Where is everyone?

Games such as Quake, CounterStrike, Unreal Tournament, Team Fortress, or any 'first person shooter' can be discussed here.

Moderators: EatMoreLead, Suck., Timmy

Deleted User
*poof*

Where is everyone?

Postby Deleted User » Oct 20th, 2005 at 7:56 pm

So I stopped playing DOD:S for a while and now that I'm back the server always seems to be empty. Did I miss something or did it just lose its 'brand new' appeal?

oh well....

Maybe I'll just have to spend the money on BF2
I've been deleted!!

Suck.
Benefactor

Postby Suck. » Oct 20th, 2005 at 8:15 pm

There actually seems to have been a dip in all of our gaming recently. Our DoD:S server is in the top 150 servers, and it's been slowing down over the past week. Someone suggested that it was due to the lack of newness; people have already played the game, and it's like playing a remastered game such as when console games are released for the next generation system but with improved graphics. It's fun for a while, but it thoroughly engrossed you the first time around, and the effect wears off much faster the second time around.

Also, there have been a ton of games released recently, and people simply don't have enough time to play them all. Recently, it's kinda hit or miss, where sometimes the servers will fill quickly and stay full for a long time and others they'll never even get half way full. Finally, I think that the avid FPS fans may be suffering from overdose, having played the shit out of BF2, then being consumed by DoD:S, then getting hit with BF2 1.03, among other recent releases. People may be taking a break to live and enjoy life.

That said, buy BF2. It kicks ass.

-Grant.

JayPhat
Elite Member

Postby JayPhat » Oct 20th, 2005 at 8:51 pm

No shit, I think I am burtn out. Good thing I went to Coldwater last week. Ig ot back and aside from badly missing my wife, I really badly wanted to play BF2 and CS finally. I had just been getting a so so reaction from them.

b0ba

Postby b0ba » Oct 20th, 2005 at 9:01 pm

did u still get that feeling after i raped u in cs last night?? :D

Catharsys

Postby Catharsys » Oct 20th, 2005 at 11:31 pm

BF2 doesn't workie for me.

But I haven't been playing DOD:S b/c 1. I had (still have to some degree) an eye infection 2. no videocard

I'll start playing again, just wish there were more official maps / good custom maps with an overview.

ender*(gayless)

Postby ender*(gayless) » Oct 20th, 2005 at 11:48 pm

i just don't play it because the server never has anyone in it
ender will save us all

Suck.
Benefactor

Postby Suck. » Oct 21st, 2005 at 12:06 am

Everyone seems to have that mentality, but nobody understands that servers don't just come full. You have to play with just a few people initially, and people will come play. At prime time, you can fill the server in less than two maps. We're having this exact problem with BF2 #1 right now. I know we have a lot of repeat customers and people who pretty much only play there, but many won't log in to play b/c there's not a game going. If everyone would pitch in and help out, both of these servers would be full every evening. It's really just sad that they're not.

-Grant.

ender*(gayless)

Postby ender*(gayless) » Oct 21st, 2005 at 3:46 am

yeah i definatly understand that. i remember once me and mouser played with one other dude for like 30 or 45 minutes...

but i really have no desire to join when i see 0/20

and i see like...20/24 on the cs server

i think the problem will solve itself once a new map comes out
ender will save us all

Deleted User
*poof*

Postby Deleted User » Oct 21st, 2005 at 4:38 am

I've been playing DoD on other servers even when HF has players. Mostly because I never see anyone on that I recognize. And when I join in spite of that, I end up on the team that is getting raped because the MG's camp the first flag out of spawn...
I've been deleted!!

kic ass mi3

Postby kic ass mi3 » Oct 21st, 2005 at 7:31 am

I intend to log into BF2 #1 tonight, even if noone else is there. Been able to keep myself busy by just flying around seeing how long I stay in the air while looking at a map, or switching positions in the helo to fire the gun. Can get pretty boring after a while, but so what. Either a game will start shortly or not.

I will most likely log in around 8:00, then if it just does not start up after a while, will try later. (edit: 8:00 PM Bermuda time, =Atlantic Time (Canada) which is -4 GMT)

FYI: If just Derfel the crazy Canadian is on, you will get a challenge to stay alive; it took 2 on one to kill him last night, and it was good for a laugh.
Barrel rolling under the bridges is fun, when it works. And he has figured out how to use the supply drop as a weapon....lol
"DO or DO NOT; there is no TRY"
*Yoda* Makes things simple!

Teufel

Postby Teufel » Oct 21st, 2005 at 8:19 am

i havent played even a full map of cs:s since i moved. =[

I've played bf2 a handful of times. But game time overall has drastically been reduced since the move. All game time i get now latelyis going into FEAR, and i only get to put in 30-60 minutes max into that a day.

I get packet loss in cs;s, and if i am getting it in bf2 i cant tell. Bf2 plays normal to me, cept for the occasional connection issue when my isp just flat out drops me.
-----------------------------------
The things you own.
End up owning you.

Suck.
Benefactor

Postby Suck. » Oct 21st, 2005 at 9:21 am

I've made the appeal before, but I'll make it again. If anyone can sit idle in the HF BF2 #1 during the day, it'd be a big help. It's great once a game gets underway, but we've been struggling with getting the necessary 10 players to get a game started for the past week or so. I idle in there pretty much all day every day, and while I know that's not nearly as good as actively playing the whole time, I just don't have the time, at least during the hours that the server needs to get going.

Idling and adding a head is much better than nothing though, and if we could get even just four or five players to idle in it starting either in the morning or early afternoon, the server would be doing great. Right now, I'm usually the only one in the server until around 5:00 PM. Ideally, I'd like to see it up by 2:00 or 3:00 PM CST, but the latest it's ever successful in getting filled up and running is about 8:00 PM. After 9:00 PM, it's a lost cause.

