My opinion after installing and buying vista

Anything created by Bill Gates falls under this category. Having problems with your windows operating system? Here ya go.

Moderators: EatMoreLead, Suck.

Oreo
l33t scr1pt0r

My opinion after installing and buying vista

Postby Oreo » Feb 6th, 2007 at 12:36 am

After buying the full version of vista instead of the upgrade and installing everything I have a few things that I want to share from a general user/gamer standpoint.

My games run smoother:
-level changes in guild wars are quicker
-tabbing out from games and tabbing back in is faster and doesn't result in image quality loss (unique problem for me on XP)
-frames are the same as in XP if not better (bf2, guild wars)
-3dmark06 score was ~150 points less in same situation, only change being xp and vista. (~150 points less in Vista, oh well, not a big loss, 6114 instead of 6275)
-games load faster

Windows boot speed is about the same. Ram usage while in Windows and everything open (2 IRC windows, the sidebar, winamp, windows live, sound drivers, video drivers, NOD32, internet explorer) ranges around 650-700MB or so. I haven't found this to be an overly large number because when I game the number only goes up 150-300mb, when it used to go up +500 - +1000.

Windows Aero is very cool. The color and transparency is customizable and there is no lag effect whatsoever. Everything that is involved with Aero is streamlined and runs well. I like the look and feel of this design.

Windows update is very quick and on the computer instead of related to a website. I found this to be much quicker and more convenient.

Searches are everywhere you can think of. I have a search bar in my start menu and it even works. I put in Paint and found mspaint when I couldn't find it in any of the menus. This was quicker and more effecient than searching the menu. The style of the start menu is retarded though.

Most of my programs work in vista without issues. The only problem I found so far is that AIM6 won't work on it. That's just what I have read though, in all honesty I haven't actually tried installing it or using it yet. Wasn't really a top priority.

Internet explorer seems to crash whenever I update something. After installing flash player, instead of saying I needed to restart IE for the changes to take place, it would just crash and restart itself after you clicked on a link. Same thing happened after installing java. Not a huge deal because the time from crash, crash report, and reload was about 2 seconds. IE7 looks different in vista than it did on XP and I like the organization and look of it. Seems to be shaded and looks nicer.

Basically, I think it's new and it feels good, but in all honesty it's just different than xp, not better or worse. People bitching about horror stories or saying everything doesn't work is stupid and didn't research ahead of time before buying. I hardly use any peripherals but my dual monitors work and my webcam works, my video card works and is officially supported, my sound card works (but openAL is not supported yet).

I would suggest buying it if you like change and want something new and feels good and you have the money. If you were looking for a reason to buy it, I say go ahead it really is fun. If you are a person who isn't sure if they should get it or not, is fine with what they have in XP, or doesn't have new hardware I would suggest waiting for a while or upgrading your computer before you take the step.

Is it worth the money? At full retail non upgrade price of $220 for Home Premium which I bought, no it wasn't. For $100 or so? Sure, that would be a decent and fair price for this. Would I buy it with a new computer? Yes.

It's good and it will just get better. If you have no reason to upgrade to it, don't. If you want to, do it.

That's about all the advice I can give from my perspective.

My greatest complaint is the UAC. The administrative rights access basically. Even if you create a user account with administrator rights, you have to approve every damn thing you want to do. Every time you install a program, everytime you delete a file, every time you change shortcut parameters, you have to say yes to two confirmation windows. This is one of the most annoying things I have ever encountered in an OS and I found out how to disable it but that removes a huge amount of protection. It's an all or nothing thing right now I guess. I have to confirm opening 3dmark06 every time I open it for example.

K2
Administrator

Postby K2 » Feb 6th, 2007 at 6:30 am

The UAC isnt that bad... you can get used to having to do an extra click here and there. But yeah, hopefully MS will make it so the OS will 'learn' trusted apps, so you can set them as trusted and not have to go thru the approval routine every single time.

Only issue I have been having really, is admin-level status on certain apps, and windows defender intervining on apps like alcohol 120% and NOD32. IMO, if you're running nod32 or a similiar app, you dont need windows defender running (I just disabled it).

Lil bit of a learning curve, but I guess that's part of the price we pay to keep ppl honest.

Miracl3

Postby Miracl3 » Feb 6th, 2007 at 7:13 am

u guys plz tell me if my pc will run Vista good...heres my specs:

Manufacturer:
INTELR
Processor:
Intel(R) Pentium(R) 4 CPU 3.00GHz
Memory:
2048MB RAM
Hard Drive:
164 GB Total
Video Card:
NVIDIA GeForce 6800
Monitor:
SyncMaster 930B(Digital)
Sound Card:
Realtek AC97 Audio

Mouse:
logitech G5
Mouse Surface:
4d steelpad

K2
Administrator

Postby K2 » Feb 6th, 2007 at 11:11 am

Yup.

