SuSE 9 Ent

Unix/Linux users rejoice! This forum is just for you.

Moderators: EatMoreLead, Suck.

Catalyst22
Elite Member

SuSE 9 Ent

Postby Catalyst22 » Apr 8th, 2005 at 12:16 am

Anyone know how to get a working hostname configured for SuSE 9 Ent?

I am working with the fine people at cPanel and they are tards. The Novell people won't talk to me until I purchase their software and I'm not buying SuSE until I know it works without bugs with cPanel...arg.

I have a static IP, configured with network working, wget installed and the minimal system package. I wget the files and when I go to install cPanel using the autoinstaller script I get an error that says "Improper Host Name" "Hostname must be a FQDN". My ISP is pointing my domain name to my servers as well as my hostname.domainname.tld. I can pint by hostname and domain.tld and everything resolves just fine. I think I'm going to comence the cPanel install and see what happens when I have it all done. Perhaps the fine people at cPanel are just idiots with their hostname detection system prior to install.

If you do not have the answer to that, then here is another one.

I installed RedHat and luckily for me I have never had to install a driver that was not in an RPM. The 1u SuperMicro server I just got for my webserver is useing a Broadcom 10/100/1000 dual onboard NIC's. The crappy drivers they gave me are in a tar.gz so I uncompressed them put them on the server and attempted to "make" the driver from root. I get errors telling access denied. This is a clean new install of RedHat 3 Ent. I am log'd in as root on the physical box. I have never had to "make" a driver on a linux box. The readme for the drivers is horrible so I'm stuck. I'm about to just buy a Intel Pro 10/100/1000 and put it in there and give up.

Everything I have read says that I should be able to use the Broadcom .tg3 driver that comes with redhat but the POS will not install.

I'm tired of seeing #ifconfig 127.0.0.1 so any help will be appreciated.
“When you have the facts on your side, argue the facts. When you have the law on your side, argue the law. When neither is on your side, change the subject and question the motives of the opposition.â€

Nad

Postby Nad » Apr 8th, 2005 at 12:22 am

Dude, i think it is quite obvious that noone uses this board, likely because noone here uses linux/unix, you will have TONS more luck anywhere else. Hell ask a neighbor, probably more likely to get an answer from him :D
Hardfought Forum/Game Server Admin and all around board troll

Catalyst22
Elite Member

Postby Catalyst22 » Apr 8th, 2005 at 12:59 am

lol, well I know enough to build Linux servers. nstall games/config the built in firewall to a decent level, config Apache, MySQL, and php, and do enough cmd line stuff to keep it running. There is still a hell of alot I have not done. I don't use the kde or gnome interface on my servers so I'm having to do everything by console and it is a pain.

I don't think there is any better way to truely understand a computer than to install Gentoo. I just installed this on a P2 350 with 128Mb of RAM and it runs like a top. The help files are amazing, but cPanel is not supported :(.

Anyone interested in getting into Linux should check out gentoo and put it on an old box somewhere and setup your own ftp server for fun. You could even install webmin and setup a decent LAMP hosting platform using DynDNS.

If I can help anyone out I will. I'm no guru by any stretch of the imagination, but I could prob get a Nix noob going.
“When you have the facts on your side, argue the facts. When you have the law on your side, argue the law. When neither is on your side, change the subject and question the motives of the opposition.â€

Deleted User
*poof*

Postby Deleted User » Apr 8th, 2005 at 3:06 pm

ever figure this out?

Is it a problem with your machine's hostname (type "hostname" into the shell)? If so, that's usually controlled by the file "/etc/HOSTNAME" which simply holds one line of text which is "hostname.domain". I think SuSE auto-generates this file each time you boot, though (can't remember for sure) so you might need to use "YaST2" to set it up (most of the config stuff for SuSE is controlled by YaST2). Can just build the file by hand and see if that fixes the cPanel RPM installation.

The issue might be with reverse DNS or your hosts file as well (might want to manually put in an entry for your machine into your hosts file, it'll probably be overwritten next time you boot, but might fix the strange install problem).

Catalyst22
Elite Member

Postby Catalyst22 » Apr 8th, 2005 at 6:10 pm

Billy,

I originally set it up in Suse using Yast.

Hostname card100
Domainname cardcl.org

If I type hostname it gives me the hostname of card100
If I type hostname -f it gives me the fqdn of card100.cardcl.org

so for all intents and purposes it appears to be correct.

My hosting company setup my external IP to resolve to my domain name and my hostname.domainname.tld

I just got off the phone with Novell and they said I needed to patch everything and try again. Since I was just beta testing the software I didn't think I should waste time patching... guess I was wrong. I'm working on getting it up to date and then I'll post what I find out.

