New generation tablet running Windows 8

Need some advice on what video card to buy? Wanna buy/sell/trade some equipment? This is the place to ask.

Moderators: EatMoreLead, Suck., DocNsane

K2
Administrator

New generation tablet running Windows 8

Postby K2 » Jun 10th, 2012 at 10:11 am

Check this out - http://www.anandtech.com/show/5968/acer ... -windows-8

In a nutshell - a tablet that is powerful enough to run apps just like a desktop system with an OS that allows you that versatility, and you can connect other devices to it. Been waiting for this to happen for some time now. Apple makes a great product; I have an iPhone 4S and I've used the iPad 2 and they are neat. But I really think Apple set themselves back by not allowing any type of hardware ports whatsoever other than their own proprietary connection, and also not allowing flash, or allowing an MS Office app to be run on them. The device featured in the above article can function as a tablet, or a notebook, or can be docked and act as a fully fledged desktop machine. I don't know what the GPU specs are on it, but since it's Intel's third gen Ivy Bridge CPU under the hood, it's probably using Intel's 3/4000 series integrated HD video chip, and that means most current and any older games would run on it.

I don't game anymore - it's been going on 2 years now since I've played anything other than Nethack or the occasional game of chess. But I've been wanting to build a new desktop system or get a better notebook and get away from the little netbook I use now. After seeing this though, I think I'd rather go with this instead.

Thoughts?

K2
Administrator

Re: New generation tablet running Windows 8

Postby K2 » Jun 10th, 2012 at 10:43 am

This looks pretty good too, and you can get it right now - http://eee.asus.com/en/eeepad/transform ... ification/

Pluses - it's ASUS, it's a lot smaller, the GPU is nvidia, it's quad-core.

Minuses - it's Android OS, limited applications

If ASUS made a newer version of this that ran Windows 8, I'd be sold.

sX
Elite Member

Postby sX » Jun 13th, 2012 at 1:43 am

I recently saw Win 8 over at the Microsoft store in the Houston Galleria. The tablet was a Core i5 and was extremely speedy. I was extremely impressed. Can't wait til the Win 8 interface starts coming about.
(o )^( o) Tetas.

KillerClown

Postby KillerClown » Jun 15th, 2012 at 12:57 pm

Screw the Win8 interface, trying to force people to go touchscreen is ridiculous, and yeah, that is basically what Win8 does. Win8 is an OS for portable devices, not computers. And shit, before you even get there, why don't they work more on Win7, not like it's perfect. Why not just make an optional touchscreen interface for Win7 and push it in as a service pack? I'll tell you why, greed, they want more $ more $ more $. The same exact reason they released Vista when they did, when it was literally a beta test for Win7.
"Truth is treason in the empire of lies." - Ron Paul

K2
Administrator

Postby K2 » Jun 15th, 2012 at 2:33 pm

KC do your research before you post. Windows 8 'Metro' UI is the interface for touchscreen type devices. Then there's the regular UI for laptop/desktop systems.

KillerClown

Postby KillerClown » Jun 16th, 2012 at 11:44 pm

K2 wrote:KC do your research before you post. Windows 8 'Metro' UI is the interface for touchscreen type devices. Then there's the regular UI for laptop/desktop systems.

lol I don't think my research is what is lacking here, I've played with all of the previews (running the release preview right now in vmware workstation) and have yet seen a way to restore the start menu....outside of third-party apps.

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/wind ... 03400fdf95

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/For ... ba4ac9d70b

Where are your sources to support my 'lack of research'? :P

IIRC I was going to make a post about that way back when I ran the developer preview, but I got sidetracked trying to make some videos.

K2
Administrator

Postby K2 » Jun 17th, 2012 at 2:00 pm

My sources are your past OS posts ;)

KillerClown

Postby KillerClown » Jun 18th, 2012 at 2:19 am

K2 wrote:My sources are your past OS posts ;)

lol? Where are those?
I looked through my posts, don't see any where I provided incorrect information at all, in the few posts that had anything to do with OS's.

Don't know why you would try to "call me out" as if I didn't know what I was talking about, or as if I never researched anything I ever talked about, even though I've almost always included links to sources for the things I say, kinda like I did here with 2 Microsoft links. :?

All I did was say screw the Windows 8 phone-style interface. And screw Microsoft for being greedy. Hell, I wasn't even one of those people who complained about the slight reorganization of the menus from XP to Vista (as many people did (not specifically here)), I actually said I liked Vista (actual words were "I absolutely love Vista"), but I have always said it was a paid beta. But this phone-style interface is horrid on a "normal" desktop PC.

cnp.png
cnp.png (50.18 KiB) Viewed 4864 times

I found 1 site that said something to the extent of 'Microsoft said they would put in a way to disable the Metro UI or to set the desktop view as the default for corporate users', but nothing else that supports that or anything that supports being able to disable Metro UI without a third-party application.

K2
Administrator

Postby K2 » Jun 18th, 2012 at 7:15 am

KC. I just like messing with you :) I just happened to beat sX to the punch. Anyways, just wait and see there will be a non-metro UI for windows 8.

Maverick
Elite Member

Postby Maverick » Jun 25th, 2012 at 12:05 am

Well K2, obviously you got your wish with the Microsoft Surface Pro.

Let's see if MS doesn't shit themselves, like they did with the Zune.
"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing..."
-Edmund Burke

K2
Administrator

Postby K2 » Nov 16th, 2012 at 2:13 pm

One of the NCO's I work with has had the opportunity to play with the MS Surface running Windows 8 RT for quite awhile. He's also been running Windows 8 Pro on one of his desktop machines for several months. Says the tablet actually performs better than what he was expecting. The Metro UI is a bit of a learning curve, but then so was going from win98 to XP and then to vista/7. And it's *easy* to go back to a classic UI if that's what you prefer. The only downside was the starting price, was pretty steep at $499 (32GB) and $699 (64 GB). What offsets it though is that it's bundled with MS Office which by itself is worth a couple hundred bucks.

And the way this thing is, it's not really in competition with the iPad so much as it is against netbooks/ultrabooks. The iPad is so limited in what it can do, it's kinda safe in it's own little niche.

Another thing to be aware of - an install of Windows 8 consumes about 15-16 GB of hard drive space, so getting the base 32 GB model doesn't make a whole lot of sense, as you'd only have 16 GB of free space for other things. There is USB and microSD capability for external storage options, but still...

Myself, I'm taking a hard look at the Surface Pro that will debut in January 2013. Comes in a 128 GB flavor, will be running Windows 8 Pro on a dual core third generation (Ivy Bridge) Intel core i5 platform - x86 architecture. This means you can run everything on it that you currently use on your laptop/desktop system. That capability plus MS Office bundled, plus USB 3.0 plus microSD plus a stylus pen, etc etc. Yeah. Tablets are finally starting to get to where they need to be.

sX
Elite Member

Postby sX » Nov 17th, 2012 at 8:09 pm

I love men. <3
(o )^( o) Tetas.

Return to “All Things Hardware”