9800Pro Issues

Need some advice on what video card to buy? Wanna buy/sell/trade some equipment? This is the place to ask.

Moderators: EatMoreLead, Suck., DocNsane

Kahuna Mas

9800Pro Issues

Postby Kahuna Mas » Jan 11th, 2006 at 1:16 am

Ok had my ATI 9800Pro for about a year now and I went to upgrade to a 850Pro. Long story short I returned the x850pro. I then added ram to make 1.5 DDR400 speed (all same mafg). Since reinstalling the 9800pro, I now have some crappy graphics bugs.

To make this simple, here's what I have done:
- uninstalled and reinstalled Catalyst drivers
- pulled out the new ram and went back to my original 1gig

At first everything works great, but then the graphics start have issues. Not sure the best way to describe, but anything that moves draws these huge messed up triangles looks like the mystify screen saver.

Part of thinks there may be a heating issue, but I am out of knowledge at this point.

Any suggestions?

Having this issue on BF2, AOEIII, Rollercoaster Tycoon 3. Haven't tried any other games.

K2
Administrator

Postby K2 » Jan 11th, 2006 at 1:26 am

Not to sound too negative here... but you may have inadvertently shocked your 9800pro, as in static shock from handling it without properly grounding yourself first.

The only times I have ever seen a vid card act that way, was if the cooling fan failed (I had a gefore 1 that happened too) or when the onboard memory went bad from a electrical discharge (TNT2 came out of the agp slot while the system was still on... dont ask).

You're troubleshooting things correctly... I'd suggest getting ahold of another vid card ya know without a doubt works 100% and drop it in, see how it performs, that way you can isolate the issue to the card instead of it being another hardware component - then go from there.

Catalyst22
Elite Member

Postby Catalyst22 » Jan 11th, 2006 at 2:11 am

My system was doing the same thing and the culprit was the chipset fan. System runs fine for about the first hour or two then BAM glitches and shity frame rate. I replaced the chipset fan with a spare 80mm (until I get off my butt and buy a real one) and it runs great. If the 80mm fan gets to close to my vid card then I get major glitch issues.

I have an Abit IS7-E Mb (good performer, horrible fans. I had 3 die before I realized what was causing it).
“When you have the facts on your side, argue the facts. When you have the law on your side, argue the law. When neither is on your side, change the subject and question the motives of the opposition.â€

Oreo
l33t scr1pt0r

Postby Oreo » Jan 11th, 2006 at 5:22 am

What you're seeing is called artifacting. This usually happens when your card is:
1) not getting enough voltage (happens when overclocking usually, or if you don't have the aux power plugged into the card.
2) has a core or memory overclock too high with cooling that doesn't match it.
3) overheating due to dead fans, hot case, or incorrect placement of heatsink/fan.

Hope this is slightly helpful.

Kahuna Mas

Postby Kahuna Mas » Jan 11th, 2006 at 9:46 am

Great feedback guys. Thanks!

I'll try it tonight.

After your feedback, my instincts are telling me that it is a heat issue on the card itself. Thought my computer was somewhat quieter. It only sounds like a generator and not like a 747. :P

Hypothetically, if the fan went out on the card, how can that be replaced?

EatMoreLead
Benefactor

Postby EatMoreLead » Jan 11th, 2006 at 11:17 am

get a new video card already!
EatMoreLead aka EML

Kahuna Mas

Postby Kahuna Mas » Jan 11th, 2006 at 11:28 am

I am secretly hoping it doesn't work so I can justify it. Problem is I have AGP and the biggest card I can get is the x850. Its hard to justify buying a new card for $250-400 that basically gives me the ability to run BF2 one rez level higher with a few extra settings.

While I'm thinking about it, does anyone have any feedback on the difference between the X850 Pro ($250) vs. the X850XT ($400)?

I'm trying to find out why the XT is worth $150 more.

K2
Administrator

Postby K2 » Jan 11th, 2006 at 1:17 pm

Kahuna Mas wrote:I am secretly hoping it doesn't work so I can justify it...

