Email client software vs. web-based

Anything created by Bill Gates falls under this category. Having problems with your windows operating system? Here ya go.

Moderators: EatMoreLead, Suck.

What do you use for email?

Client software (Outlook/Outlook Express, etc)
33%
Web-based (MSN/Yahoo/Google, etc)
67%

Total votes: 15

K2
Administrator

Email client software vs. web-based

Postby K2 » Dec 21st, 2006 at 5:18 pm

Just curious what ya'll use for email handling, whether it's a client-based app like Outlook, or if ya just keep everything thru a web interface, like Hotmail/Yahoo/Google.

Personally, I use Outlook 2003 to pull all my email down. I use it because of the excellent rules/sorting features you can use, plus if ya ever go offline, you can still dig thru past emails to get info ya might need.

The only problem I have had recently, was the in huge increase in spam I'd been getting. I know over the last few months it's been a global problem, but my webhost's spam filter is pretty weak. I just recently came across a lil app called K9, and it ties in with your existing web client to filter out spam, plus it can tie in to the Spamhaus SBL-XBL list for a huge leap in spam blocking. It takes a couple days to 'train' the application, but once it gets a handle on what you mark as definite safe email, you're good to go. It's working great for me so far... wondering if any of the rest of you use anything like it (Cloudmark is one, there's several others)?

KillerClown

Postby KillerClown » Dec 21st, 2006 at 6:52 pm

Windows Live Mail Desktop Beta rocks.
"Truth is treason in the empire of lies." - Ron Paul

Jeng
Elite Member

Postby Jeng » Dec 21st, 2006 at 11:38 pm

After loosing emails due to having to reformat after a funlove infection back when I was first getting going, I use webmail. If my computer fucks up, I still have my emails.
I really need to change this sig

Phoenix
Elite Member

Postby Phoenix » Dec 21st, 2006 at 11:46 pm

Both at this point. I use web mail for my work, but for the company my wife is starting I am using both. She has outlook but I use the web based. (I'm padding my resume by calling myself the IT Director... lolz)
Former HF clan member, server admin, all around troll

"You don't do things right once-in-a-while. You do them right all the time."- Vince Lombardi

pyrox420
Elite Member

Postby pyrox420 » Dec 22nd, 2006 at 9:03 am

It's called IMAP bitches. I use thunderbird at home and web based everywhere else. it's nice having all my e-mail together in one place.
"You know what the chain of command is? It's the chain I go get and beat you with until you understand who's in ruttin' command here". - Jayne

Burzum
Benefactor

Postby Burzum » Dec 22nd, 2006 at 11:28 pm

I used to use Outlook but I switched over to GMail and never looked back.
Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup.

rekloose-[PUPPY]
Elite Member

Postby rekloose-[PUPPY] » Dec 23rd, 2006 at 6:35 pm

Jeng wrote:After loosing emails due to having to reformat after a funlove infection back when I was first getting going, I use webmail. If my computer fucks up, I still have my emails.

backups?

Jeng
Elite Member

Postby Jeng » Dec 24th, 2006 at 5:05 pm

rekloose-[PUPPY] wrote:
Jeng wrote:After loosing emails due to having to reformat after a funlove infection back when I was first getting going, I use webmail. If my computer fucks up, I still have my emails.

backups?

Have a fun time finding where outlook express puts all your e-mails when you have had a computer for less than a year and no training, no experience or nothing. When you got your first computer, did you back everything up?

Also not sure how much this applies to this topic.....
http://www.fcw.com/article97178-12-22-06-Web
The Department of Defense (DoD) has taken the step of blocking HTML-based email. They are also banning the use of Outlook Web Access email clients. The DoD is making this move because HTML messages can easily be infected with spyware and executable lines of code that enable hackers to access DoD networks

K2
Administrator

Postby K2 » Dec 24th, 2006 at 5:36 pm

Yeah that just came down the pipe about a week before we went on xmas leave. A LOT of NCO's and officers that did a lot of email communication for work from home will no longer be able to do so.

Jeng
Elite Member

Postby Jeng » Dec 24th, 2006 at 11:09 pm

K2 wrote:Yeah that just came down the pipe about a week before we went on xmas leave. A LOT of NCO's and officers that did a lot of email communication for work from home will no longer be able to do so.

From the discussion on Slashdot bout the story.

http://it.slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=06/12/24/1922216

This post looks like it might be usefull to some NCO's and officers you know, then again I have no idea what I'm looking at.

Although vanilla access to OWA is being blocked, there are still ways to get to your email from outside of the network (mainly what OWA was used for, anyhow). You can VPN into the network, log on to OWA using your CAC (common access card, smart card, etc), use your Blackberry (assuming your rank is high enough to get one ;)).

So instead of just plain old OWA sitting out there waiting for anyone to type in a username and password, they've upped the security a little bit. Yes, it's making us jump through hoops a little (for myself, need to stand up an ASA5510 as a VPN concentrator to receive outside connections), but it's not impossible.

Besides... not being able to check your work email from home can only be a good thing, no?? I know, I know, it's for people on travel, leave, etc. too...

As for the "blocking" of HTML email, can't say that I've seen that at all. Maybe it's only for emails that originate from outside of the network since we use HTML email all the time from within Outlook (formatting is useful in this case).

---John Holmes...

JayPhat
Elite Member

Postby JayPhat » Dec 25th, 2006 at 8:43 pm

At work we use a web based Outlook Express client. Kind of nice actually.

Oreo
l33t scr1pt0r

Postby Oreo » Dec 26th, 2006 at 6:26 am

I like web-based gmail.

Return to “win32/64”