Move/Copy/Delete bug with Vista

Anything created by Bill Gates falls under this category. Having problems with your windows operating system? Here ya go.

Moderators: EatMoreLead, Suck.

K2
Administrator

Move/Copy/Delete bug with Vista

Postby K2 » May 18th, 2007 at 8:05 pm

I've been pro-Vista since its debut, and I still am. However, when I finally found time to re-implement my automated backup regime, which involved making copies of a rather large amount of files, I noticed that it took an extrodinarily long time to do so, or the OS would just stall altogether. And when I say a long time, I'm talking several hours vs. just a few minutes previously (win xp). So I did a lil digging, and discovered that this is actually a major issue. There's an on-going discussion about it on the MS Technet forums. Winbeta.org also did a news piece about it - http://www.winbeta.org/comments.php?sho ... 13&catid=1

MS says it's a priority issue, and they are working on a fix... but as you can read from the article, it may not be a bug so much as the embedded DRM security code doing its thing. I really like Vista, but from this alone, I am seriously considering going back to XP until MS can resolve this issue.

Thoughts?

JayPhat
Elite Member

Postby JayPhat » May 18th, 2007 at 10:11 pm

I have a few friends who are dealing with hardware/software issues related to Vista. Aside from more stability, they are saying they have gotten more problems than positives with ALOT of things. Drivers are hard to come by for most things. Several games continuously crash. I myself am finding it very hard to convinvce myself Vista is worth spending the money on right now.

Jeng
Elite Member

Postby Jeng » May 18th, 2007 at 11:08 pm

My friend that I installed Vista on his computer, he's wanting me to take it off also and put in xp or xp64. Games crash along with sound issues. Also get a ton of calls at the dsl job where Vista just plain and simple will not hook up to the net for absolutely no reason at all.

Vista is really starting to look like windows ME 2.0, I would not be surprised at all if MS puts out a new OS in 2 years without all the bullshit.
I really need to change this sig

Phoenix
Elite Member

Postby Phoenix » May 18th, 2007 at 11:45 pm

Stick with normal XP. XP 64 is short on drivers and in a lot of cases is unable to run 32bit programs via emulation. I regret going to this version. Stay away!
Former HF clan member, server admin, all around troll

"You don't do things right once-in-a-while. You do them right all the time."- Vince Lombardi

K2
Administrator

Postby K2 » May 19th, 2007 at 3:23 am

As far as games go, I have had ZERO issues wih any of the games that I play. The only drivers I havent been able to find are for EAX with my sound card (those wont be forthcoming for awhile). Hrm.

Return to “win32/64”