Windows 7

Anything created by Bill Gates falls under this category. Having problems with your windows operating system? Here ya go.

Moderators: EatMoreLead, Suck.

Phoenix
Elite Member

Windows 7

Postby Phoenix » Jan 10th, 2009 at 11:00 pm

Anyone else gonna take the plunge with me and beta test it? So far so good, the storys of 30 min installs are lies as far as I can tell, and my boot time does seem to be up a bit, but my overall first impression is good.
Former HF clan member, server admin, all around troll

"You don't do things right once-in-a-while. You do them right all the time."- Vince Lombardi

JayPhat
Elite Member

Postby JayPhat » Jan 10th, 2009 at 11:44 pm

I have a friend in the PC business who has assured me from a few people he knew doing the non-public beta that Windows 7 is not too much more than Vista without the name Vista. Apparently people still think Vista is shit. I don't know these people but I'm sure they will be the ones to buy 7.

K2
Administrator

Postby K2 » Jan 11th, 2009 at 6:53 am

I've been using vista ultimate since day one, and I haven't had any major issues with it... no more than XP.

I'm looking forward to playing with W7 when I make it back to civilization.

Phoenix
Elite Member

Postby Phoenix » Jan 11th, 2009 at 1:49 pm

Yeah so far its Vista with a few tweeks, such as search features and IE8 as base IE. All drivers are Vista so not surprisingly it works much like Vista.
Former HF clan member, server admin, all around troll

"You don't do things right once-in-a-while. You do them right all the time."- Vince Lombardi

Suck.
Benefactor

Postby Suck. » Jan 24th, 2009 at 1:49 pm

I believe that today is the last day to install and activate your copy of the Windows 7 beta. (Or maybe it's just the last day to download it, not certain.) For anyone still interested:
http://www.microsoft.com/windows/window ... nload.aspx

-Grant.

Brian

Postby Brian » Jan 24th, 2009 at 7:43 pm

I downloaded and installed it today and the only problem I've had so far is getting the resolution to work correctly. Any time I set it to 1600x1200, it looks like it magnifies things instead of making them smaller to fit the screen, so I lose the taskbar and maybe a 1/6th of the screen overall.

sX
Elite Member

Postby sX » Jan 24th, 2009 at 7:59 pm

(o )^( o) Tetas.

Phoenix
Elite Member

Re: Windows 7

Postby Phoenix » Apr 7th, 2009 at 7:46 pm

So question for any of you using 7, I have a soundblaster2 and have this random static bug, I've seen that some people were able to fix it by changing the output device, but for me all that does is completely turn off the sound. Any ideas?

K2
Administrator

Postby K2 » Apr 7th, 2009 at 8:27 pm

I have a realtek sound processor on my laptop - havent heard any kind of static under W7. I DID using Vista tho.

Phoenix
Elite Member

Postby Phoenix » May 3rd, 2009 at 7:51 pm

The RC for 7 comes out for download on Tuesday. Anyone who has the current beta will have to reinstall from scratch which sucks nuts but Vista users will be able to just upgrade (also once the final retail is released you will have do do this yet again). It will be downloadable till June 30 with no other restrictions on the number of keys or downloads.

So anyone else who hasn't tried it out going to give it a shot now? Also those of you using 7 are you going to take the time to upgrade? For me its been 3 months so its about time for a format anyway. I am really hoping it fixes the one real bug that I keep running into which is static sound in ventrillo due to a driver issue.

K2
Administrator

Postby K2 » May 3rd, 2009 at 10:28 pm

Been using the RC build (7100) for about a week now. Daddy like.

SinneD

Postby SinneD » May 4th, 2009 at 6:39 pm

I've been using Build 7077 for a few weeks now, havnt had the chance to install RC1 yet. So far I am very happy with windows 7. havnt run into anything big bugs yet other than the soundblaster static issues, which is and easy fix. Just go to control panel, sound options, and change the speaker output to say 4.1 or whatever, hit test, then switch back to whatever you had it on.

Im a fan of the dock bar and have mine filled with all apps i frequent.

Performance if windows 7 has been great, of what little gaming i have done fps has been great on my system.
startup times fast, and memory usage has been low.

will definatly be getting this upon release

Return to “win32/64”