Vista Upgrade version - be aware

Anything created by Bill Gates falls under this category. Having problems with your windows operating system? Here ya go.

Moderators: EatMoreLead, Suck.

Campsalot

Vista Upgrade version - be aware

Postby Campsalot » Jan 29th, 2007 at 12:08 pm

Read this

For those of you that want to buy the Vista upgrade to throw on your Win XP box, you need to take note of that article. For those that don't want to read it (it is short and has pictures so there is really no excuse), the upgrade version can ONLY be installed over Windows XP. All previous upgrade versions of Windows would allow you to format and start from scratch, and would prompt you for you previous Windows version key in order for the upgrade to install. You can't do a clean install of Vista and use the XP key as proof of purchase for the upgrade.

That just plain sucks!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Camps

EatMoreLead
Benefactor

Postby EatMoreLead » Jan 29th, 2007 at 1:42 pm

wonder how soon until MS moves to an annual subscription model for their products? It would make life easier in many respects.
EatMoreLead aka EML

Jeng
Elite Member

Postby Jeng » Jan 29th, 2007 at 11:50 pm

EatMoreLead wrote:wonder how soon until MS moves to an annual subscription model for their products? It would make life easier in many respects.

Now that you mention that I'm rather surprised they didn't do it with this version, perhaps its because they knew that they are putting out absolute crap this time around. The OS that comes out in bout 3 years might though, much in how Windows XP took alot of what was in Windows ME and made it work.
I really need to change this sig

K2
Administrator

Postby K2 » Jan 30th, 2007 at 7:44 am

Windows ME was the worst OS microsoft ever sold.

me and Jayphat were talking about the upgrade version of Vista, and the way he was reading the box, it sounded like you could do a clean install with the upgrade version as long as it detected an older OS present. I tried talking him out of that, as installing a new OS on top of an older one is just all sorts of bad anyways. Myself, I'm picking up Vista Ultimate full version either today or tomorrow.

Looks like you took some thing for granted Camps, on how MS used to do OS upgrades. Sorry buddy :( Thx for the heads up tho, hopefully no one else here will get burned expecting one thing and getting something else.

Campsalot

Postby Campsalot » Jan 30th, 2007 at 9:38 am

Actually, it's less about me and more about the people I am around. I have never purchased or owned an "upgrade" version of any OS (MS has sent me full versions of their OS since I got the NT4 MCSE). However, I have lots of friends that want to capitalize on the upgrade offer to save $$ and I always end up helping them out by performing a clean install using their upgrade version. Looks like that's out of the question now.

Bastages!

Camps

Maverick
Elite Member

Postby Maverick » Jan 30th, 2007 at 9:52 am

Vista is just too damn expensive for me right now. I only want the Ultimate version.

Sure does look nice though.
"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing..."
-Edmund Burke

JayPhat
Elite Member

Postby JayPhat » Jan 30th, 2007 at 10:36 pm

K2 wrote: I tried talking him out of that

He didn't ahve to talk me out of anything. After going from a 95 upgrade to 98 I know the bitch that is the "upgrade wizard". he just likes to CLAIM he saved lives doing it.

Oreo
l33t scr1pt0r

Postby Oreo » Jan 31st, 2007 at 12:21 pm

I noticed this just before I bought it on another forum. That's why I went with the full version instead of the upgrade. Kinda sucks that it's $100 more for the same thing when I do own XP, but I prefer ease of use. I am pretty sure you can still do a clean install, but it requires you to install xp or 2000 first, then when you choose to use your upgrade to vista it asks you if you want to clean install or upgrade. To me, even if that were true, it's still too much of a hassel. The extra $100 to me for ease of use isn't a question of if it's worth it or not, it's required.

VxD

Postby VxD » Jan 31st, 2007 at 1:55 pm

FYI, vista is image based installation. Not the traditional method of copying files from CAB's. So even with the upgrade version, you will get a clean installation. It does suck that you have to install XP first though. Keep in mind that image based installation is quick anyway.

Best_predator
Banished to Siberia

Postby Best_predator » Jan 31st, 2007 at 5:06 pm

What a PoS OS.
Sneaky bastard...
"Knowing is not enough; we must apply. Willing is not enough; we must do." ~ Goethe

Return to “win32/64”