New HDD

Need some advice on what video card to buy? Wanna buy/sell/trade some equipment? This is the place to ask.

Moderators: EatMoreLead, Suck., DocNsane

DirtyCabbage

New HDD

Postby DirtyCabbage » Jan 11th, 2008 at 1:58 pm

Hey guys. I got a new HDD lastnight, sATA port. My main one in the computer right now is regular IDE sadly enough (go wifey!) Anywho. I installed it plugged it into a sATA port on my mobo, it acts like it reads it, even shows it in device manager, yet i can't see it in my computer to use it... it came with a jumper setting but i removed it because it says it is only needed for 1.5 gb/s ports while mine supports 3gb/s on my mobo. I have tried 2 different ports on my mobo and it still will not show in computer. Any help would be much appreciated. Thought it would be simple, but apparently not.

G$
Benefactor

Postby G$ » Jan 11th, 2008 at 2:33 pm

Assuming you are on an XP/Vista system - right click on my computer > manage > disk management. You should see the new drive as unallocated space. You can create a volume, assign it a drive letter, and format it as desired. Once you do that you should see the drive in Winders

G$

DirtyCabbage

Postby DirtyCabbage » Jan 12th, 2008 at 1:58 am

TYVM sir, that was it. Weird though, it shows it in my taskbar as removable hardware, which I guess it is? Do i need to stop it each time before I turn off my computer? I am narb.

Phoenix
Elite Member

Postby Phoenix » Jan 12th, 2008 at 8:43 am

Every SATA drive I have ever used did that, you shouldn't need to turn it off. In my current computer that is the only hard drive in it and it shows like that, just shut her down and everything will be fine.
Former HF clan member, server admin, all around troll

"You don't do things right once-in-a-while. You do them right all the time."- Vince Lombardi

Catharsys

Postby Catharsys » Jan 12th, 2008 at 1:34 pm

A lot of computers have eSATA ports on the backside is the reason why.

Suck.
Benefactor

Postby Suck. » Jan 12th, 2008 at 6:07 pm

I have a both a SATA and an eSATA drive, but only my eSATA drive shows up in Safely Remove Hardware.

-Grant.

Return to “All Things Hardware”