Vista - Reason to upgrade your PC?

Anything created by Bill Gates falls under this category. Having problems with your windows operating system? Here ya go.

Moderators: EatMoreLead, Suck.

JayPhat
Elite Member

Vista - Reason to upgrade your PC?

Postby JayPhat » Jan 9th, 2007 at 1:48 pm

So this week, we received our first shipment of Vista software. I ahve to say, even though I believe K2 pointed this out before, its software requirments are kind of daunting. Its required that the average home user have at least

1.2 Ghz Processor (if you don't already have this, you have no reason for Vista anyway)
512 MB of RAM
12 GB of free HDD space

The more affluent users like ourselves using the above basic version will need
1.4 Ghz processor
1 GB or RAM
15GB of free HDD space

It also recommends at least a 128 MB DX 10 compatible video card although not required.

How many people are going to have to upgrade their PC before they can install this? I myself won't other than I don't htink my GPU is DX10 compatible.

K2
Administrator

Postby K2 » Jan 9th, 2007 at 5:31 pm

The only DX10-compatible card out right now is nividia's 8800 series of cards. ATI is making one, the core is known as the 'R600' - its release was just delayed again recently, but word has it it's going to make nvidias 8800 series cards look silly...

As long as your vid card is DX9 compliant (most are if you've bought something new within the last 3-4 yrs), and have a CPU running at 2GHz or above, and have at least 1GB of ram, you can run Vista Ultimate just fine. Lesser systems will run it as well, but you may have to turn off some of the bells and whistles.

As with any new product that's in the spotlight, you're going to have mixed reviews... however, with Vista, and the large amount of people that beta tested it, and tried out the different release candidates, I tend to believe most of what I am reading about it, if the things said reappear in review after review. Given that, I'm inclined to purchase Vista Ultimate, and install it on my laptop. I've even read some reviews from hardcore MAC users who say they like Vista, and wish the current flavor of OS X had some of the features of Vista.

I'm going to purchase as soon as it's available to teh general public. I'll probably do my own review if I have the time.

Phoenix
Elite Member

Postby Phoenix » Jan 9th, 2007 at 5:31 pm

Just my GPU, but even then I'm not gonna do this for a while, all the security protection shit has turned me off. Add to that a HUGE price tag to just upgrade and fuck it.
Former HF clan member, server admin, all around troll

"You don't do things right once-in-a-while. You do them right all the time."- Vince Lombardi

K2
Administrator

Postby K2 » Jan 9th, 2007 at 5:33 pm

Most of the annoying security features (read: hardware driver verification, etc) is only found on the 64-bit versions of Vista from what I gather...

JayPhat
Elite Member

Postby JayPhat » Jan 9th, 2007 at 5:58 pm

K2 wrote:Most of the annoying security features (read: hardware driver verification, etc) is only found on the 64-bit versions of Vista from what I gather...

We're getting a limitied quantity of ultimate(haven't arrived yet) and once their gone, thats it.

K2
Administrator

Postby K2 » Jan 9th, 2007 at 6:24 pm

Jay, what date is Walmart putting Vista on the store shelves for sale to the public?

JayPhat
Elite Member

Postby JayPhat » Jan 9th, 2007 at 8:07 pm

K2 wrote:Jay, what date is Walmart putting Vista on the store shelves for sale to the public?

Uh, 30th if I remember right. Which, and I know no-one is gonna buy one, you woun't find too many computers on their shelves because the new ones have Vista pre-loaded and aren't for sale until then. Why?

K2
Administrator

Postby K2 » Jan 9th, 2007 at 8:47 pm

Why do you think? duh :P

You dont think anyone is gonna buy Vista? Heh guess again...

Phoenix
Elite Member

Postby Phoenix » Jan 9th, 2007 at 8:58 pm

K2 wrote:Most of the annoying security features (read: hardware driver verification, etc) is only found on the 64-bit versions of Vista from what I gather...

I got me a 64 bit processor and wouldn't use the 32 bit part so that will nail me.
Former HF clan member, server admin, all around troll

"You don't do things right once-in-a-while. You do them right all the time."- Vince Lombardi

Jeng
Elite Member

Postby Jeng » Jan 10th, 2007 at 12:08 am

I been wanting to upgrade to a Supported 64-bit OS for abit now, so now if I upgrade to Vista it would still be better for me to go for the 32-bit or what?
I really need to change this sig

Return to “win32/64”