Upgrade

Games such as Quake, CounterStrike, Unreal Tournament, Team Fortress, or any 'first person shooter' can be discussed here.

Moderators: EatMoreLead, Suck., Timmy

Which upgrade do I choose?

Assault (G3)
40%
Support (PKM)
47%
Engineer (MK3A1)
13%

Total votes: 15

I Want Some Taquitos

Upgrade

Postby I Want Some Taquitos » Dec 20th, 2005 at 4:54 pm

So, I just got Gunnery Sarg and I left with a choice...what upgrade do i get now? I'm a long way off from 25,000 pts, so this upgrade has to help rack up the kills. My last choice was the medic upgrade, which i hate, that gun's sights suck imo. So, I'm only left with three possible upgrades, keep in mind that I'm gonna get special forces soon, so if there's some really sweet gun in that for some kit let me know...

Phoenix
Elite Member

Postby Phoenix » Dec 20th, 2005 at 5:49 pm

Wait and unlock the SCAR-L in SF, best gun in the game imho.
Former HF clan member, server admin, all around troll

"You don't do things right once-in-a-while. You do them right all the time."- Vince Lombardi

EatMoreLead
Benefactor

Postby EatMoreLead » Dec 20th, 2005 at 7:08 pm

scar-l roxx, but you need to have the 1st spec forces unlock (G36C) before you can get the SCAR-L as secondary unlock for that kit. The SF unlocks come after the BF2 unlock for that kit. And when you get SF, you will get 2-3 unlocks (I forget) for free. Sweet huh? Of your list, the GS3 is best, the engie guns suck, and the support guns are all the same imho - higly inaccurate
EatMoreLead aka EML

Servo

Postby Servo » Dec 20th, 2005 at 8:16 pm

once you get SF, the flashbang becomes an unlock for regular BF2, but you need to unlock the G3 first if I remember correctly.

I Want Some Taquitos

Postby I Want Some Taquitos » Dec 20th, 2005 at 8:39 pm

wait, so you have to "buy" unlocks for SF too? I thought they unlocked any upgrade once you "bought" the upgrade in BF2?

Catalyst22
Elite Member

Postby Catalyst22 » Dec 20th, 2005 at 9:08 pm

unlock f2000 and in SF you get it, G36, flashbangs, and grappling hook. The best combo in the whole game (AK/GP30 is better, but still)
“When you have the facts on your side, argue the facts. When you have the law on your side, argue the law. When neither is on your side, change the subject and question the motives of the opposition.â€

EatMoreLead
Benefactor

Postby EatMoreLead » Dec 20th, 2005 at 9:11 pm

I think suck can best describe this - but I'll give it a shot.

In bf2 you earn unlocks with new ranks. The bf2 unlocks work in SF. In SF you also earn unlocks at eadch new rank, however you must first have the regular bf2 unlock before you can unlock the SF specific unlock. Then once you get the SF-specific unlocked gun, you can use it in that kit, even in regular BF2. You cannot however use grappling hooks or zip lines because the maps have to be designed for them. One dissapointment was when I found you can't use grappling hook in the USS GAtor map - the aircraft takeover map. Pretty sad, as grappling hooking up to flight deck makes perfect sense to me. But I digress. The best part of buying SF is once you get 10 kills you get 2 extra free unlocks - for bf2 gun unlocks, or for SF unlocks if you already have the regular unlock for that kit.

So to make this more clear. If you have the assault unlock for bf2, the next time you get a new rank, you can unlock the SF kit for assault. That includes grappling hook and flashbang, but you can't use the hook on regular bf maps. I think you can use the flashbangs and tear gas though - however I'm not certain.
EatMoreLead aka EML

EatMoreLead
Benefactor

Postby EatMoreLead » Dec 20th, 2005 at 9:11 pm

f2000 is overrated, I like gs3 better
EatMoreLead aka EML

sohpriest

Postby sohpriest » Dec 21st, 2005 at 12:08 am

so should have some free unlocks in SF now. I have 10 kills. Do I use them in Sf or plain BF?
"I am Jack's smirking revenge."

EatMoreLead
Benefactor

Postby EatMoreLead » Dec 21st, 2005 at 12:48 am

you have to unlock the regular bf2 kit first, ONLY then can you do a 2nd unlock for the same class in SF. If you really like a certain SF gun, then unlock that kit twice to get the SF kit regardless of army you play, plus you get it in regular bf2
EatMoreLead aka EML

PumpActionJackson

Postby PumpActionJackson » Dec 21st, 2005 at 1:28 am

Does it still work where you have someone log into BF2:SF and play on your account for the ten kills, then once they have done that you have the unlocks available to you?

Cuz if this does work I would be really greatful if someone could plz do this for me. 8)
You might recognize me. I am the black guy from PREDATOR.

Best_predator
Banished to Siberia

Postby Best_predator » Dec 21st, 2005 at 1:52 am

me > pump
Sneaky bastard...
"Knowing is not enough; we must apply. Willing is not enough; we must do." ~ Goethe

Suck.
Benefactor

Postby Suck. » Dec 21st, 2005 at 2:23 am

Below is the explanation I gave in another post. If you've got any questions, fire away and I'll do my best to answer them.

Also, note that it only takes one time playing SF to get the unlocks. If there are any BF2 fans who have no interest in playing SF, but would like the unlocks that EA is money fucking them out of, I may be able to help. I've already hooked up one person, and short of an onslaught of requests, I'm willing to stick it to EA in exchange for your soul.

