's easier to just update the existing files with the new code, other times you will have no choice but add the custom code from the old files into the new updated files). This can even work against you in reference to the mods you have installed because some mods actually edit code themselves. But if you are using one of the built-in themes (for most any forum system you could choose from), when they are updated, the theme should be updated just fine.

A game server can be harder or easier, really depends on the game and how it's server system works. If you are intending on doing everything yourself it will likely be a lot you will have to learn (again this varies, depending on game you are running etc). There may be tweaks or other things you can do to improve your servers performance (like CSS servers used to run WAY better if you opened Windows Media Player on the server (I don't know if this still works or not, and basically I don't care because Valve slaughtered CSS)). A lot of games now that allow you to run a server generally come with an .exe you run, and usually are pretty simple to configure. CSS for example you only need to install steam on the server and just have it download/install CSS Dedicated Server (you may also still be able to get it as a separate application, so you don't need to sign up a steam acct just to run the server). You also may have the choice of running the game server either on a Windows server, or on a Linux server (CSS as an example again can be run on either). Though it depends on your own personal operating system knowledge, I've heard a Linux CSS server was more stable, ran better, and was easier to setup/config, my only experience is with a Windows based box.

When KCC was kickin' strong I maintained our website and the clan leader maintained the game servers... both of which were located on one single machine that we rented, using Remote Desktop in Windows (*RDC*) to connect to the servers desktop. From there everything could be controlled, whether it be the website or the game servers. I say he maintained the game servers but that meant he did all of about nothing after installing/configuring, in fact, I'm the only one who did anything with the game servers after he got them running, and that was only to setup HLstatsX. :P

In this case (KCC), I would personally say setting up & maintaining the website was MUCH more work than setting up the game servers, I literally had to go in through RDC, add IIS (Add/Remove Windows Components) and all needed applications (PHP, MySQL, etc.) before I could even begin to start setting up the actual website itself. Not to mention setting up HLstatsX and all of it's requirements. Whereas all he had to do was go in manually install/configure our servers, took him a couple hours at most vs my couple days to get the website setup properly. :P

Addition:
Personally, I would highly recommend having your website hosted separately (like K2, he pays a fee (monthly/bi-monthly/quarterly/yearly/whatever) for hosting (where the site is located) and ran the game servers off the box he spoke of (at least in the end, I don't really know the full progression of his hosting services throughout Hardfoughts existence)). But paying for webhosting service makes it MUCH easier to do just about anything on your website, you don't have to struggle with installing PHP, MySQL, and whatever else, and ensuring you have it installed in the correct order and ensuring you have the correct versions installed (yes these can be a huge pain in the ass), and then ensuring that everything is working properly.

It also allows you to concentrate the game-server box on the game-server itself, not having to stress over whether PHP/MySQL/etc are going to drag the system down during peak times. Though we didn't really have that problem on KCC, including during times when the stats were updating (until we started running 30+ redirecters, it could get pretty nasty during stats update then lol but that's the price you pay to be a high ranked server (#3 on GameSpy in its prime)).

Note:
Edited this a couple times to fill in some extra info, may have some redundancies within. :twisted:
"Truth is treason in the empire of lies." - Ron Paul

K2
Administrator

Postby K2 » Nov 20th, 2010 at 1:23 pm

PumpActionJackson wrote:Out of sheer curiosity.... How difficult is it to setup and maintain a server and website? I think I just kind of took it for granted when I played here all those years and never really thought about the amount of work it took for you to make it happen.

To add what KC said, specific to HF - it wasn't too hard, but it wasn't a cakewalk either. In reality, you could have a functioning website up in a matter of minutes, as well as a server - they're gonna suck though. The real effort was making both into something that players would want to come back to. You're gonna learn this in maintaining your black ops server ;)

KillerClown

Postby KillerClown » Nov 21st, 2010 at 3:33 am

Judging by GameServers.com information, I don't think they have very much access to their Black Ops server, maybe a little control panel to change the game type etc.

GameServers.com wrote:
    Access Restrictions:
  • With Control Panel: If you select to have the control panel installed, remote desktop or root access will be disabled.
  • Without Control Panel: If you select no control panel, you have full root or remote desktop access to customize and manage your server.
  • Please Note: If you intended to run Call of Duty Black Ops on your dedicated server, remote desktop and FTP access will be disabled. You will also be unable to run any games other then Black Ops, Medal of Honor, and Bad Company 2.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Licensed software: Most servers binaries are free. However, there are a few exceptions:
  • America's Army Honor - To host this game, per instance licenses must be purchased.
  • BF 2142 and Battlefield 2 Ranked - licenses are not for sale by their respective developers and cannot be hosted on dedicated boxes.
  • Ventrilo - licenses are not for sale by their respective developers and cannot be hosted on dedicated boxes.
  • Bad Company 2 - You can install BC2 on our dedicated servers using our control panel, but you will not have root or remote desktop access (as required by Electronic Arts and DICE).

Sounds like basically you get a preconfigured server, you click a button/link and the control panel installs your game, likely only gives you a few options. I would guess that would be why Activision/Treyarch forced everyone into using only gs.com servers. Helps with eliminating custom/hacked servers on a ranked game. I could be wrong, but this sounds fairly logical. :P
Much the same as EA/Dice have done with Battlefield BC2 & Medal of Honor (shown above).
"Truth is treason in the empire of lies." - Ron Paul

Return to “FPS/Action Games”