Who runs a Web,FTP,DNS,Email server from home?

Unix/Linux users rejoice! This forum is just for you.

Moderators: EatMoreLead, Suck.

ElvisG

Who runs a Web,FTP,DNS,Email server from home?

Postby ElvisG » Jun 8th, 2006 at 5:13 pm

Well I decided that I wanted to move away from Windows platform and work on my skills on linux. One of my friends run his websites from home so I started to think "Hey why don't I do that." With only 2 days experience in Linux, I got the website, ftp running but I screwed up some simply things along the way. So with that, I decided that I wanted to run also a e-mail server from home.

The whole process was actually quite simple. I just followed this link http://www.howtoforge.com/perfect_setup_ubuntu_6.06 . Then I went to http://www.dyndns.com/ and created a account picked a url name, went into my netgear router (it had dyndns already built into the firmware) and away I went.

I'm using port 8080 and 432 for apache2. I enjoyed it so much that I'm formatting the server and doing it again.

Believe it or not, this is running on a 1.4 amd with 786 Mb of ram. I really don't plan on having a lot of friends getting access just mostly family. My cable internet doesn't like servers running but as long as you don't use port 80 cox hasn't said anything. If anyone has questions just ask away.

http://graceland.homeip.net/drupal I installed drupal but it doesn't give me the features I really want right out of the box.

K2
Administrator

Postby K2 » Jun 8th, 2006 at 5:19 pm

Hardfought's web/ftp/email server started on my home DSL connection when I was living in Dallas. Only reason I switched it over to a webhost was when I joined the military.

ElvisG

Postby ElvisG » Jun 8th, 2006 at 5:42 pm

Maybe you could give me some advice on how to setup a domain name to my DNS server.

rekloose-[PUPPY]
Elite Member

Postby rekloose-[PUPPY] » Jun 8th, 2006 at 6:13 pm

?? You don't have a DNS server, which is the reason why you're using dyndns, right?

K2
Administrator

Postby K2 » Jun 8th, 2006 at 6:27 pm

When you setup your domain name thru a registrar, they almost always provide the name servers FOR you, that way there's no need to have to set one up for yourself.

ElvisG

Postby ElvisG » Jun 8th, 2006 at 7:01 pm

I own a domain now but never had to solve this issue.

Two questions:

1st) What is the point of setting up a DNS at home?

2d) If I want to setup my domain to point to my home computer do I need DNS server installed?

I'm just trying to understand exactly how it works.

pyrox420
Elite Member

Postby pyrox420 » Jun 9th, 2006 at 9:10 am

We'll depending on what kind of IP you have at your house... mine is completely dynamic so anytime i reboot my router i get a new one. I'd just stick with dynDNS.

But if your IP never changes.... enjoy. :)
http://gd.tuwien.ac.at/opsys/linux/Linu ... erver.html
"You know what the chain of command is? It's the chain I go get and beat you with until you understand who's in ruttin' command here". - Jayne

Catalyst22
Elite Member

Postby Catalyst22 » Jun 9th, 2006 at 10:34 am

ElvisG wrote:I own a domain now but never had to solve this issue.

Two questions:

1st) What is the point of setting up a DNS at home?

2d) If I want to setup my domain to point to my home computer do I need DNS server installed?

I'm just trying to understand exactly how it works.

You need to have a hosted DNS solution or DyDNS.
“When you have the facts on your side, argue the facts. When you have the law on your side, argue the law. When neither is on your side, change the subject and question the motives of the opposition.â€

ElvisG

Postby ElvisG » Jun 9th, 2006 at 8:17 pm

Cool thanks everybody but I also have one more question. I installed Drupal but I really didn't care for it because it didn't really have a large support following. I have used geeklog and really liked it but when I upgraded versions things got really jacked up.

I'm really liking mambo does anyone have any experience with CSM mainly mambo?

Catalyst22
Elite Member

Postby Catalyst22 » Jun 9th, 2006 at 11:23 pm

ElvisG wrote:Cool thanks everybody but I also have one more question. I installed Drupal but I really didn't care for it because it didn't really have a large support following. I have used geeklog and really liked it but when I upgraded versions things got really jacked up.

I'm really liking mambo does anyone have any experience with CSM mainly mambo?

Mambo is dead. Get Joomla. I run joomla on my site (still a work in progress) www.tulsalan.com. I also run my jobs intranet website on Joomla and a couple other sites I have built for friends/family. Its the easiest to use, biggest fan base, and far more secure than any flavor of nuke. If you want to be leet then learn python and get into Plone/Zope. Its what NASA uses and its secure as can be and supposedly very easy if you have some programming experience.

The quickest and easiest way to setup a simple home web hosting system is to run a WAMP setup (windows, apache, mysql, and PHP). Get www.apache2triad.com and install it. Once installed you can easily install any cms you want, it also has a good support base. I run it on my work intranet site and have had good luck with it.
“When you have the facts on your side, argue the facts. When you have the law on your side, argue the law. When neither is on your side, change the subject and question the motives of the opposition.â€

Return to “*nix”