Upgrade version of vista, installation without XP

Anything created by Bill Gates falls under this category. Having problems with your windows operating system? Here ya go.

Moderators: EatMoreLead, Suck.

Oreo
l33t scr1pt0r

Upgrade version of vista, installation without XP

Postby Oreo » Feb 1st, 2007 at 4:27 pm

If you have the Upgrade versions of Vista you are supposed to do a full XP install, then install vista over the top.

Most of us dislike these types of dirty installs, instead prefering to do an install to a clean drive or partition.

Here is a workaround:

1. Boot with the Windows Vista Upgrade DVD.
2. Click "Install Now."
3. Do not enter a Product Key When prompted.
4. When prompted, select the Vista product edition that you do have.
6. Install Vista normally.
7. Once the install is complete, restart the DVD-based Setup from
within Windows Vista. Perform an in-place upgrade.
8. Enter your Product Key when prompted.

Original thread @ ocforums: http://www.ocforums.com/showthread.php?t=498314

Just thought I would share. It will probably be patched in a service pack (if they can), the only catch here is that you still have to install over another install. But with this way you don't have to bother with XP. It might be fun to note that you don't even need a different version of windows to install, you upgrade to vista from vista. This was originally posted in the microsoft forums.

K2
Administrator

Postby K2 » Feb 1st, 2007 at 5:57 pm

Yeah I saw that last night. It'll be just a matter of time before MS nixes that.

JayPhat
Elite Member

Postby JayPhat » Feb 2nd, 2007 at 10:28 am

K2 wrote:Yeah I saw that last night. It'll be just a matter of time before MS nixes that.

I'm telling you. Its a matter of time before windows becomes subscription based. I can see us having to pay a fee every month to use windows or risk having a computer not start.

K2
Administrator

Postby K2 » Feb 2nd, 2007 at 11:54 am

Um, no. MS isnt that stupid... you'd see a mass exodus to older MS operating systems and free open source OS's like (insert flavor of 'nix here).

JayPhat
Elite Member

Postby JayPhat » Feb 15th, 2007 at 8:15 pm

Has this workaround been defeated or no? I still have all 10 copies of ultimate at work.

Jeng
Elite Member

Postby Jeng » Feb 23rd, 2007 at 6:54 pm

JayPhat wrote:
K2 wrote:Yeah I saw that last night. It'll be just a matter of time before MS nixes that.

I'm telling you. Its a matter of time before windows becomes subscription based. I can see us having to pay a fee every month to use windows or risk having a computer not start.

http://arstechnica.com/news.ars/post/20070222-8907.html

http://slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=07/02/23/187221

"Microsoft has quietly rolled out a pay-as-you-go software system in a few countries (South Africa, Mexico, and Romania) to test out how the public reacts to software rentals. Part of the current service includes a ~$15 fee per month to use Office 2003. If the service goes over well, Microsoft is considering extending the program to include other software or other countries. From the article: 'Are we moving towards a rental model for software? Despite the success of programs like Software Assurance, and the FlexGo program, it doesn't seem as if the traditional model of software sales is ever going to go away. Consumers still like the option of buying complete software packages. However, for places where the price of software keeps obtaining legitimate versions out of most people's reach, a rental program may be a useful alternative.'"
I really need to change this sig

JayPhat
Elite Member

Postby JayPhat » Feb 23rd, 2007 at 7:36 pm

BTW, this workaround was mentioned in the newest version of PCGamer.

Return to “win32/64”