Suck. wrote:Perhaps I wasn't clear enough in my initial post, so let me try to clarify. The BF2 unlocks work in both BF2 and in SF, while the SF unlocks only work as unlocks in BF2. In SF, they are actually default guns that are specific to different services/factions (i.e. Spetznatz, Navy Seals, etc.), and can be used regardless of whether you've unlocked them or not; however, they can only be used for the team that they're specific to, even if they're unlocked. For instance, the MP7 is the default engineer gun for the SAS (not sure if it's the default for any other teams), and can't be used on teams that it's not the default for.

In order to actually unlock the SF (tier 2) unlocks, you have to first unlock the BF2 (tier 1) unlocks. Thus, you can't unlock the MP7 for BF2 unless you've already wasted an unlock on the MK3A1 (Jackhammer). As I said above, however, you can use the MP7 in SF, but only if it's the default weapon for the faction that you're on. If you have unlocked it, though, you'll by necessity already have unlocked the Jackhammer, which you will be able to use in SF regardless of your team.

Thus, while you're playing SF, there is no direct benefit to unlocking the SF guns. There is, however, a benefit while playing BF2, namely that these guns are unlocked. If you've unlocked these, while playing BF2, you can chose between the default weapon, the BF2 unlock, and the SF unlock. When you click the weapon select button, it will cycle through all three. Suppose you want to use the F2000, the SF assault unlock: You have to click once to switch to the G3, then again to switch to the F2000. Clicking a third time will take you back to the default assault weapon.

-Grant.

CyberPitz
Elite Member

Postby CyberPitz » Dec 21st, 2005 at 4:58 am

I vote neither really...but if anything, I'll say the PKM.

The jackhammer is a piece of shit, the G3 is for a class that blows...and the PKM isn't really that greate, I find the default weapons better. But the PKM works if it's a close quarters map *karakand*

and am I the only oen that is seriously devastating with the dafault support guns? I find those things pretty perfect in ACC..just gotta learn to use them I suppose.

b0ba

Postby b0ba » Dec 21st, 2005 at 10:21 am

where's the "go back to cs:s you sellout" option?

EatMoreLead
Benefactor

Postby EatMoreLead » Dec 21st, 2005 at 1:35 pm

b0ba, get over it, counter-strike is dead
EatMoreLead aka EML

Catalyst22
Elite Member

Postby Catalyst22 » Dec 21st, 2005 at 1:44 pm

BF2 SF is the future. It will continue to grow unless the Black Illuminati oppose it.

http://www.chappelletheory.com/
“When you have the facts on your side, argue the facts. When you have the law on your side, argue the law. When neither is on your side, change the subject and question the motives of the opposition.â€

CyberPitz
Elite Member

Postby CyberPitz » Dec 21st, 2005 at 2:41 pm

I'm on a large SF Strike,...more like a boycott.

I Want Some Taquitos

Postby I Want Some Taquitos » Dec 21st, 2005 at 2:53 pm

b0ba wrote:where's the "go back to cs:s you sellout" option?

Considering I have never played CS:S, I guess I can't really go back to it, can I?

EatMoreLead
Benefactor

Postby EatMoreLead » Dec 21st, 2005 at 4:09 pm

pitz - you are a dork, and just mad because you dont have $30 to get it.
EatMoreLead aka EML

Maverick
Elite Member

Postby Maverick » Dec 21st, 2005 at 7:34 pm

Remember that some of these very people who I will not name...

EML.

...also said lamo games like RTCW and BF1942 would spell the end of CS. And that was like 2 or 3 years ago.

I really doubt there is gonna ever be a game that will unify players like CS did. Main reason is the base of gamers is split amongst way too many platforms now.
"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing..."
-Edmund Burke

rekloose-[PUPPY]
Elite Member

Postby rekloose-[PUPPY] » Dec 21st, 2005 at 10:26 pm

why am i the lone vote for the engineer? that gun rocks. i have like a trillion kills with it.

b0ba

Postby b0ba » Dec 21st, 2005 at 10:35 pm

EatMoreLead wrote:b0ba, get over it, counter-strike is dead

you're dead to me

Suck.
Benefactor

Postby Suck. » Dec 22nd, 2005 at 12:28 am

rekloose-[PUPPY] wrote:why am i the lone vote for the engineer? that gun rocks. i have like a trillion kills with it.

It's a waste of an unlock imo.
  1. The gun empties itself way too fast and takes too long to reload.
  2. The marginal benefit of the MK3A1 over the stock shotguns is much smaller than those of most of the other unlocks versus their stock weapons.
  3. There are four reasons that I go engineer, none of which typically involve close-quarters ground combat.

1. if I'm in a vehicle, namely a tank or apc, that I'd like to hop out and repair periodically
    2. if I'm in a good Blackhawk squad playing "rape everything on the map because we're fucking invincible"
    3. if I need to repair destroyed team assets (artillery, UAV trailer, or satellite trailer)
    4. very rarely, if a situation calls for mines to slow an onslaught of enemy vehicles
    In the second two situations, I usually trade in my engineer kit when I've accomplished my goal in favor of just about anything else, excluding assault. When I am on the ground as an engineer, I usually use my pistol, only changing up to the stock shotguns when I get into a close-quarters area, such as when inside a building or checking around a corner.

I like the stock pump shotties, and the S12k, one of the stock shotties, is already automatic. That said, the MP7, the tier 2 BF2:SF unlock is pretty nice, and requires that the MK3A1 be unlocked first, so if you've already blown an unlock on the tier 1 engineer unlock, it's not a complete loss.

-Grant.

Catalyst22
Elite Member

Postby Catalyst22 » Dec 22nd, 2005 at 1:29 am

rekloose-[PUPPY] wrote:why am i the lone vote for the engineer? that gun rocks. i have like a trillion kills with it.

Wtf? I thought you said your system couldn't play BF2? How many people here are playing this game? Sounds like we got enough to fill a server if we get organized.

Return to “FPS/Action Games”