Fedor 13 on VirtualBox not booting

Unix/Linux users rejoice! This forum is just for you.

Moderators: EatMoreLead, Suck.

Best_predator
Banished to Siberia

Fedor 13 on VirtualBox not booting

Postby Best_predator » Aug 25th, 2010 at 8:40 pm

The problem was low resolution.
I found online that supposed solution is to create a xorg.conf file.
I did so and now the OS not booting at all.
I can't seem to find a way to delete that file now. Or get access to it since the system is not booting.

Any ideas?
Sneaky bastard...
"Knowing is not enough; we must apply. Willing is not enough; we must do." ~ Goethe

JayPhat
Elite Member

Re: Fedor 13 on VirtualBox not booting

Postby JayPhat » Aug 28th, 2010 at 1:36 pm

i no nothing bout linix, but my guess would be yank drive, add to another machine and remove from there.

KillerClown

Postby KillerClown » Aug 28th, 2010 at 1:45 pm

Why not boot in vesa mode, bypassing xorg....basically just boot without using the xorg driver (you can set it to vesa in the boot line when booting), then go in and delete the file and restart?

Edit: I assume you meant Fedora 13. :P
"Truth is treason in the empire of lies." - Ron Paul

KillerClown

Postby KillerClown » Aug 28th, 2010 at 2:16 pm

Really there are a lot of questions I could ask, but the most basic questions I need to know are:
  • Did you enable 3D Acceleration in the VirtualBox settings?
  • Have you actually booted into the OS at all?
  • If so, did you enable 3rd Party Device drivers?

Setting up and enabling the full graphics always seemed to be a bit of a process. I've used a few different virtual machine applications like VMWare Workstation, Sun VirtualBox, and Microsoft Virtual PC, and a huge array of Linux OS's in each of those (thanks to DistroWatch). And many of those OS's I've run on my computer (including as a 2nd, 3rd, 4th, or even up to 5th OS). There are some of those that I could never get to boot at all, though Fedora, from memory, was always an easier one to get going. Including those that, as soon as I completed the process to setup Xorg, quit booting altogether, or would not pass the BASH prompt. This not even counting ensuring you have "Hardware/BIOS" settings all correctly setup for a Linux OS.

As far as I recall, after you install Fedora, and boot into the OS, you enable the 3rd party device driver, then enable/setup Xorg using an installer or program of some sort (should be in the OS menu somewhere), if you created an xorg.conf file (which I think you can also do) you need to ensure it's done correctly to your hardware, I have never personally created an xorg.conf, I've always used the built-in program that automatically creates that file. You may also have a bootline parameter you need to add, whether it be once or every time, or some other situation.
"Truth is treason in the empire of lies." - Ron Paul

Best_predator
Banished to Siberia

Postby Best_predator » Aug 30th, 2010 at 1:15 am

Yea, I'm installing it on Laptop with integrated graphics card. This creates another pickle for setting up xorg correctly. I'll try booting in Vesa mode.

I'm new to Linux. Gota expand my OS knowledge base. I've worked with commands and all but never really delved into it.
Sneaky bastard...
"Knowing is not enough; we must apply. Willing is not enough; we must do." ~ Goethe

Return to “*nix”