Red Dead Redemption

Games such as Quake, CounterStrike, Unreal Tournament, Team Fortress, or any 'first person shooter' can be discussed here.

Moderators: EatMoreLead, Suck., Timmy

Timmy

Red Dead Redemption

Postby Timmy » May 28th, 2010 at 10:23 am

As most know I'm not a fan of the GTA series, that said I decided to give this game a try.

I'm roughly 1/3 through it now so my "review" is based on the early game. I'm really not getting the honor system in the game, you need honor to get quests and stuff but they give you lots of "rpg" oportunities to lose it, kinda like they were gonna let you be evil but dropped that at the last minute? The dead eye system is pretty cool, a little twist on Max Paynes bullet time, it lets you "paint" targets to shoot allowing multiple targets to be filled with lead once you leave "dead eye time". The painting splashes an X over spots on a living target wherever the reticule is moved, so you can "paint" say a badguys arms, legs, groin, and head then leave dead eye time and just annihilate him, or target 3 baddies gun arms and laugh when you disarm all 3. Unfortunately this doesn't have friend/foe recognition and will target anything you "paint", this is annoying because the reticule automatically paints, you don't click or anything to do it. In saving a person from 3 coyotes I accidentally painted his leg (bushes and terrain "help"), so rather than thank me for just injuring him but saving his life I get attempted murder and a posse after me...

This leads to some other complaints, critters, apparently in Rockstars old west Coyotes were vicious maneaters.... They attack on sight, and while not a real threat unless you aren't paying attention it is annoying being attacked by the most common animal all the time. Wolves are rarer but a bit more dangerous, still no real threat, Boars about the same (again both are always aggro....), Cougars (yes they use the MILF name rather than Mountain Lion...) are a different story, 2 hits and yer dead, so Cougars are more deadly than most gun shots (3-5 to drop you usually). Throw in Rockstars shitty spawn system (I've seen things "fall" into the game), and the run speed of a Cougar and you have a stealth killing game restarter... Oh and one challenge has you trying to kill Cougars with your knife JOY! The critters aside from coyotes and various birds are fairly rare, so hunting a specific one even in areas they're known to spawn in can be very tedious, think MMO grinding....

Horse riding is pretty good, so thats an improvement from GTA's shitty driving physics, the only real downside is I haven't noticed a speed difference despite horses being rated slow, average, and fast. No need to buy one either as very early in the game you'll get a "fast" breed free. The horse is immortal, if it gets killed (like by a single hit from a cougar) you just whistle and it spawns a short ways away and runs to you... So once you have a fast horse you're set for life.

more to come....

Timmy

Re: Red Dead Redemption

Postby Timmy » May 28th, 2010 at 10:40 am

Dunno whats up with the forum but sometimes my posts get wonky, blips it to the bottom of the screen so I can see what I type and when I scroll down it just blips again (maybe cuz my posts get too big?).

Anyhow so horses are fun to ride but all the different breeds seem to be just filler since 2-3 beginner missions in you'll get the best speed free....

Guns, hmmmm, so far I have 3 rifles, 2 pistols and 2 shotguns. The shotgun seems useless, and does the pistol since the rifles have better range than both, better damage than pistols, more shots than both, and the ammo is pretty common. Also there isn't any difference in dead eye time (at least for rifles/pistols). I've pretty much used the rifle exclusively except when forced by the game to use a pistol (like in duels). I haven't gotten a sniper rifle yet, but that will probably be the only thing to replace the rifle for me (I prefer killing from far off, keeps me from being the killed).

Mini-games, good and bad, Liars dice is pretty fun but so far the AI almost never bluffs which makes the game much easier for you, especially when its down to you and 1 AI. Blackjack is Blackjack, if you like the game you'll prolly like it in-game, but the payoff is pretty mild 2:1 for regular hands so I've only done it for achievements (money hasn't been an issue so no need to play to work up funds). Poker haven't tried yet, but it looks like it'll be fun. Horseshoes is utter crap, not fun, not rewarding, and seems way random, once you "aim" all you control is power/height of the toss yet you'll still throw way to the left or right so whats the point? Also even with a "perfect" power toss you'll still undershoot and overshoot. Haven't played 5 finger pokey but it looks like it'll run like a Simon variant, click the right button when its on the screen thing, so imho boring...

The NPCs can get annoying but if you've played any GTA's you're used to annoying ass npcs you can't kill. Also apparently in Rockstars old west virtually everyone is batshit insane and necrophilia is all the rage...

So far despite some of my gripes its been pretty fun, I don't see it having much replay value unless some other mode is unlocked when you finish it, so for my console forum mates I'd say rent rather than buy.

Tim~

Best_predator
Banished to Siberia

Postby Best_predator » May 29th, 2010 at 4:47 am

Love your reviews. Thanks. Keep em coming.
Sneaky bastard...
"Knowing is not enough; we must apply. Willing is not enough; we must do." ~ Goethe

Timmy

Postby Timmy » May 29th, 2010 at 5:24 pm

5 finger pokey is crap, there's 3 levels, the first is easy, but then it goes ridiculous even with a minimum bet (supposedly easier), apparently being able to do 3 buttons in alternating sequences at the speed of sound is doable for anyone..... we wont even mention that the 3rd level is 4 button sequences, oh and of course you HAVE to win at this to unlock a costume..... Way to force people to play your shitty implimented mini-games Cockstar....

Hunting IMHO was put in so they could jack up the playtime level because nothing kills time more than spending 8 hours of real time trying to find 5 skunks.... Bait never works, it just draws the rabble crap (coyotes, wolves, deer), despite being a Bounty hunter and potential master hunter you can't track at all....

All in all the more I play the worse the game gets, it's the typical lazy ass Rockstar style, lame random spawns, missions that force you to be a complete asshat becuase heaven forbid they make a game with a good AND evil path and let the player choose. Glitchy AI which sometimes has random townspeople start shooting at you (and they don't show as hostile on the mini-map) so basically run away or risk losing honor when you shoot an innocent.

I figured out the horse difference, it's just a matter of spurred speed duration, the better horses can be spurred more often and recover energy faster but it's really not needed, I've made due with mediocre horses in a pinch.

Poker is 7 card Texas Hold-em style, not my prefered poker but still kinda fun, at least its not 5 card pokey, horse shoes or the button mashing hell of Arm Wrestling (while trying to "read" the opponents face who always looks like he's shitting, but to Rockstar there is some sort of noticeable change...).

I'm through with Rockstar, I'll leave their mediocre un-intuitive gamestyle to the fanbois.

Tim~

Tang

Postby Tang » Jun 25th, 2010 at 7:06 pm

A little late for this and your Red Faction review, but you do not mention the Multi Player aspect in any of them... Been a while now so have you tried the MP and if so do you enjoy them? I have both games, just recently picked up Red Faction since it was 20 bucks, hardly play them because I have geeked out on MTGO again. :oops:

Timmy

Postby Timmy » Jun 25th, 2010 at 8:54 pm

Lately due to lack of money I've been picking the games up when the price drops, however I got Red Dead Redemption pretty close to the release date, maybe 3 weeks after at the most.

I generally only play the single player parts of games, if I want a multiplayer game I'll go for something that is either strictly multiplayer, or has very little single player (like the latest Modern Warfare). Games with extensive single player campaigns usually have serious balance issues in multiplayer so I don't even bother trying out any multiplayer options.

Tim~

Return to “FPS/Action Games”