Firefox, Internet Explorer, & Adobe Flash Plugin

Anything created by Bill Gates falls under this category. Having problems with your windows operating system? Here ya go.

Moderators: EatMoreLead, Suck.

KillerClown

Firefox, Internet Explorer, & Adobe Flash Plugin

Postby KillerClown » Dec 27th, 2006 at 2:20 pm

Does anyone else have major issues between these 3? Normally I can watch 1-2 videos (youtube for example) and get through about a third one in IE or FF before adobe crashes the shit out of either. I know for sure it's Adobe Flash causing because when IE crashes it's an adobe error.

Firefox itself has been a major pain the last 2 days, I can barely get it open before it's crashing..and I haven't changed anything about it, same addons/extensions, etc.

List of My Current Extensions:
"Truth is treason in the empire of lies." - Ron Paul

K2
Administrator

Postby K2 » Dec 27th, 2006 at 2:26 pm

Have you tried removing all those other plugins first, and see what happens then? It could be a conflict between one or more other plugins.

pyrox420
Elite Member

Postby pyrox420 » Dec 27th, 2006 at 2:40 pm

Or you can open up Firefox in safe mode (disables all plugins and themes) and see what happens then.
"You know what the chain of command is? It's the chain I go get and beat you with until you understand who's in ruttin' command here". - Jayne

KillerClown

Postby KillerClown » Dec 27th, 2006 at 3:12 pm

Same thing, Adobe crashes it every few vids..
Tried that a while back, and the little fact IE does the same crap...

On a side note: I just uninstalled Adobe Flash player from IE and went to youtube and reinstalled adobe..it seems like it may be fixed..doesn't help the FF end though, since the uninstall only removes it from IE...I really didn't test it too much after reinstalling just like 3 vids, but they all played without crashing. I'll work on reinstalling it on FF and see if it helps, but it will probably be a little bit later as I have a couple things I need to take care of, and then I'll be leaving soon after those.

Edit: Ok I take that back, just restarted IE again and visited youtube and just started a video and adobe crashed IE again. Weeee.

Mouser
Elite Member

Postby Mouser » Dec 27th, 2006 at 10:46 pm

Root-kit infection maybe? Think I read something about flash player or shockwave crashing a browser alot being the sign of infection. Iunno.

Jeng
Elite Member

Postby Jeng » Dec 27th, 2006 at 11:50 pm

http://www.microsoft.com/technet/sysint ... ealer.mspx

I've had no problems with crashes from playing video Youtube video's or nothin.

...........Hey, when did sysinternals site get transferred to microsoft.com?? I knew the operators of the site have started working for microsoft for kernel development, but I figured the site would at least be left alone.
I really need to change this sig

KillerClown

Postby KillerClown » Dec 28th, 2006 at 12:44 am

Mouser wrote:Root-kit infection maybe? Think I read something about flash player or shockwave crashing a browser alot being the sign of infection. Iunno.

Results of Scan:

Jeng wrote:...........Hey, when did sysinternals site get transferred to microsoft.com?? I knew the operators of the site have started working for microsoft for kernel development, but I figured the site would at least be left alone.

http://securityticker.blogspot.com/2006 ... rnals.html

This site says July, or so.

Tuesday, July 18, 2006
Microsoft Buys Sysinternals
Microsoft announced today that it has aquired Sysinternals and Winternals. If you go to Winternals.com, you can see it has already been changed to show Microsoft has taken over. Sysinternals is still the same, but it slow right now. This is the home site for Mark Russinovich, who discovered that SonyBMG was using a rootkit on some of it's music discs last year.

Mouser
Elite Member

Postby Mouser » Dec 30th, 2006 at 1:46 pm

Sorry KC, I'm not too computer savvy. I read about it...doesn't mean I know anything about it. So I have no idea what your scan results mean there. I was just throwing the idea out since I had remembered reading about it and had nothing else to contribute :oops:

KillerClown

Postby KillerClown » Dec 31st, 2006 at 1:51 am

haha :P

I don't even know what those results mean, not to mention, I ran the test again right after that one finished and it returned about 300 results of whatever sorts...and ran a third time just to be sure, only returned 1 result....it lost me. :D

Jeng
Elite Member

Postby Jeng » Dec 31st, 2006 at 10:12 am

The page you downloaded the rootkit revealer from should have complete instructions.

KillerClown

Postby KillerClown » Dec 31st, 2006 at 12:37 pm

I'm too lazy to read it. :|
I personally feel pretty "secure" as it is anyway. I run a Firewall, Windows Defender, and Spybot S&D, and I have yet to find any suspicious activity on my computer. Not that it can't happen, just hasn't yet, in over 6 months of this setup, so I'm pretty happy. I'm fairly sure that's not what's causing the crashes. Gotta be just a miscoordination with adobe and my video I think.

Jeng
Elite Member

Postby Jeng » Jan 1st, 2007 at 1:48 am

If you options>Hide NTFS Metadata Files that will take alot of bullshit off of your scan.

KillerClown

Postby KillerClown » Jan 1st, 2007 at 11:33 am

Yeah, I did know that much. :D
Of course, for whatever reason the 3 scans returned completely different results, so I don't really 'trust' the application much at this point. :P

And after looking, it was checked previously. :o

Ran 2 more back to back scans..

Suck.
Benefactor

Postby Suck. » May 1st, 2007 at 5:36 pm

I had a real pain in the ass Flash problem a while ago, but it was more of the type where Windows kept telling me to upgrade Flash, but I couldn't, b/c I had a higher version. Long story short, Flash didn't work in IE or FF, & MS Update didn't work. So... after rifling through dozens of obscure MS patches in their d/l warehouse, I found one that fixed it. Somehow it carried over to FF as well. \o/ Make sure you have a few hours to follow unlabeled "also found helpful" links if you go that route.

-Grant.

KillerClown

Postby KillerClown » May 2nd, 2007 at 12:24 am

I really just came to the conclusion Adobe Flash Plugin is gay...and that about sums it up. :P

I still have the same problems with it as before and this is an old post, 4 months ago...I've reformatted like 3 times since then and installed and had the same problems on any browser I use the plugin.

Return to “win32/64”