API

Need some advice on what video card to buy? Wanna buy/sell/trade some equipment? This is the place to ask.

Moderators: EatMoreLead, Suck., DocNsane

Best_predator
Banished to Siberia

API

Postby Best_predator » Dec 2nd, 2008 at 2:26 am

Does OpenGL 3.0 support requires ANY changes on the hardware level? Because I now when it went from DirectX 9 to 10 it needed some serious hardware upgrades.
Sneaky bastard...
"Knowing is not enough; we must apply. Willing is not enough; we must do." ~ Goethe

K2
Administrator

Postby K2 » Dec 2nd, 2008 at 11:53 pm

Yeah I believe so. Most GPU's out support opengl 2.x standard. I cant think of any that support 3.0 - I didnt even think it was officially out yet. Been a lot of problems getting that standard out.

Best_predator
Banished to Siberia

Postby Best_predator » Dec 3rd, 2008 at 6:03 pm

That's what I thought also. But I keep reading articles that state that AMD/NVidia keep releasing drivers for opengl 3.0 support:

http://www.tgdaily.com/content/view/39362/140/

What does that mean? Does it mean the drivers support it but the video cards themselves don't?
Sneaky bastard...
"Knowing is not enough; we must apply. Willing is not enough; we must do." ~ Goethe

Phoenix
Elite Member

Postby Phoenix » Dec 4th, 2008 at 11:03 pm

I read an article at one point that said you needed a DX10 level card to use it but it didn't specify if that was just for the power or if it was chip set instructions.
Former HF clan member, server admin, all around troll

"You don't do things right once-in-a-while. You do them right all the time."- Vince Lombardi

Best_predator
Banished to Siberia

Postby Best_predator » Dec 5th, 2008 at 8:11 pm

It's hard to find any specific info on it. OpenGL is very versatile compared to DirectX but can the new "instructions" operate on software level?
Sneaky bastard...

Return to “All Things Hardware”