Installed Vista last night

Anything created by Bill Gates falls under this category. Having problems with your windows operating system? Here ya go.

Moderators: EatMoreLead, Suck.

G$
Benefactor

Installed Vista last night

Postby G$ » Dec 14th, 2006 at 9:09 am

Athlon 64 3400
1 gig pc 3200
200gig IDE drive
DFO Lanparty UT NF3 250 GB MB
BFG 6600GT

Install took a good 45 minutes and was very straightforward. I did a clean install as for some reason the upgrade feature was unavailable. The only driver missing after the install was audio, and using the driver update to the web feature in windows found it post install. Automatically configured the Aero interface and it runs very well. Everything snaps and is basically lag free. Of course most fresh installs are. It's good to get back to a 64 bit OS - at one point I had the XP 64 beta OS installed and liked it a lot but missed registering it so it went away. I installed Teamspeak and Guild wars and ran both without incident, although I am having trouble getting my microphone to sound decent. To be honest I only spent about 5 minutes on it and am not concerned that I will not be able to correct it with either more time fiddling or drivers. Although I got good results graphically with the Microsoft driver for my video card I am eager to install the latest Nvidia drivers I am going to install round 2 apps tonight - Nero, office, steam apps. I may download the new office to try.

If you have any significant experience working with XP you will have no problems getting around in the environment. Most of the menus and config screens are like XP, but you get to them in different ways. I have not gotten frustrated looking for anything yet. Things I like about it - tiling open windows, small preview popup of minimized windows by hovering over the toolbar, gadgets.
The HF web site cookies issue seems absent, but I only logged in twice.
So far there is nothing I don't like about it, but give me a few more days to play with it and I'm sure I will find something.

That is all

G$

Campsalot

Postby Campsalot » Dec 14th, 2006 at 9:33 am

Just as an FYI, you should never upgrade between OS's that have a substantially different kernel (i.e. Win 9x to 2000 or XP, 2000 or XP to Vista, etc.). You did right by doing a fresh install, you will thank yourself later when you read the horror stories from people that have upgraded :)

Camps

G$
Benefactor

Postby G$ » Dec 14th, 2006 at 2:11 pm

Great - I just upgraded my XP workstation at work to Vista Business.

Oh well - so far so good.

K2
Administrator

Postby K2 » Dec 14th, 2006 at 2:36 pm

I'm going to purchase Vista Ultimate when it comes out next month - my laptop has the first version of the Core Duo, so it only runs 32-bits apps, but I want to drop a 'Merom' Core2 Duo cpu in it to get the 64-bit instruction set, and run Vista in 64-bit mode.

I've heard that people have had issues with certain pieces of hardware, like nVidia drivers not being mature enough yet, or EAX not working on soundblaster cards, etc - but I imagine those issues will be worked out soon. I already read about someone using the windows update feature (wow!) to fix a driver issue.

Keep us updated G$ :P

Oreo
l33t scr1pt0r

Postby Oreo » Dec 15th, 2006 at 4:24 am

Looks good, glad to see no problems. I am already excited about purchasing this when it becomes widely available for home users.

G$
Benefactor

Postby G$ » Dec 19th, 2006 at 11:12 pm

Still rocking along - no major issues. Work PC was a breeze to update and other than familiarizing myself with interface differences has been uneventful. Have found nothing that will not run on it, and apps like office 2003 run significantly better for some reason. Installed it on a 2 ghz pentium M IBM thinkpad and will be checking it out this weekend.

CyberPitz
Elite Member

Postby CyberPitz » Dec 20th, 2006 at 7:27 pm

How much does Vista cost? Hope it's not too much to make me cry.

Burzum
Benefactor

Postby Burzum » Dec 20th, 2006 at 9:55 pm

Vista Locked me out of my Desktop PC. First my profile crashed and started loading some default profile. I logged in and backed up some of my files and then did a system restore. I'm really glad I backed up because when I tried to log back in it failed. I was completely locked out. I just finished reinstalling XP Pro the other night.

