Microsoft Vista and Office 2007 *early*

Anything created by Bill Gates falls under this category. Having problems with your windows operating system? Here ya go.

Moderators: EatMoreLead, Suck.

K2
Administrator

Microsoft Vista and Office 2007 *early*

Postby K2 » Nov 13th, 2006 at 9:01 pm

If ya can't wait til January, you can get both Vista and Office 2007 from Compusa on Nov. 30th - http://www.winbeta.org/comments.php?id=5390&catid=1

You're limited in what edition you can get, but hey, some ppl dont wanna wait two extra months. Personally, I'm lookin' forward to getting my hands on Vista.

EDIT - lil blurb I found on winsupersite.com about the different kernel flavors of Vista:

The x64 versions of Windows Vista adopt all of the positive and negative quirks of their XP x64 predecessor and add a few wrinkles of their own. Like XP x64, the various Vista x64 versions support x64-compatible PCs based on the AMD-64 (Athlon-64, Opteron, Turion processors) and Intel EMT-64 (Pentium D and Xeon) platforms. Unlike XP x64, you don't need to buy a x64-specific versions of Vista. Instead, all Windows Vista editions, except for Vista Starter, will come with both 32-bit (x86) and 64-bit (x64) versions in the box, on separate DVDs. This includes the Home Basic (and Home Basic N), Home Premium, Business (and Business N), Enterprise, and Ultimate editions of Windows Vista.

:D

rekloose-[PUPPY]
Elite Member

Postby rekloose-[PUPPY] » Nov 13th, 2006 at 10:11 pm

wtf .. how many different versions of vista exist? which one should i get if i want to run IIS?

K2
Administrator

Postby K2 » Nov 13th, 2006 at 10:15 pm

Just get the ultimate edition man, that's what I'm doin... all based covered.

rekloose-[PUPPY]
Elite Member

Postby rekloose-[PUPPY] » Nov 13th, 2006 at 11:58 pm

what're the cost breakdowns of the different versions?

K2
Administrator

Postby K2 » Nov 14th, 2006 at 12:19 am

These are estimated prices (full/upgrade):

Windows Vista Ultimate $349/$199
Windows Vista Business $269/179
Windows Vista Home Premium $239/$139
Windows Vista Home Basic $199/$99

Phoenix
Elite Member

Postby Phoenix » Nov 14th, 2006 at 1:16 pm

eww $199 for the upgrade, damn. Fuckers.
Former HF clan member, server admin, all around troll

"You don't do things right once-in-a-while. You do them right all the time."- Vince Lombardi

Jahiliyya

Postby Jahiliyya » Nov 14th, 2006 at 4:50 pm

K2 wrote:These are estimated prices (full/upgrade):

Thanks K2.

As our newly assumed Microsoft Product Peddler how about posting a capabilities breakdown across the different versions.

Thanks.
There's a blip that hovers that city that can see thry anything, like x-ray, they can see everything you do. ~Keyser

sgarissta

Postby sgarissta » Nov 15th, 2006 at 3:28 pm

Jahiliyya wrote:These are estimated prices (full/upgrade):
Thanks K2.

As our newly assumed Microsoft Product Peddler how about posting a capabilities breakdown across the different versions.

Thanks.

XP + Security Enhancements + DX10 + Aero + Media Center + DRM

XP + Security Enhancements (most won't be REALLY useful until Longhorn server comes out)

XP + Security Enhancements + Media Center + DRM

XP + Security Enhancements + DRM

Phoenix
Elite Member

Postby Phoenix » Nov 15th, 2006 at 4:35 pm

So I don't get DX 10 without paying $200!!!! I hope everyone at Mircosoft burns in hell for this shit.
Former HF clan member, server admin, all around troll

"You don't do things right once-in-a-while. You do them right all the time."- Vince Lombardi

sgarissta

Postby sgarissta » Nov 16th, 2006 at 3:48 pm

Phoenix wrote:So I don't get DX 10 without paying $200!!!! I hope everyone at Mircosoft burns in hell for this shit.

Without paying $350 more likely, because who wants an upgrade copy? The way XP upgrades worked was you got a non-bootable disk, that would only load from a previously installed copy of windows, then "upgrade" that copy to XP. So unless the new deal is "show up with your windows certified license certificate that noone ever lost, ever, and we'll give you a full copy for $200", then you'll probably be shelling out $350.

