HD-DVD - on its way out?

Need some advice on what video card to buy? Wanna buy/sell/trade some equipment? This is the place to ask.

Moderators: EatMoreLead, Suck., DocNsane

K2
Administrator

HD-DVD - on its way out?

Postby K2 » Jan 6th, 2008 at 12:58 am

Have a look - http://www.dailytech.com/HD+DVD+Group+C ... e10234.htm

In a nutshell - Warner bros. is dropping HD-DVD and going Blu-Ray exclusive. read the entire article on why this is significant.

Soo... how many of ya have already taken the plunge into the hidef dvd arena? Personally, I am glad I have waited. My plans were to wait until I finish this deployment, then upon return see which format was finally adopted as mainstream and go with it, or at the very least get a dual-format player. Very glad I had the patience to wait... wasn't easy tho, as my bigscreen TV at home can do true HD (1900x1080) progressive, and has HDMI input.

So whatcha got people? And what's your experience been so far?

Maverick
Elite Member

Postby Maverick » Jan 6th, 2008 at 10:47 am

I don't have any high-def DVD stuff yet. But most of my friends and co-workers do.

It's easily tilted to Blu-Ray mainly because of PS3. Even guys who are hardcore Xbox360 fanboys bought themselves a PS3 console over the holidays because the PS3 is such a high tech package. Instead of buying the add-on HD-DVD player for Xbox360.

I've only watched Blu-Ray before and it's noticeably better than DVD in terms of video quality and audio fidelity.
"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing..."
-Edmund Burke

Phoenix
Elite Member

Postby Phoenix » Jan 6th, 2008 at 12:10 pm

I've stayed out for just this reason, wanted to see which one won out. I can't say I'm happy that HD DVD didn't win, it was a cheaper tech but life will go on, I'll probably buy one around this time next year.
Former HF clan member, server admin, all around troll

"You don't do things right once-in-a-while. You do them right all the time."- Vince Lombardi

SinneD

Postby SinneD » Jan 6th, 2008 at 7:33 pm

I've been format neutral for a little over a year now, I have a ps3 and the xbox 360 hd player. I had a gut feeling HD would not beat out Blu-Ray due to studio support. no hate from me tho since I do love hi-def movies. Now I'm just saving for a new Denon, Onkyo or Harmon Kardon reciver with full hdmi 1.3 support so I can finally use Uncompressed LPCM audio :twisted: (yes it does make a difference if you have a nice set of speakers, I have Polk R-50 fronts, Polk center, and Fluance Bi-Polar surrounds)

K2
Administrator

Postby K2 » Feb 16th, 2008 at 12:30 pm

Looks like HD-DVD is done - http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20080215/tc_ ... G8yyEjtBAF

I dont see how they could stay around for too much longer.

SinneD

Postby SinneD » Feb 16th, 2008 at 2:21 pm

I was reading a link somewhere on Digg.com that Toshiba is getting it's feet wet into making a Blu-Ray player, so yea gg it's gameover.

For anyone with an HD-DVD player already check out Amazon and ebay some good deals for movies, Amazon has HD's at $15 or lower and on ebay they are cheap also, almost bought the Harry Potter HD's last night for $1 a piece.

If you're looking for the best Blu-Ray player out, newegg has the 40gb PS3 onsale with Spiderman 3 blu-ray for $399

K2
Administrator

Postby K2 » Feb 16th, 2008 at 3:08 pm

Want the latest info and best recommendations on audio/video gear? Check out this site - http://www.avsforum.com

This is the site I went to when shopping for my widescreen LCD HDTV awhile back. If you're shopping for AV gear, this is definitely one site you wanna check out before dropping down the cash.

When I get back from Iraq, I'm going to get a blu-ray player. From what I hear right now, stay away from Samsung, they can't seem to make a reliable BD player yet.

Maverick
Elite Member

Postby Maverick » Feb 16th, 2008 at 3:34 pm

A Playstation 3 is easily in my future now that Blu-Ray has pretty much won the war.
-Edmund Burke

SinneD

Postby SinneD » Feb 16th, 2008 at 5:17 pm

avsforum is a great forum, been a reader for a long time now. and yeah as of right now Samsung's are a no good for a player, but there DLP tv's are still amazing.

JayPhat
Elite Member

Postby JayPhat » Feb 16th, 2008 at 11:14 pm

Maverick wrote:A Playstation 3 is easily in my future now that Blu-Ray has pretty much won the war.

I read somewhere at the recent Entertainment Expo a Microsoft exec said it would take "very little programming" to make the 360 read a Blu-Ray Drive.

Maverick
Elite Member

Postby Maverick » Feb 17th, 2008 at 10:50 am

JayPhat wrote:
Maverick wrote:A Playstation 3 is easily in my future now that Blu-Ray has pretty much won the war.

I read somewhere at the recent Entertainment Expo a Microsoft exec said it would take "very little programming" to make the 360 read a Blu-Ray Drive.

Yeah but Microsoft screwed itself by being greedy or stupid (probably both) and designing the the HD-DVD player as a add-on peripheral. So they would have to do the same with Blu-Ray.

It wouldn't be worth the cost to design and produce add-on Blu-Ray players but I'm sure they will consider it. I highly doubt they will integrate Blu-Ray into the core Xbox 360. Imagine how many pissed off previous owners they would have...as if they weren't already pissed off by the "red-rings of death" and the Xbox Live fiascos.

Just going on the sales of Xbox HD-DVD players alone, I don't think they will do it.

Also who in their right mind would buy an add-on Blu-Ray player when for almost the same cost you can get a PS3 that does more.

That's what all the peeps I know, who own an Xbox 360, have done.
-Edmund Burke

K2
Administrator

Postby K2 » Feb 17th, 2008 at 11:20 am

Looks like the format war is over - http://www.joystiq.com/2008/02/16/toshi ... -ray-wins/

Mario-x

Postby Mario-x » Feb 17th, 2008 at 3:40 pm

I got a HD-DVD player around thanksgiving, but its not a big deal its dead now, got 7 free HD-DVDs for spending $200. Not like Blu-ray is much better then HD-DVD anyway. Just stinking having to get another player (even tho it also comes with free movies).

Its just wether I'd want a PS3 or get an actual blu-ray player.

I'd like HD-DVD exclusives to stay HD-DVD only..... yea, unlikly, thay will change to blu-ray is my guess. I'l have to buy up some of those cheep HD-DVD movies while thay are available.

K2
Administrator

Postby K2 » Feb 19th, 2008 at 2:37 pm

Well, the fat lady has sung. It's officially over for HD-DVD. Long live Blu-ray... I guess.

http://www.cnn.com/2008/BUSINESS/02/19/ ... index.html

G$
Benefactor

Postby G$ » Feb 19th, 2008 at 5:05 pm

The large sucking sound you hear is HDDVD circling the bowl. And Toshiba's annual earnings statement.

G$

Return to “All Things Hardware”