XBOX 360 as a Media Center

Need some advice on what video card to buy? Wanna buy/sell/trade some equipment? This is the place to ask.

Moderators: EatMoreLead, Suck., DocNsane

Burzum
Benefactor

XBOX 360 as a Media Center

Postby Burzum » Dec 19th, 2008 at 10:55 am

I can't leave well enough alone. I love to tinker. The media center that xbox 360 comes with is pretty good Windows Media Center extender but I wanted a way to play hi-def movies.

I don't really feel like writing a technical manual or anything so here are the basic steps to playing a Hi-Def movie on your 360.

1. [s]Download[/s] Purchase the movie.
Most of the movies I wanted in HD are in MKV format. I think it's somewhat of a standard.

2. Use Encode360 to convert the MKV file
If you're computer is REALLY beefy you can skip this step and let TVersity re-encode on the fly. I don't have the power for that so I convert ahead of time. I converted to 720p (1280x720) with the following settings:
Codec: WMV9
Mode: Quality Based VBR (1-Pass)
Video Quality: 100%
Audio Quality: 98%
Force Two Channel Audio Downmix Checked. (XBOX 360 won't do surround for streaming)
Note that two pass codecs DO NOT work. I'd prefer but oh well. I do Quality Based because I have plenty of hard disk space and don't want to risk running out of bits in an action scene. It usually encodes to between 5,000 and 7,000kbps.

3. Configure TVersity as a media server
The installation process of TVersity will set your current media server service to disabled. Setup is pretty straight forward. Tell it where your library is and setup your resolutions. I increased my max resolution to 1280x720. You can go 1080i but I haven't tried it yet.

4. Play from your XBOX
From the XBOX 360 you DO NOT start the Media Extender. Go to your videos and select a remote media server (the one running TVersity). It should connect to your computer and allow you to browse to "Folders" which has the folders you added to your library the first time. Browse to the file you want to play and open it. If it fails the first time, try again. Mine fails the first time on every new movie. The second time almost always works.

That should do it. You can find the apps listed on google.com
Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup.

Catharsys

Postby Catharsys » Dec 21st, 2008 at 5:10 pm

hrm sharing files in windows media player doesn't output as HD?

Burzum
Benefactor

Postby Burzum » Jan 6th, 2009 at 10:05 am

Do or do not. There is no why.

~.^ but seriously I couldn't get it to play for me without re-coding and using TVersity. There might be another way but that's how I got it to work.
Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup.

Return to “All Things Hardware”