JayPhat
Elite Member

Postby JayPhat » Feb 6th, 2007 at 12:05 pm

K2 wrote:Yup.

Theres that in-depth technical response we were all waiting for.

sohpriest

Postby sohpriest » Feb 7th, 2007 at 8:43 pm

I was hoping for a hell yup
"I am Jack's smirking revenge."

Maverick
Elite Member

Postby Maverick » Feb 7th, 2007 at 8:54 pm

Miracl3 wrote:u guys plz tell me if my pc will run Vista good...heres my specs:

Manufacturer:
INTELR
Processor:
Intel(R) Pentium(R) 4 CPU 3.00GHz
Memory:
2048MB RAM
Hard Drive:
164 GB Total
Video Card:
NVIDIA GeForce 6800
Monitor:
SyncMaster 930B(Digital)
Sound Card:
Realtek AC97 Audio

Mouse:
logitech G5
Mouse Surface:
4d steelpad

That mouse surface will make your PC incompatible with Vista. :P
"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing..."
-Edmund Burke

Oreo
l33t scr1pt0r

Postby Oreo » Feb 9th, 2007 at 2:07 am

Just would like to add a bug that annoys me enough to post on.

Even tried reinstalling Vista to see if that would fix it, but it didn't.

It appears that Catalyst Control Center (CCC) and my video drivers will decide to load sometimes and sometimes not when I start my computer.

No matter how many different tricks or techniques I tried, this appears to be random. Sometimes when I boot up my computer, I will have an ATI tray icon and I can load up CCC and all my video games look great. Sometimes, there won't be an icon, I can't open CCC (CLI.exe opens then closes, without opening any program), and all my games have very low mipmap quality.

Pretty shitty bug and it appears to happen to more than just me. Perhaps Catalyst 7.2 will fix this issue, we will see. Very annoying bug though.

K2
Administrator

Postby K2 » Feb 9th, 2007 at 8:01 am

Yup, the joys of using a brand new OS from day one. The pro's outweigh the con's in my opinion tho.

One thing I forgot to do when installing Vista, was to install the chipset drivers for the mainboard. Doh. Vista has 'em, but the ones from Intel were newer - increased my performance by about 15-20%.

Catharsys

Postby Catharsys » Feb 10th, 2007 at 3:03 am

i would get a student (if they are out yet) edition but my comp is 5 years old.

Oreo
l33t scr1pt0r

Postby Oreo » Feb 11th, 2007 at 2:58 am

Another thing to add is that I'm having serious file sharing issues between my XP computer and this vista computer. I could share before upgrading to Vista, and now I can't share anymore. I can see the other computer, but can't ping it or connect to it. The XP computer can't see the vista computer even though file sharing is on and I've tried about 15 different things suggested on the microsoft forums. Go figure, a lot of other people are having the same problems too.

Phoenix
Elite Member

Postby Phoenix » Feb 11th, 2007 at 4:00 pm

Oreo wrote:Another thing to add is that I'm having serious file sharing issues between my XP computer and this vista computer. I could share before upgrading to Vista, and now I can't share anymore. I can see the other computer, but can't ping it or connect to it. The XP computer can't see the vista computer even though file sharing is on and I've tried about 15 different things suggested on the microsoft forums. Go figure, a lot of other people are having the same problems too.

Thank god its not just me then. I figured there was some odd thing I was just missing out on, my parents are not all that happy that they have to manually mail the file to the other comp to print stuff right now.
Former HF clan member, server admin, all around troll

"You don't do things right once-in-a-while. You do them right all the time."- Vince Lombardi

Jeng
Elite Member

Postby Jeng » Feb 11th, 2007 at 11:38 pm

Having some fun calls from new Dell customers trying to set up their vista computers tonight. Unfortunately we don't have much in the way of Vista support materials set up yet, not Microsofts problem but ours of course. Also looks like the manufacturer of our modems haven't been including Vista drivers for the USB option. Other wise the problems haven't been too bad.

Unrelated note, I had two callers tonight who's IE's starting locking up after a recent IE update.
I really need to change this sig

K2
Administrator

Postby K2 » Feb 12th, 2007 at 7:00 am

jeng, I didnt know you worked for Dell support... how'd I miss that?

Anyways, check out this thread - http://www.dellcommunity.com/supportfor ... 0969#M4639

I have the Soundblaster Audigy Advanced MB option for my XPS M1710; according to this thread and a similiar one on Creative's side, it's up to Dell to make a Vista version of this software wrapper. Got any intel on when this is gonna happen?

Jeng
Elite Member

Postby Jeng » Feb 12th, 2007 at 7:17 am

K2 wrote:jeng, I didnt know you worked for Dell support... how'd I miss that?

Naw, working DSL tech support, just started in December, part time. So having to help people hook up their computers up to the internet.

K2
Administrator

Postby K2 » Feb 12th, 2007 at 7:41 am

Oh.

