[BLOG]: Hello from Iraq

Discuss subjects regarding Hardfought news here.

Moderator: News posters

K2
Administrator

[BLOG]: Hello from Iraq

Postby K2 » Jul 23rd, 2008 at 7:20 pm

This is a blog post. To read the original post, please click here »

Hi gang. Long time no post, yeah? Figured I'd chime in and let everyone know how I was doin', and what's been going on here.

My unit (1-14th) is setup outside of Camp Taji, which is just a few miles north of Baghdad. The first few months were kinda crazy - mission after mission after mission, without any kind of battle rhythm; no one knew when our next refit or maintenence day would be, or even what the next mission would be more than a couple days out. It was common to go for weeks straight without any kind of day off or time to service the Strykers. Then in April, all of the Battalions pushed out their company-level assets off-base to set up smaller patrol bases in our area of operation, usually co-existing with a platoon or company-sized element of Iraqi Army. Still maintained a hectic schedule - never really knew how long we'd stay out in the sticks, or when or what kind of supplies would come in, if any, etc. Then finally, about a month ago, the patrol base my company has been occupying finally started to get built up into a decent base in its own right. it's still a work in progress as of this post, but we now have electricity, internet/phones, a movie room, a small gym, a cook with a small dining area, porta-shitters (we were burning our own shit for a long while), AC, and here soon some actual showers. Power doesnt stay on 24/7, but a group of engineers are out here now fixing all that. Not too bad now... actaully don't mind staying out here anymore :-P Good thing though, is that my company's AO is relatively calm - we've only had two IED's go off on us, and zero ambushes/small arms fire. The younger first-time-to-deploy Soldiers wish things were more 'exciting' around here, but I tell 'em they wont be thinking that if things ever did heat up. Typical - I felt the same way my first deployment, and then after being shelled/blown up/ambushed X number of times, I was ready to give it a rest. Hopefully they never get a chance to learn that the hard way.

Anyways... yeah. Things are 'good' here I suppose. Boring, but I'll take boring over the alternative. Some of our sister companies have seen a lil more action/IED's, as have certain other elements within our Brigade, but overall the violence is low compared to my last time here.

I'm slotted to come back to the states for R&R around the end of August. Gonna be in Vermont the entire time... gonna meet my wife Jenn up there with her family. Her sister is getting married August 30th, and we're also going to spend a lil time looking for lots of land to build our 'dream' house near Burlington. I'm also gonna spend a half-day talking to admissions at UVM - with the newly revised GI Bill in place, I'm going to go back to school full-time after I redeploy (my Army career ends June 2009), wrap up a degree (finally), and let Uncle Sam not only pay for it all, but pay ME to get a degree at the same time. Too good an offer to pass up.

So yeah, that's about it. I got a few pics here and there, but haven't posted anything yet, as I havent really taken any pics of anything exciting. And I don't see the remainder of the deployment being any different from how it is now. I'm doing fine... just miss my wife, and I'm ready to come home.

Hope the rest of ya are doing well, and are enjoying your summer. Take it easy, and I'll see ya around maybe ;-)

Tags: Iraq
Posted under: Miscellaneous

K2
Administrator

Hello from Iraq

Postby K2 » Jul 23rd, 2008 at 7:22 pm

Hi.

sX
Elite Member

Postby sX » Jul 23rd, 2008 at 8:19 pm

What's up niggie cheese-mo?!?!?!?

How've you been? EHHH?

How's the weather?

Texas is pretty shitty, thanks for asking.

Love ya!

Werd.

~sX
(o )^( o) Tetas.

Timmy

Postby Timmy » Jul 23rd, 2008 at 9:28 pm

Nice to hear yer in Strykers, thats like trading in a yugo for a lambourghini compared to the shitpile that is the military Hummer. Send us some crazy pics, whatever ya won't get in trouble for sending that is.

Tim~

Best_predator
Banished to Siberia

Postby Best_predator » Jul 23rd, 2008 at 10:12 pm

Glad to hear everything is goin good for you.
Sneaky bastard...
"Knowing is not enough; we must apply. Willing is not enough; we must do." ~ Goethe

Maverick
Elite Member

Postby Maverick » Jul 24th, 2008 at 11:01 pm

Sup K2, good to hear from ya.
"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing..."
-Edmund Burke

Miracl3

Postby Miracl3 » Jul 25th, 2008 at 6:01 am

man i can only imagine how much you miss ya wife. I'd be fucking goin crazy without mine. But im still being breast-fed so whadya expect lol

Phoenix
Elite Member

Postby Phoenix » Jul 25th, 2008 at 7:47 am

Good to hear you are doing OK man. Hope things stay that way.
Former HF clan member, server admin, all around troll

"You don't do things right once-in-a-while. You do them right all the time."- Vince Lombardi

sX
Elite Member

Postby sX » Jul 27th, 2008 at 9:50 pm

I smell HF LAN part of 3 :D

EML + sX + K2 .. coming up :D
(o )^( o) Tetas.

