Laptop vid card

Need some advice on what video card to buy? Wanna buy/sell/trade some equipment? This is the place to ask.

Moderators: EatMoreLead, Suck., DocNsane

Timmy

Laptop vid card

Postby Timmy » Feb 1st, 2009 at 2:03 pm

My overpriced laptop has been a problem pretty much since I got it, updating drivers is always a pain, and it overheated all the time. I've recently gotten a laptop cooling pad that for the CPU has worked wonders, it rarely gets near 70 degrees where before it'd hit 80 and crash even before the vid card.

The last is my current problem, the vid card doesn't seem to be benefitting from the cooler near as much and still overheats. I get a lovely black screen in the middle of a game, followed shortly by an annoying repeating beep that can only be resolved with a reboot. Asking around and reading forums I've found that this is the typical happening of a vid card overheating and shutting itself off.

I currently have an NVIDIA geforce go 7950 GTX in the laptop, my question is, would upgrading this solve my problems? And as a secondary question, is this something I'd be able to do myself? I've put together desktops before but I've never done any tinkering with a laptop other than cleaning the fans.

Tim~

JayPhat
Elite Member

Postby JayPhat » Feb 1st, 2009 at 6:08 pm

To answer your question: no and no. Another vid card is just going to draw as much power as it is heat. And vid cards for laptops are usually attached to the MOBO, meaning the manufacturer has to change them out.

K2
Administrator

Postby K2 » Feb 2nd, 2009 at 5:19 am

You cant upgrade a 7xxx series to the 8xxx series or highr card anyways in a laptop - the connectors are different. I have a 7950GTX go in my laptop, and it got so hot so often that I now have a permanent green and violet bar from top to bottom on the left side of my screen. I have a replacement vid card for it that I found on ebay, but I wont be able to install it until I make it back home.

Return to “All Things Hardware”