On an unrelated note, here's pic of my Vista desktop - http://www.hardfought.org/phpBB2/album_ ... ic_id=1739 - notice all the cool gadgets I got :P Finally found a decent iTunes gadget, and a pretty slick cpu/memory read out that's in real-time. Now all I need is a gadget for Trillian (one is coming) and I'm all set.

Miracl3

Postby Miracl3 » Feb 12th, 2007 at 9:27 am

Jeng wrote:

Naw, working DSL tech support, just started in December, part time. So having to help people hook up their computers up to the internet.

rofl I worked for a place called Calltech awhile back. Have you gotten any hard of hearing 80 yr olds yet? I used to get hose kinda calls only when i was being monitored. Never an easy call for monitorings :( lol Had to get one elderly lady to disconnect all the bells n lights from her phone line. Took her 3 hrs just to do that lol.

Miracl3

Postby Miracl3 » Feb 12th, 2007 at 9:29 am

K2 wrote:Oh.

On an unrelated note, here's pic of my Vista desktop - http://www.hardfought.org/phpBB2/album_ ... ic_id=1739 - notice all the cool gadgets I got :P Finally found a decent iTunes gadget, and a pretty slick cpu/memory read out that's in real-time. Now all I need is a gadget for Trillian (one is coming) and I'm all set.

FORT BENNING PWNS KEITH!!!!!! k just had to say that. i could piss from my house and make keith think its raining im so close to benning lol

K2
Administrator

Postby K2 » Feb 12th, 2007 at 11:36 am

Just found out Friday that I got approved for airborne school, so I am gonna be here an extra 5 wks.

Oreo
l33t scr1pt0r

Postby Oreo » Feb 12th, 2007 at 4:21 pm

Had my 3rd reinstall of Vista tonight. Seems I created myself a neverending loop with my Documents folder.

I thought changing my Documents folder location worked the same way that it did in XP, where if you changed the Documents folder to D:\, it would create all the extra folders inside of the D:\ drive like My Pictures, my Videos, and save your saved games and stuff inside their own folders such as D:\battlefield 2\.

In vista, you have to individually set the directory for each folder. So, if you wanted to move c:\users\Erik\Documents to your D:\ drive, a recommended directory would be D:\users\Erik\Documents. Not just D:\users\Erik.

You have to then individually set each folder to a new directory on the other drive.

I didn't do this and caused a neverending loop inside of itself. Documents thought it was the primary folder and that the D:\ drive was inside of it. When I opened the D:\ drive it was lower on the Tree and I couldn't see the Documents folder.

This played hell on me when I tried to edit the folder, because there was no option anywhere to move it back because as far as Windows was concerned, it no longer existed. The loop was so fucked up that Documents was D:\ and D:\ was documents. Documents\D:\Documents\D:\Documents, to the end where one just did not exist.

This confused Guild Wars so bad that when it tried to save a template it ended up creating triple empty folders on the desktop, putting the template there, and you couldn't delete/rename/load or do anything to the folder or files because they didn't exist.

Nice little bug there I had fun messing around with and eventually had to reformat and reinstall from scratch again.

While using the correct method I found another bug. If my Favorites folder is located on my D:\ drive, then IE7 won't save favorites to it. Gives me an error when I try to create a favorite because the default favorite location isn't where it thinks it should be. I moved the Favorites folder back to the default location on the C:\ drive (with the Location menu in properties, like I did the first time), and now the links work again.

For those that said Vista is beta, they were right. I don't mind beta testing at all so this isn't that big of a deal for me, but if you are a regular user and don't want to mess with minor problems like this which can cause you to do a clean reinstall to fix, then this isn't the right OS yet for you.

K2
Administrator

Postby K2 » Feb 12th, 2007 at 5:02 pm

Speaking from experience, it's usually best to leave all OS-related files and directories on the same partition that the OS is installed on anyways, even if it is easier to do it on XP or 2000, etc.

I've encountered a few hiccups and bugs here and there, but no show-stoppers. If you search enough online, you can find vista tweak sites that have some pretty useful info.

Jeng
Elite Member

Postby Jeng » Feb 12th, 2007 at 11:29 pm

Miracl3 wrote:
Jeng wrote:

rofl I worked for a place called Calltech awhile back. Have you gotten any hard of hearing 80 yr olds yet? I used to get hose kinda calls only when i was being monitored. Never an easy call for monitorings :( lol Had to get one elderly lady to disconnect all the bells n lights from her phone line. Took her 3 hrs just to do that lol.

Naw, had a pretty fun Drunk off His Ass 70 year old with the username Nasty. Was a 3 beer call, never got it resolved successfully, thinking norton never uninstalled completely and was still fucking with his email. Ended up directing him to the web based email and told him he'll have to use that till he can figure out whats wrong with his computer.

Return to “win32/64”