Quake 4

Games such as Quake, CounterStrike, Unreal Tournament, Team Fortress, or any 'first person shooter' can be discussed here.

Moderators: EatMoreLead, Suck., Timmy

User avatar
Keyser Soze
The Devil
Posts: 1403
Joined: Jan 9th, 2005 at 12:37 am

Quake 4

Postby Keyser Soze » Oct 18th, 2005 at 9:58 am

IT'S OUT!

But according to IGN (Which is the only review out as of this post), it's a huge let down. Not really what people expected. Anyone who has the game can let me in on how it is?
Image
I'm not a complete idiot, some parts are missing.

User avatar
b0ba
Senior Member
Posts: 363
Joined: Sep 15th, 2002 at 10:17 am

Postby b0ba » Oct 18th, 2005 at 10:40 am

i was really let down by quake3...i just dont know how much better quake4 can be. maybe if they have a ctf mod like quake2 it will be worth playing

User avatar
Keyser Soze
The Devil
Posts: 1403
Joined: Jan 9th, 2005 at 12:37 am

Postby Keyser Soze » Oct 18th, 2005 at 10:52 am

I loved Quake 1,2 and 3 (3 the most). I would dry hump the box. I just want to know if this game lives up to the expectations and is it as fun as Quake 3 was?
Image

I'm not a complete idiot, some parts are missing.

User avatar
Nad
Moderator
Posts: 2481
Joined: Sep 15th, 2002 at 8:15 am

Postby Nad » Oct 18th, 2005 at 11:02 am

If you liked quake 3 as much as you say you do, then im sure Q4 will be tons of box humping fun.
Hardfought Forum/Game Server Admin and all around board troll
Image

User avatar
Keyser Soze
The Devil
Posts: 1403
Joined: Jan 9th, 2005 at 12:37 am

Postby Keyser Soze » Oct 18th, 2005 at 11:28 am

/me runs out to the store.
Image

I'm not a complete idiot, some parts are missing.

User avatar
Oreo
l33t scr1pt0r
Posts: 1191
Joined: Jan 1st, 2005 at 3:49 pm

Postby Oreo » Oct 18th, 2005 at 12:13 pm

Review: sp is like doom 3, mp is like quake 3. there's your review.

User avatar
Keyser Soze
The Devil
Posts: 1403
Joined: Jan 9th, 2005 at 12:37 am

Postby Keyser Soze » Oct 18th, 2005 at 12:15 pm

Quake 3 is fucking awesome!
Image

I'm not a complete idiot, some parts are missing.

User avatar
DoCFuRy[12PC]
Elite Member
Posts: 1021
Joined: Nov 11th, 2004 at 1:04 am

Postby DoCFuRy[12PC] » Oct 18th, 2005 at 1:41 pm

I just read the review at IGN which gave it an 8.2. Everything I have read is that it is a q3 with new graphics set in a q2 story line. Personally I dont play the single player version of any of the quakes so I didnt care. Quake was and will always be about teh awesome multiplayer aspect. They screwed the pooch if they took it to a single player aspect. Essentially this is like css. Its the exact same as 1.6 with some fancier graphics and whatnot. I have seen people dropping off css much faster than teh original, just because of that point, it is NOT original. My guess is Q4 will be fun for a while but get very old soon after.

User avatar
Keyser Soze
The Devil
Posts: 1403
Joined: Jan 9th, 2005 at 12:37 am

Postby Keyser Soze » Oct 18th, 2005 at 2:21 pm

DoCFuRy[12PC] wrote:I just read the review at IGN which gave it an 8.2. Everything I have read is that it is a q3 with new graphics set in a q2 story line. Personally I dont play the single player version of any of the quakes so I didnt care. Quake was and will always be about teh awesome multiplayer aspect. They screwed the pooch if they took it to a single player aspect. Essentially this is like css. Its the exact same as 1.6 with some fancier graphics and whatnot. I have seen people dropping off css much faster than teh original, just because of that point, it is NOT original. My guess is Q4 will be fun for a while but get very old soon after.


Why fix something if it ain't broke? The reason Quake 4 is going to be so big is because Quake 1, 2 and 3 were and people are expecting the same fun. Which it will be. All I want to know is now, will Hardfought have a Quake 4 server?
Image

I'm not a complete idiot, some parts are missing.

User avatar
CyberPitz
Elite Member
Posts: 1538
Joined: Oct 11th, 2004 at 2:53 pm

Postby CyberPitz » Oct 18th, 2005 at 2:41 pm

GOod thing I didn't buy Quake 4. Bittorrent here I come.

User avatar
DoCFuRy[12PC]
Elite Member
Posts: 1021
Joined: Nov 11th, 2004 at 1:04 am

Postby DoCFuRy[12PC] » Oct 18th, 2005 at 3:29 pm

I went and bought it (well they hadnt gotten the copy yet) so I just pre-ordered it. She thought it was coming on their afternoon truck so I could run by and pick it up tonight. I am going to call around and see who has it. I got some stupid tshirt for pre-ordering it.

User avatar
Keyser Soze
The Devil
Posts: 1403
Joined: Jan 9th, 2005 at 12:37 am

Postby Keyser Soze » Oct 18th, 2005 at 3:32 pm

DocFury, CS:S is still one of the top online gaming games. It didn't just get old and pass over. A lot of people moved on to Source and are still loving it because it took a game that was already awesome and added more to it (graphics, physics, etc.). There's nothing wrong with that and it worked. Same thing with Quake 4.

Now I'm getting really pissed off now, the guy at EB told me "any minute" and it's been 4 hours!
Image

I'm not a complete idiot, some parts are missing.