I think it is something to do with my ISP's method of DNS and cPanel's method for resolving the Domain name personally. It could be that cPanel attempts to resolve against their DNS servers rather than my ISP's. Since the names have not propogated yet that is likely either the issue or part of the issue.

If that is not it, then I think cPanel doesn't like Suse's file method for the hostname and domain name.

Stored in the hosts file and the dnsdomain file. I think mandrake uses the HOSTNAME file, but Suse doesn't (can't remember). I tried to create this file on my server and configure the system to read it by typeing: hostname HOSTNAME (with the file switch that I don't remember now). This worked, but didn't write permanently. So after reboot I was back in the same boat as before.

I can get it to change to the cPanel accepted fqnd hostname by typeing #hostname card100.cardcl.org. It will allow me to install with no errors. After I have done this, I can type #hostname and get a return of card100.cardcl.org. I can then install cPanel with no errors... but... when I reboot it drops this config arggggg....

Deleted User
*poof*

Postby Deleted User » Apr 12th, 2005 at 2:34 pm

Quick question: Is there a reason that you are wanting to run SUSE? :)
I've been deleted!!

Catalyst22
Elite Member

Postby Catalyst22 » Apr 12th, 2005 at 3:12 pm

I had always ran Redhat before, but there is a considerable cost difference between Suse and Redhat for my enterprise. I want support and neither Redhat nor Suse has that great of support. I have tested both. My company lacks the funding to go all out on a quality support package, and if we were going to do that we would just outsource the server management anyway. I got frustrated with Suse and went ahead and installed Redhat only to find out that it lackes Broadcom NIC drivers argggggg. I have tried installing them, but I have 0 experience doing this so I got frustrated again and am now back to Suse.

So I get ahold of the Suse sales rep who shuffles me thru to support so that support can tell me to send them an email with teh problem request....

My initial problem was the hostname issue. I was told to install all the Suse patches and so forth. I did this.... However the fucktards have a kernel security patch (patch 9965 that totally horked my SATA drivers) so now after spending 45 min updateing I get the error "no root device found". I researched this on the interweb and found a host of missinformation. I am uninstalling the last patch now to see what happens.

Honestly, I love linux once its installed and running, but this is becoming a huge drain on my work time. I'm tempted to drop Win2k3 on this box and call it a day... but I have no fucking experience with windows web servers. Apache, MySQL, PHP and the stuff that makes up a Linux web server is my experience.

I could always pay to have Linux installed and save myself some time, but I want to do this myself. Seems like any time I'm about to learn something I have to quit learning and make some fucked up shortcut to get things going. Never get a chance to actually sit down and see something thru to completion. I'm not bitter about it at all :twisted:

Deleted User
*poof*

Postby Deleted User » Apr 12th, 2005 at 4:38 pm

hehe... well, first of all I've found that a good mailing list and having friends will get you a whole lot more QUALITY support than redhat, suse, etc. can provide. I've run quite a few different distros over time, but the one that I keep coming back to for all my enterprise grade needs is actually Tao linux. It's a well done and well supported RHEL clone, and Mooch (Tao 1u4) is what I'm running all over the place. Stable as heck, still supported patch-wise (unlike RH9) and it seems that a lot of time they can get patches out that RH stalls on. Ones that work.

This box that you are having a 'hostname' issues on, what exactly is the problem? From above, it looks like the box's IP address is localhost, and that can be changed through ifcfg, X, or any other of your favorite methods (including just changing all the files with vi [or nano].

If it requires a FQDN, give it one. If you're forwarding stuff to it through a firewall, give it the Internet hostname for the box. Even if it doesnt do DNS itself it will still see internally that host.domain.com is actually itself and just route the traffic over loopback. (Saving net bandwidth). If you've already done this and it stull doesnt work, see what your app is trying to resolve. strace will *definetely* do it, but youd have to sort through all the output.
I've been deleted!!

Catalyst22
Elite Member

Postby Catalyst22 » Apr 12th, 2005 at 5:09 pm

I'm pretty sure I have the hostname and domain name setup correctly. If I type hostname I get "card100" if I type hostname -f I get "card100.cardcl.org"

So I really think the problem isn't Suse, I'm fairly certain its something to do with the cPanel installer. I have read how to set this up via editing the files and useing Yast and everything I have read shows that I have set it up correctly.

I really don't know what is up.

I'm not sure what I wrote earlier that would give the impression that I am useing localhost? Can you quote the line so I can see what you are talking about? I'm afraid that I may be missing something, and don't know what it is.

I appreciate all the help guys :)

If you wanna SSH into my box I can give you the info ;) Would like to get someones take on this by having them see what I am seeing.

Return to “*nix”