For all you FireFox fanboys out there...

Anything created by Bill Gates falls under this category. Having problems with your windows operating system? Here ya go.

Moderators: EatMoreLead, Suck.

K2
Administrator

For all you FireFox fanboys out there...

Postby K2 » Sep 8th, 2006 at 5:55 am

Have a look - http://www.g2zero.com/2006/09/examining ... firef.html

Once you finally come out of the fetal position, remember that just because software like FireFox goes up against 'the man' (read: microsoft) doesnt mean it's perfect. That goes for all you 'omgwtflinuxisomgawesomebbqkthx!!!1!' boys out there too.

Personally, I'm lookin forward to the official release of IE 7. I've played around with a couple beta builds of it, looks like the first non-beta release will be relatively solid.

Burzum
Benefactor

Postby Burzum » Sep 8th, 2006 at 8:14 am

I love IE7 beta. I switched back from Firefox for IE7 beta.
Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup.

pyrox420
Elite Member

Postby pyrox420 » Sep 8th, 2006 at 10:28 am

Lol... oh man k2... seriously. The open source community loves bug reports like this. It's one of the advantages of being Open Source. Ohhhhh it has 650 bugs... OMG!!! The earth is falling. Not. I bet they have already fixed a bulk of the important ones.

If you are a programmer you know that the bulk of these defects are very minor. Null pointer shit is handled by the C++ template wrappers that have smart pointer management. Etc. Etc.

How many defects does IE have? We don't know and probably will never know as MS will not release the code. For all we know, IE could have 720 vulnerabilites. Remember... security through obscurity is no security at all. At last report i believe there were 30 vulnerabilities in IE that were able to give you ROOT ACCESS to the box.

You also have to take into consideration the seriousness of the vulnerabilities. 719 "non-critical" vulnerabilites can EASILY be outdone by 1 extremely critical vulnerability. When was the last time a mozilla sercurity bug wasn't patched within a days or two? Now... compare that to Microsoft. Oh wait... your right, they do fix something quick when it affects their DRM:
http://www.wired.com/news/columns/0,717 ... =rss.index

Anyways... I willl admit IE7 is nicer than IE6. They are finally fixing some of the rendering issues that have been plaguing web developers for YEARS. I like the use of header realestate. More website on the screen is nice. But remember... they are just playing catchup to Firefox. I don't see one feature that is better implemented in IE7 than Firefox.

Last but not least... let's talk about spyware. On my parents PC when they used to use IE i would come home and whipe the PC of spywarer, adware at least a couple times a month. I installed firefox and they haven't had a single piece of spyware or adware in over 1.5 years!

IE7 > IE6
Firefox > IE7
"You know what the chain of command is? It's the chain I go get and beat you with until you understand who's in ruttin' command here". - Jayne

rekloose-[PUPPY]
Elite Member

Postby rekloose-[PUPPY] » Sep 8th, 2006 at 10:47 am

maxthon > all

pyrox420
Elite Member

Postby pyrox420 » Sep 8th, 2006 at 10:55 am

rekloose-[PUPPY] wrote:maxthon > all
Lol. That's rich. :)
"You know what the chain of command is? It's the chain I go get and beat you with until you understand who's in ruttin' command here". - Jayne

K2
Administrator

Postby K2 » Sep 8th, 2006 at 1:08 pm

Pyrox - I never said IE was free of defects. I am just pointing out that FF is not all it's cracked up to be. Your response to this thread just proved that you're the first one to have come out of the fetal position after seeing that *gasp* yes, FF is not perfect ;)

pyrox420
Elite Member

Postby pyrox420 » Sep 8th, 2006 at 1:38 pm

K2 wrote:FF is not perfect ;)
Duh... i could have told you that one. But it's better than the competition.

Kinda like Burzum vs. Me. We both have defects... but i'm way better than the competition.

Zing!

G$
Benefactor

Postby G$ » Sep 8th, 2006 at 1:40 pm

Lies - all lies! Spread and perpetuated by a secret society founded by Bill Gates to destroy any possible threat to his dream of universal technology domination.

Firefox!
Firefox!

(actually never used it)

G$

sohpriest

Postby sohpriest » Sep 8th, 2006 at 4:27 pm

isn't firefox that movie about the russian plane from the 80's
"I am Jack's smirking revenge."

JayPhat
Elite Member

Postby JayPhat » Sep 8th, 2006 at 4:37 pm

The Mart is using IE7 beta for interal useage. Its flying under MS radar right now but for once, the company has finally had a web browser that actually blocks out security levels like its supposed to.