Secretly hoping with a pick-axe usually does the trick.

Kahuna Mas

Postby Kahuna Mas » Jan 11th, 2006 at 4:11 pm

I can't have a pickaxe in the house right now. If I get caught paying $250-$400 for a video card that doesn't wash dishes or clean shitty diapers then my wife will use that pickaxe on her husband.

GoatX12
Fresh Meat

Postby GoatX12 » Jan 11th, 2006 at 4:22 pm

Water cooling is the way to go, I switched over a while back and boy does it make a difference, and no overheating problems. Downside is make sure all your connects are secure, I had an o-ring leak on my first attempt and fried a video card (thank god for manufactures warrantys) but it helped me to justify to my wife why I needed the XFX 7800GTX.

If your sure it's a video card problem, and the card is under 3 years old try to get them to RMA it, before you go and buy a new card might save yourself $250-$400.

Oh and max settings actually makes a diference in BF2 I've noticed that depending on resolution settings, on the lower settings the fog is closer and you can't see as far.

Oreo
l33t scr1pt0r

Postby Oreo » Jan 11th, 2006 at 4:58 pm

I use low settings on BF2 (everything low) while I was using an x300SE and didn't notice the fog being any closer or futher. You just make the max view distance 100%.

To replace the fan you would have to buy a VGA cooler. on the 9800pro the fan is built into that heatsink, so you could probably just buy a VGA cooler for $20-$30.

Catalyst22
Elite Member

Postby Catalyst22 » Jan 11th, 2006 at 5:54 pm

there is a heat pipe heat sink thingy that is supposed to be top notch, but you need a 80mm in/out running across it.

READ THIS
Trick to replaceing a video card fan is:

Run a video bench test a couple of times to heat it up nice and hot. Then pop it off with a plastic kitchen knife. The little push pin things that hold it onto the gpu can be pushed out with some needle nose very easily. If you don't heat it up nice and hot before you disasemble your system, you are prob going to find it difficult to remove without prying. If its hot, it will slide right off and its also easier to remove the excess HS compound with a credit card or razor blade.
“When you have the facts on your side, argue the facts. When you have the law on your side, argue the law. When neither is on your side, change the subject and question the motives of the opposition.â€

Kahuna Mas

Postby Kahuna Mas » Jan 11th, 2006 at 6:27 pm

Well the GPU fan is working like normal. Not sure where to go from here. I will try to see if ATI will replace.

DocNsane

Postby DocNsane » Jan 19th, 2006 at 1:53 am

Every card just wants to know,
Will you give it good airflow?

Kahuna Mas

Postby Kahuna Mas » Jan 19th, 2006 at 10:29 am

Well dammit, all I needed was a reason...

I have a x850xt agp due to arrive tommorow :twisted:

Servo

Postby Servo » Jan 19th, 2006 at 12:47 pm

I would first run with the case oppen so you can actually see if the fan is spinning, if it is, you might be able to avoid replacing the cooling system. Then make sure everything is hooked up correctly, use a power plug that is on its own rail from the PSU.

I had a similar problem with BF2 and my 9800 pro. One of the issues I was having was overheating, but the problem was airflow through the case, not the heat sync. I took my computer appart and put it back together while paying attention to cable management and the problem went away. Plus, now I can put a window on my case. If I suffer major head trauma that is....

I would aslo reinstall everything, chipset drivers, video drivers, and the game itself. That is sort of the virgin sacrafice of computer mantinace. Do a little dance and shake a rain stick while doing it for best results.

Kahuna Mas

Postby Kahuna Mas » Jan 19th, 2006 at 1:05 pm

Done all those things. At this point ATI has suggested an RMA which is fine, but I also wanted the x850xt. With that said, I'll have a new 9800Pro for sale in the near future for anyone interested.

EDIT- dropped the x850xt in tonight. My FPS on BF2 went from about 60fps on low settings to at 1024 rez to 70 on medium high settings at 1280 rez AA & AF 2x. A nice improvement!

Return to “All Things Hardware”