Ubuntu as primary OS....

Unix/Linux users rejoice! This forum is just for you.

Moderators: EatMoreLead, Suck.

pyrox420
Elite Member

Ubuntu as primary OS....

Postby pyrox420 » Oct 21st, 2007 at 4:12 pm

So with the Gutsy release from Ubuntu i'm taking the plunge and will start using it as my primary Operating System....

My saving grace is that VMware runs native on linux and i'll be setting up a winXP guest OS. Basically to run my VPN client for work, other than that... most will run fine under WINE.

So... i might be offline for a few days. Just an FYI...

Wish me luck!
"You know what the chain of command is? It's the chain I go get and beat you with until you understand who's in ruttin' command here". - Jayne

KillerClown

Postby KillerClown » Oct 22nd, 2007 at 9:34 am

pfft, linux is way easier to connect to the internet with.. :P
And VMWare is amazing... :D
"Truth is treason in the empire of lies." - Ron Paul

pyrox420
Elite Member

Postby pyrox420 » Oct 22nd, 2007 at 9:37 am

Install was so freaking easy. I was up and running under 15 minutes. Autodetected all my hardware.... everything works awesome!

The restricted nvidia driver installed flawlessly so i have nice visual effects now... xp can suck my balls.

Next tasks:
Steam up and running on WINE.
Ipod stuff via SongBird.
VMWare for vpn client for work.
"You know what the chain of command is? It's the chain I go get and beat you with until you understand who's in ruttin' command here". - Jayne

KillerClown

Postby KillerClown » Oct 22nd, 2007 at 9:41 am

I've run Ubuntu numerous times myself, using VMWare, always was a pretty smooth OS.

Edit: I've literally run nearly every OS available on a PC system, every MS OS 9Including betas), most Linux distributions...and on and on. Ubuntu was the smoothest performing of them all, and most functional, for what I thought was needed.
"Truth is treason in the empire of lies." - Ron Paul

pyrox420
Elite Member

Postby pyrox420 » Oct 26th, 2007 at 10:23 am

MWAHAHA! TF2 working in WINE just great! :)

I'd say it's 98% there. I had one issue in which if i didn't run the game resolution as the same resolution on my desktop the game was half on screen and half off. Change d that and all was well! I'm getting about the same performance as windows, maybe a few FPS less. Also it's not detecting directx9 so i don't get the nice looking water. But other than that... works swimmingly! :)

Photoshop CS2 on the other hand... i can't freaking register the stupid thing so i have to muck around with some registry shit that will fix that.

Ubuntu > All

Catharsys

Postby Catharsys » Oct 26th, 2007 at 1:09 pm

Won't install on my laptop, stalls at 3% when loading Linux.

Had it on a test system a while back, but that computer was made up of faulty parts.

Oreo
l33t scr1pt0r

Postby Oreo » Nov 1st, 2007 at 5:57 am

I think I will slap this on to my now secondary 74GB empty raptor and see if I can't get some dual boot action going.

I like Vista but what's wrong with probing around with something that could be better for certain situations? :) The Beryl action looks pretty nifty and I am curious to see how everything flows and works.

If anything it will be fun to learn something new.

Oreo
l33t scr1pt0r

Postby Oreo » Nov 3rd, 2007 at 3:41 am

I stepped in and stepped right back out. No support for my sound card until 08. A computer without sound is like having no computer.

Return to “*nix”