Virtual OS

Anything created by Bill Gates falls under this category. Having problems with your windows operating system? Here ya go.

Moderators: EatMoreLead, Suck.

KillerClown

Virtual OS

Postby KillerClown » May 4th, 2007 at 2:13 pm

I've only seen 1 time this was ever mentioned through the forums..

An absolute neccesity for anyone who likes to toy around with other OS's without having to reformat their machine over and over...

Program called VMWare Workstation is GOLD.

I've been using this program for the last year or so everytime I want to test out a new or updated OS.

Latest Ubuntu version 7.04 being installed on this Virtual Machine atm, don't ask about the other OS on there. :P

Right now you can download and install the lastest VMWare Workstation FREE because it's a beta, look for 'VMWare WS 6' most of it is pretty easy to understand and it will guide you through most of the setups you needs to do. It will even allow you to run OS's that aren't designed to run on your machine, some...
I would also recommend using Daemon Tools and mounting the ISO images for your OS's, makes the whole thing go a lot faster.
"Truth is treason in the empire of lies." - Ron Paul

Catharsys

Postby Catharsys » May 8th, 2007 at 3:27 am

doesn't microsoft have a VM also?

KillerClown

Postby KillerClown » May 9th, 2007 at 12:39 am

Microsoft Virtual Machine is an old form of JavaVM, completely different than the software I'm talking about.

Now you may be able to setup/run something like that within VB (Visual Basic) or VS (Visual Studio) but I really wouldn't have any idea about either of those.

Catharsys

Postby Catharsys » May 13th, 2007 at 3:02 am

http://www.microsoft.com/windows/produc ... fault.mspx was what i was talking about. was reading about a new way of doing slipstreams and maximum pc showed this as a way to test the updated windows iso

KillerClown

Postby KillerClown » May 13th, 2007 at 3:03 pm

From what I'm getting MS Virtual PC only supports MS OS's. VMW WS supports just about any OS you could find, or want to try anyway.

I can't even get anything running in this thing yet, keeps sitting on DHCP...
Definitely is a hugely different program than VMW.

Finally got past DHCP but I'm not fully understanding how to run this the way I want to, can't get an OS to boot yet...

I'm actually not going any farther with this program, as VMW WS does all the same things and more, more easily than this program.

Return to “win32/64”