One idea would be to try to get everyone to join around the same time. Currently, we have people rotating in and out, but it seems that just as another couple regulars trickle in, one or two of the players already in the game leave. Really, I don't know the solution, because as my fellow Kansan expressed, it seems like there just aren't as many people gaming recently.

For both HF BF2 #1 and HF DoD:S though, the longer they sit idle, the harder it's going to be to get them going. Both were running strong, but then a couple of down days seem to have really stalled them out and killed their momentum. Does anyone have any ideas for jumpstarting them? For BF2 #1, I think we've got our work pretty much cut out for us at the moment, but I'm at a loss for what to do to help out HF DoD:S. The only idea I've currently got is to put the one or two most popular custom maps up on the server. I'm planning on checking them out today to see what I think.

-Grant.

Mouser
Elite Member

Postby Mouser » Oct 21st, 2005 at 9:25 am

Well, there's the possibility of custom maps for DoD:S. With only 4 stock maps out, I'm pretty sure alot of pople just got burned out.

Suck.
Benefactor

Postby Suck. » Oct 21st, 2005 at 9:32 am

Suck. wrote:The only idea I've currently got is to put the one or two most popular custom maps up on the server. I'm planning on checking them out today to see what I think.

Any other ideas? :roll:

-Grant.

pyrox420
Elite Member

Postby pyrox420 » Oct 21st, 2005 at 9:47 am

I like the idea of everyone trying to get it going at the same time.

Personally i'm at work all day and can VNC to my idle pc and log into BF2 whenever. The problem is if i idle for more than 45 minutes i get disconnected. So if we can pick a time and get 5-6 regs to log in at once i think we'll be golden!

The problem is... if we get 5-6 regs to join and there all idling... no one will want to stay and play to get that extra 4...

We could try it? I say 2-3 CT is a good window. The east coast is getting home from work/school so there will be ample players available. Thoughts?
"You know what the chain of command is? It's the chain I go get and beat you with until you understand who's in ruttin' command here". - Jayne

kic ass mi3

Postby kic ass mi3 » Oct 21st, 2005 at 12:20 pm

Sounds like a plan, which is better than none. I will logg in around 5:00 PM (-4 GMT) which should match the 2 or 3:00 CT.
"DO or DO NOT; there is no TRY"

*Yoda* Makes things simple!

pyrox420
Elite Member

Postby pyrox420 » Oct 21st, 2005 at 12:31 pm

OK.... we'll set a time. 3pm CDT today.

4pm on the east coast. (EDT)
2PM in the mountains. (MDT)
1PM on the west coast. (PDT)

I'll make an announcement in another post to get more visibility.
"You know what the chain of command is? It's the chain I go get and beat you with until you understand who's in ruttin' command here". - Jayne

JayPhat
Elite Member

Postby JayPhat » Oct 21st, 2005 at 12:33 pm

None of those times work for me. I have to do laundry tonight so I can go to Van Wert, OH to help with set-up. Maybe I can squeeze some time in before I pack my computer up.

Suck.
Benefactor

Postby Suck. » Oct 21st, 2005 at 12:44 pm

If you're busy, you don't have to be playing to make a difference. Just sitting in the server is a huge help!

-Grant.

Deleted User
*poof*

Postby Deleted User » Oct 21st, 2005 at 1:53 pm

For DOD:S, new maps would help....

also,

Anywhere really cheap I could get BF2?....I guess I'm too busy/lazy to go look myself right now.
I've been deleted!!

Suck.
Benefactor

Postby Suck. » Oct 21st, 2005 at 2:09 pm

Ronish wrote:Remember, wealth is not determined by money, good looks, or love in life....it is determined by the number of dead hookers in one's closet. As such, I am rich.
-Random Quote-

:lol: :lol: :lol: Good shit man.

So are you a KU student?

-Grant.

sohpriest

Postby sohpriest » Oct 22nd, 2005 at 9:22 am

I'm willing to do whatever I can for the DOD:s server. Just say the word. Xray And I can get on in the evenings (central time) if we know what time. I'm like everybody else. I go there and see no one on and just go watch TV. Tell me what you need I'm at your service.
"I am Jack's smirking revenge."

Catharsys

Postby Catharsys » Oct 22nd, 2005 at 2:18 pm

I would sit in the dod server but i just get kicked for going afk x_X

Suck.
Benefactor

Postby Suck. » Oct 22nd, 2005 at 9:30 pm

I wrote an anti-idle script specifically for this purpose that will allow you to idle anywhere from half an hour to an hour before the game somehow figures out that you're not actually there (even though the script is still running). Unfortunately, on my computer, DoD:S likes to randomly crash when minimized, and doesn't let me know that it crashed, so I'm usually unable to idle for more than 10 minutes at a time.

If you're interested in helping to populate the DoD:S server by idling, PM me on the forums, and I'll send it to you. For anyone who's considering exploiting it to go AFK on the CS:S server for example, don't bother. Once it's started, you can't stop it or interrupt it (run any other commands), so you have to kill Source with Task Manager then restart it and join again if it's still running and you want to play.

-Grant.

Phoenix
Elite Member

Postby Phoenix » Oct 23rd, 2005 at 12:26 pm

I would help you idle to fill up BF2 servers but the most recent release has driven me away from the game. When it was hard to get up a level and unlock a new weapon there was somthing to look forward to and people who had a high rank were rare. Now that everyone has like every gun unlocked and they are all high ranks its not fun anymore.
Former HF clan member, server admin, all around troll

"You don't do things right once-in-a-while. You do them right all the time."- Vince Lombardi

Return to “FPS/Action Games”