In my opinion Vista sucks. It would be great if it actually worked but it doesn't. Maybe when SP1 is released they'll get it figured out.

Office 2007 continues to please though.
Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup.

Burzum
Benefactor

Postby Burzum » Dec 20th, 2006 at 9:56 pm

K2 wrote:I'm going to purchase Vista Ultimate when it comes out next month - my laptop has the first version of the Core Duo, so it only runs 32-bits apps, but I want to drop a 'Merom' Core2 Duo cpu in it to get the 64-bit instruction set, and run Vista in 64-bit mode.

I've heard that people have had issues with certain pieces of hardware, like nVidia drivers not being mature enough yet, or EAX not working on soundblaster cards, etc - but I imagine those issues will be worked out soon. I already read about someone using the windows update feature (wow!) to fix a driver issue.

Keep us updated G$ :P

The Core2 duo's run 64bit? My new laptop has one but I didn't know it could do that....sweet :)
Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup.

Best_predator
Banished to Siberia

Postby Best_predator » Dec 24th, 2006 at 8:27 pm

Installed Vista Ultimate, on my Averatec laptop which is 512ram, 64vid, AMD2800 cpu.
Major problem is im sure that there wasnt appropriated drivers, but from what i've read peoples comps ran just fine with the ones that vista found. So, yea, u HAVE to run vista on "high-end" computers.

I was gona put lots of problems but it's just not worth it. But what did piss me off irrelevant to comp performance is the fact that u couldn't change the windows to look like win2000(classical view). Couldnt get rid of some thumbnail folder view, like in Control Panel.
Even after they put all that protection on it its still just as vulnarable. Some of the malware i ran on it worked just as fine as they did on xp.

So, yea, u need a pretty fuckin good computer for it to do ANYthing...
Sneaky bastard...
"Knowing is not enough; we must apply. Willing is not enough; we must do." ~ Goethe

KillerClown

Postby KillerClown » Dec 24th, 2006 at 8:47 pm

Not really, most everything for Vista runs on pretty lenient terms, IMO. You do need something that isn't 3 years out of date though. You can just about build a complete Vista compatible PC for around $500 or less in some cases.

Last time I played with Vista in order to install/run shit you had to get through a couple security checks, so if you went through those running/installing your malware, it's no surprise it ran them without a hitch.

Microsoft Vista Website wrote:A Windows Vista Capable PC includes at least: (Minimum)

* A modern processor (at least 800MHz1).
* 512 MB of system memory.
* A graphics processor that is DirectX 9 capable

As Camps pointed out in a different thread, he has seen a laptop with 64mb video run Vista full on including graphics and (besides being a little slower) ran pretty cleanly I'd imagine.

Microsoft Vista Website wrote:A Windows Vista Premium Ready PC includes at least: (Full)

* 1 GHz 32-bit (x86) or 64-bit (x64) processor1.
* 1 GB of system memory.
* Support for DirectX 9 graphics with a WDDM driver, 128 MB of graphics memory (minimum)2, Pixel Shader 2.0 and 32 bits per pixel.
* 40 GB of hard drive capacity with 15 GB free space.
* DVD-ROM Drive3.
* Audio output capability.
* Internet access capability

The biggest issue with Vista during the betas was compatibility, which I'm sure isn't near as bad now as it was during the betas.

1 last thing...The thumbnail view issue, I pretty clearly recall being able to size those thumbnails at a wide range of sizes, including taking it all the way down to what was about the average icon size..it may be different in final releases I guess, but I wouldn't think so.
"Truth is treason in the empire of lies." - Ron Paul

Best_predator
Banished to Siberia

Postby Best_predator » Dec 24th, 2006 at 9:54 pm

Well one thing having old 64mb vid card and a newer 64mb vid card. I have older one on my laptop and nothin runs smoothly in vista. Even simple things such as music and video. I have the vista ultimate real version, so thats not the problem.
The thunbnail thing im talkin about is inside explorer, i was able to change everything under my computer to "detail" view but Control Panel short still showed thumbnails which i had to change everytime to "detail" and it wouldnt stay that way.
So, yea im gona wait couple years before i reinstall it :D
Sneaky bastard...
"Knowing is not enough; we must apply. Willing is not enough; we must do." ~ Goethe

