Alien Breed: Impact

Games such as Quake, CounterStrike, Unreal Tournament, Team Fortress, or any 'first person shooter' can be discussed here.

Moderators: EatMoreLead, Suck., Timmy

K2
Administrator

Alien Breed: Impact

Postby K2 » Jun 12th, 2010 at 10:37 am

This just happened to catch my eye on Steam this morning, it came out about a week ago. It's a remake of the highly popular 'Alien Breed' that came out in 1991 for MS-DOS and Amiga. I actually still have the original, box and everything.

Gonna give it a whirl and I'll let ya know what I think of it. The original was basically a top-down shooter (1 or 2 players) very reminiscent of the 'Alien' movie franchise. This is basically the same using modern day graphics, and includes the ability to co-op.

K2
Administrator

Re: Alien Breed: Impact

Postby K2 » Jun 12th, 2010 at 12:13 pm

Hmm well, dont waste your money on this one. It uses the Unreal 3 engine, so the eye candy is nice, but the movement controls are fucked up, not intuitive at all, and it becomes mind-numbingly boring after about 10 min of play. Just wasted 20 bucks.

KillerClown

Postby KillerClown » Jun 12th, 2010 at 11:24 pm

Pwned.
There's a reason it's a week old and only $20. :P

Only cheap game I've gotten recently that was any fun was Madballs. :D
"Truth is treason in the empire of lies." - Ron Paul

K2
Administrator

Postby K2 » Jun 12th, 2010 at 11:44 pm

Cost doesnt always equal how good a game will be. Best game EVER made - Nethack, price - $0.

Timmy

Postby Timmy » Jun 13th, 2010 at 9:54 am

Puhlease, Nethack? if your idea of fun is restarting 5 billion times until you get lucky and don't die. Reminds me of Telengard on my commodore 64, a game played with a fucking cassette tape!

I reviewed Stranded 2, pretty fun game, and it's free, fairly easy to mod too judging by all the mods in the works.

I'm waiting on UFO:the two sides which is a fan remake of the old x-com turn based strategy, unlike the lame ass new X-com coming out that has absolutely nothing to do with the series other than trying to lure buyers by using the name....

FreeOrion is free another fan created game based off Masters of Orion 2, although the current release doesn't offer races other than human.

Some good free stuff out there, and some killer low end stuff, but just like the high end games you still gotta weed through all the shit.

Tim~

K2
Administrator

Postby K2 » Jun 13th, 2010 at 10:08 am

Timmy wrote:Puhlease, Nethack? if your idea of fun is restarting 5 billion times until you get lucky and don't die.

Restart? It's called SKILL and making the right choices at the right time. Of couse dumb luck can get ya killed, but I stand by my claim. Nethack, best game EVER. If I had the cash, I'd do a modern day remake and do it right. I'd even hire you Timmy as my QA.

Curious Timmy... what is your favorite game ever? I dont think you've ever said.

Timmy

Postby Timmy » Jun 13th, 2010 at 2:41 pm

C'mon K2, Nethack involves tons of luck since it's so randomized, You yourself said in another post that you had finally finished it, took you how many years? And you never ever died and had to restart, right?

Favorite game ever? Ummm several come to mind: Arcanum, Planescape:Torment, Moo2(which I still play today), Starcraft (single player I don't do multi), Bioshock 1 & 2, Deus Ex, Uncharted, Battlefield:Bad Company, Final Fantasy 7 (the only one I wanted to finish), Farcry, Thief 1-3, Dead Space.

To impress me I want either killer game play (like Moo2, literally no flaws, and infinite replay value), or at least a solid interesting story that keeps me playing even if the game play isn't that great (like FF7). Starcraft had an interesting storyline and it was the first RTS that I could play and be successful playing my style and not having to play the "one way" to beat each level. Arcanum was awesome (gonna try to find this one again), as was Planescape which made the mediocre AD&D system fun. Bad Company was just a typical shooter but the characters had me in stitches, I've played through it like 5 times despite the fact that its exactly the same, same with Uncharted. Thief was great, I wonder why they abandoned it, good FPS variant that had multiple was of accomplishing goals. Deus Ex did the RPG/FPS blend pretty good, I heard System Shock did it well too but never played em. Bioshock had a great story, loved the layout and all. Dead Space was pretty scary and didn't use cheap shit like Doom3's monster popping out of a wall behind you x infinity for its "fear" factor. Farcry I loved becuase it was the first FPS (I know of) that was totally open, you could approach targets from different angles, no pigeonholing you into obvious ambush/chockepoints that you HAD to go through.

Think that covers it. I think our nethack difference is I want to explore, not spend endless hours crunching information. I'll map, I enjoy that but keeping a diary of info because the game doesn't give it to you isn't my cup of tea.

Tim~

K2
Administrator

Postby K2 » Jun 13th, 2010 at 4:41 pm

Yeah Nethack has a lot to do with luck... in fact, the state of the moon can affect your gameplay (new moon decreases your luck, full moon increases it). I never claimed that I never ever died, but there are no 'lives' per se - if you dont save your game, that's it, you're done. And that is how Nethack tourney's are played. That's taking the game to a WHOLE other level, that's outta my league.

I have played a few of the games you've listed (Starcraft, Plantescape: Torment, and Deus Ex). They were all good, but I dunno, I guess there's something about NH that always brings me back. I remember playing it when it was just 'Hack' back in 1982-83 on an old Tandy system, green on black, that's it for colors, with the built-in 5¼ inch floppy drives.

Seriously tho, if I ever win the lottery or find a big-money backer, I'd make Nethack for modern day, stay true to the storyline and capabilities, maybe improve a couple things here and there, but it would be THE fucking game to play, over and over. There's still enough of us here with tons of accumilated game experience, we could make a kick-ass fuckin' title. Need to get Widowmaker on board to get the shit started :P

Timmy

Postby Timmy » Jun 13th, 2010 at 10:10 pm

It was one of the first dungeon crawls, there's one out now called Torchlight I looked at but it seems too much like Fate which was pretty weaksauce.

http://www.hojamaka.com/game/mamono_sweeper/en.html

Flash minesweeper variant, kinda fun :)

Tim~

KillerClown

Postby KillerClown » Jun 14th, 2010 at 9:50 pm

K2 wrote:Cost doesnt always equal how good a game will be. Best game EVER made - Nethack, price - $0.

Now-a-days it does. :P
Hard to find games really interesting, or worth playing, anymore.

I preordered Need for Speed World Online, been playing a little Everquest II lately but starting to slack off.
"Truth is treason in the empire of lies." - Ron Paul

Return to “FPS/Action Games”