Well aint this a bitch... (Dell XPS M1710)

Need some advice on what video card to buy? Wanna buy/sell/trade some equipment? This is the place to ask.

Moderators: EatMoreLead, Suck., DocNsane

K2
Administrator

Well aint this a bitch... (Dell XPS M1710)

Postby K2 » Jun 29th, 2006 at 6:15 pm

I just broke down and ordered a certified refurbished XPS M1710 laptop from Dell. Here's the specs:

Intel Core Duo CPU T2500 (2.0GHz/2MB L2 cache/667MHz FSB)
1GB DDR2 SDRAM at 667MHz (2x 512MB DIMMS)
512MB nVidia GeForce Go 7900 GTX
100GB SATA HD (7200 rpm)
Intergrated SB Audigy advanced HD audio
8x DVD +/- RW w/ dbl-layer write capability
17" ultrasharp widescreen UXGA display w/ TrueLife

And here's the bitch part - was hoping since this was a refurb, that since it's already built, it would ship before the lan. But the estimated ship date is July 11th, the *day after* the lan :(

I called Dell support to see if they could expedite the order, but they said even on cert refurbs, they test out all of the components before shipping... which really isnt a bad thing. I read the other dell thread, and I know a lot of ya said Dell will ship sooner than what they say they'll ship on, but we're gonna be state-hopping between Oklahoma, Texas, and Massachusetts over a period of 10 days, and I dont wanna play hit-or-miss with it. Bummer :?

So you'll all get to see my beat up HP zv5000 series laptop that has a DX7-only-capable geforce 4 havin', dented keyboard, cracked lcd screen with ink leaking out along the cracks over the bottom left of the screen gaming miracle machine.

Game on when I get back and get the dell cfg'ed tho :twisted:

FYI - anyone have any experience with the mobile intel core duo? I know they're only 32-bit capable, but how do they compete against say an athlon64 3200?

sohpriest

Postby sohpriest » Jun 29th, 2006 at 9:03 pm

got mine the day before it said it would ship. Took 7 buisness days for me and they built it new. Hope that helps.
"I am Jack's smirking revenge."

Catalyst22
Elite Member

Postby Catalyst22 » Jun 29th, 2006 at 9:19 pm

dude nice system.

Did you get a good deal? Sometimes you can get great deals by combining rebates and coupon codes from www.techbargains.com
“When you have the facts on your side, argue the facts. When you have the law on your side, argue the law. When neither is on your side, change the subject and question the motives of the opposition.â€

K2
Administrator

Postby K2 » Jun 29th, 2006 at 9:28 pm

I priced the exact same laptop as if I were getting it new - saving about 650 bucks :D

pyrox420
Elite Member

Postby pyrox420 » Jun 29th, 2006 at 10:49 pm

Yea, can someone compare the core duo with something like a Turion 64bit? I want a new HP laptop and i save about 650 bucks by getting the AMD. But from the reviews i've read the batterly life isn't as great. Thoughts?
"You know what the chain of command is? It's the chain I go get and beat you with until you understand who's in ruttin' command here". - Jayne

Catalyst22
Elite Member

Postby Catalyst22 » Jun 29th, 2006 at 11:07 pm

all I know is that AMD's suck the juice but thats about all I know.

I had a high end laptop that lasted 15 minutes on battery and it didn't bother me since I'm never going to use it when its not plugged in.
“When you have the facts on your side, argue the facts. When you have the law on your side, argue the law. When neither is on your side, change the subject and question the motives of the opposition.â€

Campsalot

Postby Campsalot » Jun 29th, 2006 at 11:30 pm

K2.. no lie.. I just got that EXACT system in yesterday. The only main difference is mine has 2 gb of RAM. I was a bit skeptical but after firing it up and trying a few games on it, I am HIGHLY impressed. It is a very sweet machine. As for the bling-bling factor, you can go into the BIOS and change the color of the LEDs on the top of the case, the fans on either side, and the front speakers. Each set of LEDs can be assigned one of about a dozen different colors. The touch pad even has an LED "XPS" on it (but you can't change that color). The screen on this thing is nothing short of amazing. It is the clearest, cleanest laptop screen I have ever seen. Enjoy, my friend.

Oh, and mine took right at 6 business days from order to doorstep.

Camps

K2
Administrator

Postby K2 » Jun 30th, 2006 at 12:45 am

pyrox420 wrote:Yea, can someone compare the core duo with something like a Turion 64bit? I want a new HP laptop and i save about 650 bucks by getting the AMD. But from the reviews i've read the batterly life isn't as great. Thoughts?

Well, for starters the core duo is just that - a true dual cpu chip, with a huge L2 cache, so that's automatically in your favor. Alas it does not support the x64 instruction set :( I'll hunt up some benchmarks if I can and post em.

Camps - wow that's awesome ;) Dell should sponsor HF, a lot of us own some sort of dell product in one fashion or another...

DocNsane

Postby DocNsane » Jun 30th, 2006 at 2:28 am

IT's still a shitty impelmentation of dual core technology, but it is a dual core. AMD won't have dual turions till the end of the year.

K2
Administrator

Postby K2 » Jun 30th, 2006 at 4:28 am

I found a great benchmark review of the Intel Core Duo T2500 (the model in my new laptop) vs. three different flavors of AMD's athlon64 X2 processors - http://www.anandtech.com/cpuchipsets/sh ... i=2648&p=1

In a nutshell - the amd X2's would slightly beat out the core duo in most gaming benchmarks. In a couple cases, the core duo either tied or even outperformed the athlon64 X2 4200 (on CoD2).

Overall - yeah this is one fast lil CPU. The only downside I see is the lack of x64 instruction set. The upcoming Core2 Duo/Conroe will be 64-bit capable tho for those of ya wanting to grab one of those later this year.

K2
Administrator

Postby K2 » Jul 1st, 2006 at 11:42 pm

Update - Dell's estimated time to ship: July 11th. Actual ship date: June 30th :? This is good, cuz now I'll have this bad-boy at the lan. But I had to call fedex to cancel the re-ship back to hawaii, and ship it here to oklahoma instead (i'm on the mainland, woot!).

gg Dell... I think? :shock:

K2
Administrator

Postby K2 » Jul 2nd, 2006 at 12:02 am

The price I paid for the cert. refurb, w/ tax, shipping, everything - $2900 and change, US dollars. The same exact specs brand new minus tax and shipping, just shy of $3400.

In Canadian that comes out to just under 40 million.

K2
Administrator

Postby K2 » Jul 3rd, 2006 at 5:37 pm

Check this out... the new 'Merom' class Core2 Duo notebook CPU that is set to debut in just a few weeks can be switched out with existing 'Yonah' class Core Duo's. The pin layout is the same, and all ya gotta do is a quick BIOS update. There's a guy on the HardOCP forums that has a small quanity of these CPU's now that he's offereing to sell, and he says that it's already been proven to work in a couple laptops w/o a bios update, including the XPS M1710.

I did a lil digging, and Intel does confirm that the Core2 Duo CPU's (both desktop and laptop versions) can be switched out with existing Core system CPU's.

And it seems that Dell got it way right with this laptop, as the cpu and vid card can be upgraded along with the memory and hard drive... ;)

For those not in the know, Core2 Duo cpu's bring the x64 instruction set, SSE4, and a much larger L2 cache (4MB), all on a 65nm process.

Return to “All Things Hardware”