New rig for the 'rents

Need some advice on what video card to buy? Wanna buy/sell/trade some equipment? This is the place to ask.

Moderators: EatMoreLead, Suck., DocNsane

Suck.
Benefactor

New rig for the 'rents

Postby Suck. » Apr 20th, 2013 at 12:02 pm

My parents are using a Dell that's at least a decade old, maybe half again as long as that. It's freakin' ridiculous. I stopped fixing it for them many years ago, b/c it wasn't worth the trouble. The thing is, they still complain about it all the damn time, and bug me to make it faster. Even if I wiped it (yet again) and did a fresh reinstall, it wouldn't be much better at this point.

So, not wanting to spend the time or energy building them something myself, I found a decent deal on newegg.com. I grabbed this for them as combination birthday/parents' days present from my siblings and me: HP Compaq DC7900 Desktop PC Core 2 Duo 3.0GHz 2GB 80GB HDD Capacity Windows 7 Home Premium 32-Bit.

It will need a RAM upgrade, but aside from that, it looks pretty good on paper. I have yet to get it out of the box. We'll see how it goes when I set it up at their house tomorrow. I'll let you guys know if it's worth the price. It might be a pretty good deal for anyone looking for a cheap rig.

-Grant.

K2
Administrator

Re: New rig for the 'rents

Postby K2 » Apr 21st, 2013 at 9:53 am

Yeah for email/web surfing use for the parents, that's perfect. Just don't go over 4 GB ram unless you plan and using a 64-bit OS with it.

Return to “All Things Hardware”