Virtual Server 2005 Client

Anything created by Bill Gates falls under this category. Having problems with your windows operating system? Here ya go.

Moderators: EatMoreLead, Suck.

DocNsane

Virtual Server 2005 Client

Postby DocNsane » Sep 8th, 2006 at 10:24 am

Someone at the lan party was telling me about a client application they wrote that would connect to a Virtual Server machine and act similarly to VPC, so that I can avoid the moronic usage of a web browser to work on a machine.

Who was it and what was it?

pyrox420
Elite Member

Postby pyrox420 » Sep 8th, 2006 at 10:56 am

You mean "remote desktop connection"? If you have winxp it's under "programs/accessories/communications/remote desktop connection".
"You know what the chain of command is? It's the chain I go get and beat you with until you understand who's in ruttin' command here". - Jayne

sgarissta

Postby sgarissta » Sep 8th, 2006 at 11:23 pm

That was me. I'm home for the weekend, so I don't have access to the source code. Shoot me a PM or something beginning of next week, and i'll zip up the source for you.

It'll require some firewall tweaks on your server at the very least (unless your server is running locally, in which case you'll be fine). Otherwise you'll need to open i think 135, or whatever the remote management ports are (sorry I can't be more specific, I've only had to enable it via group policy, so I don't know the machine level config for it). And possibly tweak some DCOM settings. All told it's maybe a couple hundred lines of C# and some COM wrapper code blatantly copy/pasted from MSDN.

Campsalot

Postby Campsalot » Sep 9th, 2006 at 7:54 am

Ummm.. I hope you are not planning on using that through the web. Do not.. I repeat... DO NOT open port 135 (or any other NetBIOS or DCE port) in your WAN firewall. You will watch your system crumble before your very eyes if you do.

sgarissta

Postby sgarissta » Sep 9th, 2006 at 8:33 pm

Campsalot wrote:Ummm.. I hope you are not planning on using that through the web. Do not.. I repeat... DO NOT open port 135 (or any other NetBIOS or DCE port) in your WAN firewall. You will watch your system crumble before your very eyes if you do.

Of course not. Since it's for managing a Virtual Server, I wouldn't dare open that externally. By opening on the firewall, I meant on the windows firewally, not the WAN firewall. I would assume most "power users" don't rely on their windows firewall to handle all their security needs.

DocNsane

Postby DocNsane » Sep 25th, 2006 at 2:45 am

Gaw...havn't had internet in a while...and they block at work...you still there man?

K2
Administrator

Postby K2 » Sep 25th, 2006 at 3:17 am

This site is blocked at your work? I purposely didnt put any kind of meta tags in the index page so it wouldnt be picked up by a lot of filters. Even all of the armed forces domains don't block HF ;)

sgarissta

Postby sgarissta » Sep 25th, 2006 at 11:16 am

DocNsane wrote:Gaw...havn't had internet in a while...and they block at work...you still there man?

Yup, should be an attachment to this post with the code.
Attachments
VirtualTest.zip
(377.19 KiB) Downloaded 108 times

DocNsane

Postby DocNsane » Sep 27th, 2006 at 4:04 pm

Yeah, they use some type of websence proxy which ID's this as games.

Return to “win32/64”