K2
Administrator

Postby K2 » Jul 28th, 2008 at 2:45 pm

Thanks guys.

HF LAN part of 3? What? lol

I'll do HF LAN #8, but you guys are gonna have to come to me this time. Hope ya like Vermont :D

Nad

Postby Nad » Jul 28th, 2008 at 5:31 pm

I'm down for Vt. I think we should do it outside, in January :D
Hardfought Forum/Game Server Admin and all around board troll

Miracl3

Postby Miracl3 » Jul 28th, 2008 at 7:52 pm

Nad wrote:I'm down for Vt. I think we should do it outside, in January :D

I ROFL'ed seriously. Maybe outside April lol.

EatMoreLead
Benefactor

Postby EatMoreLead » Jul 29th, 2008 at 5:58 pm

good to hear from you - was long time since you checked in baby.

HF LANS should always be in TX, that is rule #1.
EatMoreLead aka EML

K2
Administrator

Postby K2 » Jul 30th, 2008 at 7:12 am

Rule #1 is that I'm not shelling out $1000+ of my own money anymore for airfare and other assorted fees involved when I hold the HF LAN parties.

My house or bust is now Rule #1 :D

Nad

Postby Nad » Jul 31st, 2008 at 11:55 pm

Bah, with the lack of turnout resulting from doing it in Vermont, we could include your airfare in the registration fee split up over the majority, wouldn't cost you a dime :D
Hardfought Forum/Game Server Admin and all around board troll

Mouser
Elite Member

Postby Mouser » Aug 1st, 2008 at 1:41 am

Good to hear you're doing well. A quiet tour is a good tour. Just sit back and wait to get your little slice of heaven in Vermont. It's so nice up there..as long as you can deal with the winters. But at least there's lots of slopes in the area to have fun with.

I'm still bummed I missed the big LAN. I was set to go and backed out at the end :( Maybe someday. You guys should have it out here in Cali....it's like a LAN AND a vacation. Lots to do and see. Think about it =P

G$
Benefactor

Postby G$ » Aug 18th, 2008 at 3:50 pm

Glad to hear you are well. Stay frosty and git back here quick.

Greg

K2
Administrator

Postby K2 » Aug 18th, 2008 at 6:50 pm

Thx. I'm stuck in Baghdad right now, trying to get a flight out back to the states for R&R. Gonna meet up with Jenn in Vermont here in a couple days. We get 18 days leave now, instead of 15 like last time.

sX
Elite Member

Postby sX » Sep 3rd, 2008 at 1:21 pm

Where you at now you old dog, K2?

Hey, is it safe to send mens magazines down there? IE Maxim, Stuff, blender, etc..
(o )^( o) Tetas.

K2
Administrator

Postby K2 » Sep 5th, 2008 at 10:28 pm

Magazines are fine sX.

I'm still in Vermont, right now hanging out with Jenn at her sisters house. We're going canoeing with her sister and her sisters new husband tomorrow. I have to start heading back to Iraq the morning of the 10th :/ Good news though is that I'll only have about 5 months left and then I'm back for good.

JayPhat
Elite Member

Postby JayPhat » Sep 5th, 2008 at 11:20 pm

K2 wrote:Magazines are fine sX.

I'm still in Vermont, right now hanging out with Jenn at her sisters house. We're going canoeing with her sister and her sisters new husband tomorrow. I have to start heading back to Iraq the morning of the 10th :/ Good news though is that I'll only have about 5 months left and then I'm back for good.

Sweetness. That puts you back in Feb, right? Thats a hell of a Valentines Day present if you ask me. You're gonna be in deep shit trying to top that one the year after.

sX
Elite Member

Postby sX » Sep 6th, 2008 at 3:33 pm

I'll get my valentines suit ready - JUST for you, K2.

*smooches*

~sX
(o )^( o) Tetas.

Return to “News Postings”