Burzum
Benefactor

Postby Burzum » Nov 29th, 2006 at 1:00 pm

I have had Vista Ultimate and Office 2007 for a couple weeks (since MSDN released the release versions). Office 2007 is sweet especially if you're a software developer. Vista on the other hand sucks. I'm sure it will be fine after a while but I would NOT suggest installing it on anything you need to work correctly. I installed it on my home desktop system and currently regret it. I'm glad I didn't put it on my laptop I use for work! The biggest problem with it is the poor program support. Sometimes the XP drivers work and then sometimes they don't. It's VERY hard to find Vista drivers right now (as it doesn't come out until next year).

Overall it's kinda like how XP got off to a slow start. Just give it a few months and maybe install in the summer. If you really can't wait you might dual boot for a while and do a clean install after you're comfirtable.
Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup.

pyrox420
Elite Member

Postby pyrox420 » Nov 29th, 2006 at 1:05 pm

Why is office 07 good for developers?
"You know what the chain of command is? It's the chain I go get and beat you with until you understand who's in ruttin' command here". - Jayne

Campsalot

Postby Campsalot » Nov 29th, 2006 at 2:43 pm

Actually Burz, I would equate Vista more to what Windows 95 was like when it first hit. Hopefully it will be more stable than 95 was :P

Oreo
l33t scr1pt0r

Postby Oreo » Nov 29th, 2006 at 4:37 pm

You get dx10 in all of the versions...

KillerClown

Postby KillerClown » Nov 30th, 2006 at 2:58 am

I came across this in the vista newsgroups stuff.

"Microsoft is currently working on a large update to the Direct3D API.
Originally called Windows Graphics Foundation, DirectX 10, and later DirectX
Next, but currently referred to as Direct3D 10, it will appear as part of
Windows Vista. Version 10 will represent a departure from the driver model of
DirectX Graphics 9.0, with the addition of a scheduler and memory
virtualization system. Direct3D 10 will forego the current DirectX practice
of using "capability bits" to indicate which features are active on the
current hardware. Instead, Direct3D 10 will define a minimum standard of
hardware capabilities which must be supported for a display system to be
"Direct3D 10 compatible". According to Microsoft, Direct3D 10 will be able to
display graphics up to 8 times faster than DirectX Graphics 9.0c. In
addition, Direct3D 10 will incorporate Microsoft Shader Model 4.0."

I gather they changed the name around a couple times during the development of DirectX10 eventually ending with Direct3D 10. Though I don't know for sure whether it's in the current Vista RC's, I do think it will be a standard part of all of the Vista releases.

Some D3D10 Documentation:
http://download.microsoft.com/download/ ... 10_web.pdf

On a side note: Somebody just knocked on my fucking door...at 2:30am...I just cocked my pistol, popped the safeties, and looked through the peephole on the door, I noticed there were no extra cars and anyone I know would have called before showing up. So in an effort not to let anyone give me a reason to shoot them, I decided to just watch him and see what he did (would have fucking loved it if he tried to break in with me standing there)...he stood there for like 2 minutes, then walked off in between the back of 2 apartment buildings across from mine, but I don't know anyone that lives out here (though I've been living here for more than a year).
Shit's got me all nervous, I already don't like living out here because the damn cops are at the apartment building 2 over from me just about every other friggin day...now I got strange motherfuckers knocking on my door at 2:30 in the morning...what the fuck..
I was about to go to sleep too, but now I definitely won't be able to sleep. >.<
"Truth is treason in the empire of lies." - Ron Paul

Nad

Postby Nad » Nov 30th, 2006 at 10:27 am

pussy, just show em your farmers tan, would scare even the most roofless of criminals away.
Hardfought Forum/Game Server Admin and all around board troll

KillerClown

Postby KillerClown » Nov 30th, 2006 at 1:07 pm

Yeah, but the aftermath that could possibly cause is basically the main reason I didn't open the door. Come to find out that earlier last night, around 9pm or so, my dog started going crazy and someone with a flashlight was seen around a window at the back of my apartment.