G$
Benefactor

Postby G$ » Dec 25th, 2006 at 12:38 pm

Installed on my Brother's HP Presario 6000 last night - merry christmas from me. He uses a 3G verizon card (Qualcomm v640) to access the internet and there are absolutely no vista drivers for the card yet. He is going to have to switch cards or downgrade back to XP or wait till there are drivers. Moral of the story is to check hardware compatability before the upgrade.

Update - Verizon is upgrading his card for free so problem solved.

G$

KillerClown

Postby KillerClown » Dec 25th, 2006 at 2:08 pm

While I absolutely loved Vista, I intend to wait until the first service pack or so, for compatibility, before I think about installing it myself. You could probably search around the inet a little and find how to fix the control panel to always show 'Details', probably a registry key that would change it permanently.

I was actually off a little with what I said, Camp's experience was with a Tablet PC with 64mb of shared video memory, not a 64mb Video Card. Of course, an older processor/motherboard/memory will also have it's effects. What are those like on your laptop? Is the whole thing older...or just the video?

I'll also admit, cleanly, wasn't really the word I was looking for, just what came to mind fastest. ;p More-or-less just meant it would run it, and that you don't really need a top-of-the-line system. :P
Last edited by KillerClown on Dec 25th, 2006 at 2:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

KillerClown

Postby KillerClown » Dec 25th, 2006 at 2:14 pm

G$ wrote:Installed on my Brother's HP Presario 6000 last night - merry christmas from me. He uses a 3G verizon card (Qualcomm v640) to access the internet and there are absolutely no vista drivers for the card yet. He is going to have to switch cards or downgrade back to XP or wait till there are drivers. Moral of the story is to check hardware compatability before the upgrade.

Update - Verizon is upgrading his card for free so problem solved.

G$

Just out of curiosity, did you happen to try 'force' installing the NT drivers for the card and see if that worked? I found a few of the NT drivers for my hardware worked with Vista.

Best_predator
Banished to Siberia

Postby Best_predator » Dec 25th, 2006 at 2:18 pm

KillerClown wrote:You could probably search around the inet a little and find how to fix the control panel to always show Detail, probably a registry key that would change it permanently.

Yea definitely, i just never bothered to search for an answer. The point is that it wasn't easy to do. Or it didn't happen as i expected it to.

I also have 64 shared video memory, so that leaves me only with 448 RAM processor is AMD sempron 2800+. So its not that bad, except for video. I just got caught off guard that simple things like music/video wouldn't work.

Like you I will also wait until they come up with few updates and shit before i reinstall it.
Sneaky bastard...

KillerClown

Postby KillerClown » Dec 25th, 2006 at 2:34 pm

That's pretty shitty music was having a problem, you updated everything after installing? Sound should have been fine I would have thought, unless you got a bad install of the sound card drivers, or..well, nfi..that's pretty odd. :P Did the sound drivers install during the Vista install, or did you install them separately?

Or, hmm, what about the HDD on it...what speed is it? I don't know the standards for laptops. Unless for some reason not having a minimum of 512kb RAM was causing it, Vista is pretty intense.

I installed the betas 3 or 4 times, and yeah it was a hassle to get everything working correctly. My CPU OC software was probably the most annoying thing I ran into though...Gigabyte EasyTune 5 (I think they have a new version out for Vista now, but didn't at the time), I had to install it, then actually uninstall it and reinstall it, then run it in compat. for XP, and then do Admin. rights and all that shit each time I installed Vista (in order for it to run AND overclock the CPU).

But yeah, that's mostly why I decided to wait...give Microsoft time to get out some incompatibilities and such, also giving time for 3rd parties to get their shit up to date, etc.

Best_predator
Banished to Siberia

Postby Best_predator » Dec 25th, 2006 at 3:05 pm

I think hdd was 5400. Well the sound hiccuped only in Win Media player. I even tried to run WMP as skin mode and just the bar mode. It still hiccuped. Winamp on the other hand worked just fine. As for the drivers, vista installed its own at first and after seein it hiccuping i decided to install XP(the only one currently available for my laptop).

Same thing happened for video except any other video player only got sound feed. So it was all fucking weird. I tried lookin for answers a little bit but there's just not a lot about all of this yet.
Sneaky bastard...

KillerClown

Postby KillerClown » Dec 25th, 2006 at 3:55 pm

lol, fun stuff.

DocNsane

Postby DocNsane » Dec 25th, 2006 at 7:06 pm

Best_predator wrote:Installed Vista Ultimate, on my Averatec laptop which is 512ram, 64vid, AMD2800 cpu.
Major problem is im sure that there wasnt appropriated drivers, but from what i've read peoples comps ran just fine with the ones that vista found. So, yea, u HAVE to run vista on "high-end" computers.

I was gona put lots of problems but it's just not worth it. But what did piss me off irrelevant to comp performance is the fact that u couldn't change the windows to look like win2000(classical view). Couldnt get rid of some thumbnail folder view, like in Control Panel.
Even after they put all that protection on it its still just as vulnarable. Some of the malware i ran on it worked just as fine as they did on xp.

So, yea, u need a pretty fuckin good computer for it to do ANYthing...

I didn't notice this thread is active again, so I guess I should address some issues people are having.

First off...windows 2k look and feel? ew...but ok...

Detailed list of CP? ok..ya

But why would you do that when you can can use the serach bar to go to exactly where you want to go?

And you don't need total high end to run it.
This is a AMD 2500+ with 2 gigs of ram and a GF6150. I installed it on my friend's PC who has a 1.8 Centrino with 1.5G of ram and a 9600 64MB. No problems at all

If anyone else has questions or wants to see something, let me know.

Demo of notes + snipping tool used to make above shots.

Best_predator
Banished to Siberia

Postby Best_predator » Dec 25th, 2006 at 7:21 pm

If u read what i said, i said it didn't stay that way. Its not hard to make it "close" to the win2000 feel. I had all the shit u screenshotted thanks. But like i said control panel just didnt stay that way, i had to change it every time i opened it.

Why would i do that? Because its easier to read? Its faster access if u dont remember exactly the names? I dunno what else...

P.S ok u didnt read what i said.

P.P.S. I dont give a fuck about about all the eye candy shit. I just need a workable environment. Spare me the demos of pretty much useless snipping tool crap.
Sneaky bastard...

K2
Administrator

Postby K2 » Dec 25th, 2006 at 9:48 pm

Best_predator wrote:P.P.S. I dont give a fuck about about all the eye candy shit. I just need a workable environment. Spare me the demos of pretty much useless snipping tool crap.

It's called Linux, Pred... maybe you should start using it instead? ;)

Thx for the screenshots Doc, I'm sure others will find 'em useful.

Side note - I know you can run windows 2000/XP in console mode; can you do the same with Vista?

Best_predator
Banished to Siberia

Postby Best_predator » Dec 25th, 2006 at 10:12 pm

K2 wrote:It's called Linux, Pred... maybe you should start using it instead? ;)

True, i should reinstall fedora...
Sneaky bastard...

Best_predator
Banished to Siberia

Postby Best_predator » Dec 26th, 2006 at 12:37 am

Sneaky bastard...

Jeng
Elite Member

Postby Jeng » Dec 26th, 2006 at 1:10 am

Best_predator wrote:http://www.cs.auckland.ac.nz/~pgut001/pubs/vista_cost.txt

Good read to anyone interested...

Haven't read it, but heard bout it, a quick skimming shows it to be........."The Cost Analysis That has no Numbers."
I really need to change this sig

Return to “win32/64”