OPPO BDP-83 Blu-Ray Disc Player

Need some advice on what video card to buy? Wanna buy/sell/trade some equipment? This is the place to ask.

Moderators: EatMoreLead, Suck., DocNsane

K2
Administrator

OPPO BDP-83 Blu-Ray Disc Player

Postby K2 » Dec 11th, 2008 at 12:45 am

For any of ya out there that are audio/videophiles, or have been waiting for a decent blu-ray player that can do it all before deciding to make the switch, you may be interested in this upcoming blu-ray player.

Here's the email I got from Oppo this morning regarding their upcoming BDP-83:

Thank you for signing up to receive information about our upcoming OPPO BDP-83 Blu-ray Disc Player. We appreciate your interest, and would like to update you on the current development status of this exciting new product.

One of the major design goals for the BDP-83 is to deliver first-class video quality for both Blu-ray and DVD. We based and expanded upon our top-of-the-line DV-983H up-converting DVD player and fully utilize the unparalleled performance of the VRS by Anchor Bay video processing solution. You can expect all the high-end video features including Source Direct for DVD and Blu-ray, high definition HDMI scaling, Edge and Detail Enhancement options, and 1080p24Hz output for both Blu-ray and DVD.

We did not stop at just video performance. We further refined the audio stage, including the addition of discrete stereo outputs and increasing the power and efficiency of the power supply. For SACD playback, the BDP-83 supports direct DSD over HDMI and DSD-to-analog without any PCM conversion, a very unique feature.

With the BDP-83, we intend to release a full-featured universal Blu-ray Disc player that supports BD Profile 2.0 (BD-Live), DVD, SACD, DVD-Audio, Dolby TrueHD, and DTS-HD Master Audio. As of this writing, the BDP-83 supports BD Profile 1.1 (BONUSVIEW), DVD-Video, SACD, and bitstreaming of Dolby TrueHD and DTS-HD Master Audio. Progress is being made on a daily basis as our engineers work diligently around the clock to further enable DVD-Audio, Dolby TrueHD and DTS-HD Master Audio onboard decoding, and BD Profile 2.0.

The BDP-83 is currently undergoing an extensive and thorough Beta Test Program. We greatly appreciate all the feedback from our beta testers, as without their hard work and extraordinary attention to detail, the BDP-83 would not be the high quality product that our customers have come to expect from us.

As many of our customers eagerly anticipate the release of the BDP83, we are contemplating a "BDP-83 Early Adoption Program" in late December or early January. This program will make available a limited number of units so you can purchase and experience the current implementation of the BDP-83's feature set, with the ability to download firmware as new features become available. The estimated price for the BDP-83 is around $499 to $599.

OPPO Digital is a consumer-oriented company that listens carefully to customer opinions and values their feedback. If it were not for our customers' feedback and support, OPPO would not be where we are today. At OPPO we strive to provide our customers with quality products reinforced by exceptional customer service.

I had been waiting for the format war to end, which it did early this year, and the plan was to upgrade to blu-ray once I redeployed. I was initially going to go with Panasonic's solution to blu-ray, which is decent, but lacking. Oppo is one of those companies that is known to the audio/videophile community, but is not mainstream. Their latest standard DVD player is considered the best of the best. This blu-ray player of theirs has been anticipated for quite some time.

Anyways. If you're looking to finally get into hidef blu-ray viewing, this is definitely the first and last player you'd need to get. It's on the pricey side, but as with anything, ya get what ya pay for.

K2
Administrator

Postby K2 » Jan 2nd, 2009 at 8:34 am

Link to the AVS forum discussion page, which is continuously updated by beta testers and early adopter program people - http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1094659

K2
Administrator

Postby K2 » Feb 28th, 2009 at 1:17 am

The EAP (early adoption program) just started the other day, and the NDA has been lifted from the beta test. A newer, more in-depth info thread w/ various links to reviews and product manuals can be found here - http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1124287

No joke people... if you've been holding out for a Blu-ray player that's backwards compatible with standard DVD's as well as every other physical/file format you can think of, this is the one to get. I'm ordering one this summer once I get moved stateside.

Best_predator
Banished to Siberia

Postby Best_predator » Feb 28th, 2009 at 3:20 am

Honestly, PS3 works like a charm for me.
Sneaky bastard...
"Knowing is not enough; we must apply. Willing is not enough; we must do." ~ Goethe

K2
Administrator

Postby K2 » Feb 28th, 2009 at 4:20 am

The PS3 is fine for basic blu-ray playback, plus it has the 2nd fastest load time out of any of them (this OPPO just beat it). A player like this is for the serious A/V person/system.

Return to “All Things Hardware”