Isn't much 'pussy' in not wanting to have to shoot someone, while I thoroughly don't believe I would have a problem with it, the consequences (like possibly someone coming for payback or w/e) is what I'd prefer to avoid, I'd really just prefer to keep to myself over here all together.

Jeng
Elite Member

Postby Jeng » Nov 30th, 2006 at 8:31 pm

Pepper Spray + Stun Gun = one motherfucker who will never come back without the hassle of shooting someone
I really need to change this sig

Burzum
Benefactor

Postby Burzum » Nov 30th, 2006 at 10:07 pm

pyrox420 wrote:Why is office 07 good for developers?

2007 is nice because it saves all it's files in an XML style document for easy compatability with just about anything else. Think of the possibilities @_@

Then again you're one of those "P-H-P" developers....eeeeeuuuuuwwwwwwww :twisted:
Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup.

pyrox420
Elite Member

Postby pyrox420 » Dec 1st, 2006 at 7:22 am

LOL... xml is pretty sweet. And yes, php is very friendly to XML. So :P
"You know what the chain of command is? It's the chain I go get and beat you with until you understand who's in ruttin' command here". - Jayne

KillerClown

Postby KillerClown » Dec 1st, 2006 at 7:51 am

Jeng wrote:Pepper Spray + Stun Gun = one motherfucker who will never come back without the hassle of shooting someone

I think my .380 is slightly more effective than that. :P

Jeng
Elite Member

Postby Jeng » Dec 1st, 2006 at 6:22 pm

KillerClown wrote:
Jeng wrote:Pepper Spray + Stun Gun = one motherfucker who will never come back without the hassle of shooting someone

Effective at landing you in jail, or at least intimately involved with the police and the courts for a long period of time.
I really need to change this sig

JayPhat
Elite Member

Postby JayPhat » Dec 1st, 2006 at 8:57 pm

KillerClown wrote:

Are you aware cops are not allowed to carry both?

Has to do with the compressed pepper spray being exsplosive and the large electric current they carry too close to one another.

KillerClown

Postby KillerClown » Dec 3rd, 2006 at 2:54 am

JayPhat wrote:Are you aware cops are not allowed to carry both?

Has to do with the compressed pepper spray being exsplosive and the large electric current they carry too close to one another.

What's funny is the things normal police can't carry/use that bail bondsmen/bounty hunters can. :o

Jeng wrote:Effective at landing you in jail, or at least intimately involved with the police and the courts for a long period of time.

Hmm, for defending myself/home with a completely legal firearm? Don't think so. Maybe a short hassle is about all.

What's also nice is that, my handgun (as long as I don't conceal (or reveal it in a threatening manner, unless defending myself) is 100% legal in any form when I carry it around with me...loaded, unloaded, safety or not, clip of any number of bullets (assuming if it were a large clip it was bought before it was banned (if it was banned)). Actually just found out this specific stuff yesterday when I rode with a friend to a jail near here and happened to ask the head sheriff, to clarify for myself.
The friend is a bail bondsman/bounty hunter, my dad was also a police officer for over 15 years (in the city I currently live in, and another city (together)), my little brother has been in the army for about 5 years or more (Not saying this is a shit load of anything, or that you don't know anything, just speaking from my personal experiences). You'd probably be amazed at how apt I am of how to obey the law and still defend myself successfully (with or without the firearm). :P

Edit: I also wanted to post something else to this but I got tied up and forgot...

You should be required to take a spray from the Pepper Spray or a shock from the Stun Gun in order to get them IMO, unless you're some defenseless 80 yr old woman (who shouldn't be carrying it in the first place because she's more likely to spray herself in the face :P ). Kind of like..I took a bullet to the face, so I feel now I can carry a gun and not be too dangerous to innocent people (kind of, Handgun and PepSpray/StnGun are 2 obviously different leagues)...I won't jump off without fully being aware of everything around me.
But seriously, too many people do over do it with defense items like that because they don't truly know the power of what they possess.

sohpriest

Postby sohpriest » Dec 3rd, 2006 at 10:34 am

screw that. Thats like saying if a guy is in my house I shouldn't hit him with my baseball bat because I've never been hit. When it comes to what you think is a life or limb situation all bets are off and it's kill him before he hurts me.
"I am Jack's smirking revenge."

Return to “win32/64”