User avatar
Shade
Elite Member
Posts: 1342
Joined: Dec 1st, 2004 at 12:03 pm

Postby Shade » Oct 18th, 2005 at 3:32 pm

Does it say "your with stupid " and have an arrow pointing up ?
ClanKiller | Shade

User avatar
DoCFuRy[12PC]
Elite Member
Posts: 1021
Joined: Nov 11th, 2004 at 1:04 am

Postby DoCFuRy[12PC] » Oct 18th, 2005 at 4:29 pm

Shade wrote:Does it say "your with stupid " and have an arrow pointing up ?


Actually, it says HUGE DICK with an arrow point down. How Prophetic! Anyway, I just called Gamestop and they have them IN STOCK. So I will be making a trip back to Eb games to unload the Dumb Q1 T-Shirt. (Thats what the picture was of I believe) and returning to Gamestop where they actually HAVE copies.

User avatar
carnage
Member
Posts: 134
Joined: Jun 18th, 2005 at 1:35 am

Postby carnage » Oct 18th, 2005 at 5:45 pm

Some notes on Q4...

Q4 was originally multiplayer only. They added the single player at the request of the fan base. It would have been out long ago had they not added single player. What that means is it should be way better multiplayer than the Doom series which really wasnt meant for multiplayer. I think I read the story for Q4 is either a redux of Q2 or a continuation or it is what they wanted to do with the story of Q2 but couldnt. I have it and installed it, but Im currently at work and will not be able to play until I get home in about 90 minutes.

Carn

User avatar
Maverick
Elite Member
Posts: 1944
Joined: Sep 14th, 2002 at 1:33 pm

Postby Maverick » Oct 18th, 2005 at 6:04 pm

Age of Empires III > Q4.
"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing..."
-Edmund Burke


Image

User avatar
Nad
Moderator
Posts: 2481
Joined: Sep 15th, 2002 at 8:15 am

Postby Nad » Oct 18th, 2005 at 6:11 pm

Mav,come back to fps man, it is calling.
Hardfought Forum/Game Server Admin and all around board troll
Image

User avatar
JayPhat
Elite Member
Posts: 2701
Joined: Feb 24th, 2005 at 7:35 pm

Postby JayPhat » Oct 18th, 2005 at 6:28 pm

Keyser Soze wrote:DocFury, CS:S is still one of the top online gaming games. It didn't just get old and pass over.


Says the man who bitched amd moaned because we refused to start a 1.6 squad.
Image

User avatar
Maverick
Elite Member
Posts: 1944
Joined: Sep 14th, 2002 at 1:33 pm

Postby Maverick » Oct 18th, 2005 at 7:40 pm

Nad wrote:Mav,come back to fps man, it is calling.


I do play once in a while, time permitting.

Been playing DOD:S and BF2 , and some CS:S. When I get the chance.

Can't forget my roots.
"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing..."
-Edmund Burke


Image

User avatar
Keyser Soze
The Devil
Posts: 1403
Joined: Jan 9th, 2005 at 12:37 am

Postby Keyser Soze » Oct 18th, 2005 at 8:17 pm

JayPhat wrote:
Keyser Soze wrote:DocFury, CS:S is still one of the top online gaming games. It didn't just get old and pass over.


Says the man who bitched amd moaned because we refused to start a 1.6 squad.


Bitched and moaned? I asked once if you guys were, didn't bitch and moan, please show me a post where I did on that subject.

Anyway, just drove 60 miles around the whole fucking city and I finally got Q4, installing now. Fuck you EB Games.
Image

I'm not a complete idiot, some parts are missing.

User avatar
Phoenix
Elite Member
Posts: 1980
Joined: Nov 24th, 2004 at 3:13 pm

Postby Phoenix » Oct 18th, 2005 at 8:46 pm

BF2 > all
nuff said
Former HF clan member, server admin, all around troll

"You don't do things right once-in-a-while. You do them right all the time."- Vince Lombardi

User avatar
JayPhat
Elite Member
Posts: 2701
Joined: Feb 24th, 2005 at 7:35 pm

Postby JayPhat » Oct 18th, 2005 at 9:09 pm

Phoenix wrote:BF2 > all
nuff said


PLEASE! Celebrity Boxing using Flash 3.0 back in 1999 > all. It was great to beat the shit out of celebrities. I miss that game.
Image

User avatar
Catalyst22
Elite Member
Posts: 3606
Joined: Sep 30th, 2004 at 8:21 pm

Postby Catalyst22 » Oct 18th, 2005 at 9:45 pm

Actually, it says HUGE DICK with an arrow point down.


You had the shirt on upside down. Thats why you could read the lettering while wearing it :)
“When you have the facts on your side, argue the facts. When you have the law on your side, argue the law. When neither is on your side, change the subject and question the motives of the opposition.â€

User avatar
DoCFuRy[12PC]
Elite Member
Posts: 1021
Joined: Nov 11th, 2004 at 1:04 am

Postby DoCFuRy[12PC] » Oct 18th, 2005 at 10:28 pm

Ok, I got it installed and played a bit of it. It seems to run fairly good in single player but not in multiplayer. Its actually not a bad feel to it if there is no lag or if the fps stays up.

I ran fraps in teh background and my fps dropped to 12-15 in firefights. I am running an x850xt on an amd 64 3800 with a gig of ram with settings of 1024x768. I am sure that it will require some tweaking, quake always has....but overall not too shabby.....So Far!

User avatar
Suck.
Benefactor
Posts: 3146
Joined: Nov 13th, 2004 at 8:36 pm

Postby Suck. » Oct 18th, 2005 at 10:49 pm

Meanwhile... BF2 #1 & DoD:S have sat completely empty for two days... :(


-Grant.


Return to “FPS/Action Games”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests