Tablet PC's

Need some advice on what video card to buy? Wanna buy/sell/trade some equipment? This is the place to ask.

Moderators: EatMoreLead, Suck., DocNsane

K2
Administrator

Tablet PC's

Postby K2 » Jan 9th, 2010 at 10:18 pm

I've been following this for a lil while now - the development of tablet (or slate) PC's. Seems the definition of what they are and what they are meant to do differs depending on who you ask. Personally, I see a tablet PC as a device about the side of a pad of paper (8.5 by 11 inches or so), thin, with a multi-touch screen. Wireless capability, full-sized virtual keyboard, and able to use a stylus pen as well so you can just write on it like ya would an actual piece of paper. Basically, an iPhone/iTouch but larger w/ the stylus pen thing.

If I were to ever start my own business, I'd use a device like that and go completely paperless.

So what's your take on it? HP sorta featured one at the CES recently. Rumor has it that Apple is going to announce a tablet later this year.

Further (recent) reading - http://www.cnn.com/2010/TECH/01/09/ces. ... index.html

Thoughts?

JayPhat
Elite Member

Re: Tablet PC's

Postby JayPhat » Jan 10th, 2010 at 12:46 am

I saw a clip from attack of the show @ CES where the guy was screwing around with what looked like a regular laptop, till he pulled the tablet right off it. looked just like you described: a large iPod touch. The thing was a beast too. Had 4 gigs of ram and a 250 G SSD. No price yet though, the guy was taking a wild stab in the dark and guessing between 4-5K.

I read a list of things going by the wayside in 2010. One was magazines/newspapers because "with the internet, we don't need to wait for print to come out. It's happening in realtime." Well, I'm not lugging a laptop over to the toilet. A tablet would certainly fix that problem but I would start to worry about germs after a while. Although I never seem to about magazines. Odd.

Nad

Postby Nad » Jan 10th, 2010 at 2:09 pm

Hardfought Forum/Game Server Admin and all around board troll

JayPhat
Elite Member

Postby JayPhat » Jan 12th, 2010 at 8:37 pm

This is what I was talking about.
http://www.siliconrepublic.com/news/art ... ook-debuts

Pretty neat idea if you ask me.

Return to “All Things Hardware”