Jeng
Elite Member

Postby Jeng » Sep 8th, 2006 at 5:51 pm

Oh kick ass. We now know the vector to bring wallmart down!!
I really need to change this sig

Campsalot

Postby Campsalot » Sep 9th, 2006 at 12:02 am

IE7 is just now catching up to the functionality FireFox has had for months and months and months. It is a MUCH more flexible browser than IE and, in many cases, faster. I'm an MS certified engineer (yeah.. that cert + .25 MIGHT get you a cup of coffee), but I certainly know their limitations. Don't even get me started about MS and TCP/IP... sheesh.. i could go all day on that one!

camps

Burzum
Benefactor

Postby Burzum » Sep 9th, 2006 at 8:36 pm

pyrox420 wrote:
K2 wrote:FF is not perfect ;)
Duh... i could have told you that one. But it's better than the competition.

Kinda like Burzum vs. Me. We both have defects... but i'm way better than the competition.

Zing!

Lol so tru-- wait just a bloody second! :evil:
Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup.

K2
Administrator

Postby K2 » Sep 10th, 2006 at 3:27 pm

Adding more fuel to the fire - http://www.hardocp.com/news.html?news=M ... V3cywsLDE=

;)

Seriously tho, I believe the reporters comments to be true - flaws in the code or not, it boils down to the users actions. It doesnt matter whether you use IE or FF or Opera, whatever... if you keep going to sites that you shouldnt be going to, you're gonna get fucked with eventually. The entire point of this thread was to point out that there isnt a single piece of software out there that is 100% secure, or is 100% compatible with your hardware, etc. But there's so many fan b0i's out there of things that are not microsoft that love to tout how oh-so-wonderful this or that app is because it wasnt developed by 'the man' or because it's open source, when in reality it's got just as many problems as everything else.

I love fuckin' with you fan b0i's ;)

Kahuna Mas

Postby Kahuna Mas » Sep 11th, 2006 at 10:48 am

The only reason IE may seem to be more secure than FF is because viruses don't like waiting 3 minutes for a website to load.

I'm an FF and use IE as backup. Life is too short for IE6 right now.

As for viruses and e-mail spam, its amazing how you never (or very rarely) get either as long as you keep your e-peen in your pants.

Catharsys

Postby Catharsys » Sep 11th, 2006 at 11:07 am

running active spyware detection and a/v helps too.

Campsalot

Postby Campsalot » Sep 15th, 2006 at 2:29 pm

This is a good one to put in your "IE rocks the house!" pocket, K2. :P

Camps

K2
Administrator

Postby K2 » Sep 15th, 2006 at 9:49 pm

LOL... you guys only read what you wanna read. This thread was NOT a pro IE topic. It wasnt a pro *anything* - it was just pointing out that FF has it's share of flaws too. Just as many as every other piece of software out there, whether it's made by MS or not. Sad thing tho, is that a few of you got it in your head that if it's not made by Microsoft, then it must be perfect. Bzzt, wrong! lol... :lol:

Fags.

rekloose-[PUPPY]
Elite Member

Postby rekloose-[PUPPY] » Sep 16th, 2006 at 3:54 am

K2 wrote: Sad thing tho, is that a few of you got it in your head that if it's not made by Microsoft, then it must be perfect.

so i should go return this mac?

JayPhat
Elite Member

Postby JayPhat » Sep 16th, 2006 at 11:04 am

rekloose-[PUPPY] wrote:
K2 wrote: Sad thing tho, is that a few of you got it in your head that if it's not made by Microsoft, then it must be perfect.

LOL. No, you can keep it and sit in the corner with then other non-conformists.

G$
Benefactor

Postby G$ » Sep 25th, 2006 at 3:01 pm

Jeng
Elite Member

Postby Jeng » Sep 25th, 2006 at 8:14 pm

When it comes to patching, all of the browsers are improving. Firefox is the fastest to get its patches out, with a one-day window of exposure. Opera had a two-day window of exposure, down from 18 days during the last half of 2005. The window of exposure for Safari is up to five days (from zero), while Internet Explorer typically has a nine-day window, down from 25 days in the previous study.

I really want to call bullshit on Nine days for IE, but I'm too lazy to look shit up.

Burzum
Benefactor

Postby Burzum » Sep 26th, 2006 at 7:43 am

rekloose-[PUPPY] wrote:

Those new macs are pretty cool. Running both XP and Mac OS was a VERY good move for Apple.

Jeng
Elite Member

Postby Jeng » Oct 8th, 2006 at 8:27 pm

Although this can be looked at in a negative way, I think this article actually shows some serious improvement with IE7 vs IE6.

http://www.windows-noob.com/review/ie7/

K2
Administrator

Postby K2 » Oct 8th, 2006 at 9:16 pm

Good find Jeng... nice to know you can completey screw up your copy of IE7 and reset back to (99%) normal.

Now, has anyone does this same test with FF 1.5.x and FF 2.x beta?

Return to “win32/64”