website move

Anything directly related to the web-server can be discussed here - ranging from HTML coding, to the messageboard itself, etc.

Moderators: EatMoreLead, Suck.

K2
Administrator

website move

Postby K2 » Aug 14th, 2016 at 6:20 pm

So, I've let this slide for the last few years, but I no longer see the point in paying for web-hosting anymore. Especially now that I have a much more robust setup at the house in terms of bandwidth, security and hardware.

Before year's end, I'm going to move HF to it's own stand-alone server that I'll run from the house. Mail services as well. The only thing I will have to pay for on the outside is the domain handling. This will save me quite a bit per year.

In a sense, you could say HF is going back to it's roots. Dunno how many of you remember, but the website and email used to be run from a box that I kept in my apartment at the top of my desk. IIS 4/5 and Exchange 2000, all on a lowly DSL line. I don't even remember the specs on that system, but I imagine it was pretty weak compared to today's standards.

More to follow...

doofy

Re: website move

Postby doofy » Sep 15th, 2016 at 5:45 pm

Hopefully you still have the old hardware lying around and you can run it on that for old times sake too!

KillerClown

Postby KillerClown » Sep 17th, 2016 at 5:03 am

Nice, I've been considering doing the same with my own website for a while now. I have a customer who pays enough for webhosting that I get a reseller account and host my site on the same host, but the last time he renewed he was considering paying a company for managed hosting (something I never wanted to do due to the amount of time/work required and the lack of money involved). I'm the only one who ever uses my website anyway, and it's mostly just small files and screenshots from gaming over the years.

I'm sure most of us who still stop by here remember that. I also remember losing a lot of posts when you upgraded the forums way back when, too. :P
"Truth is treason in the empire of lies." - Ron Paul

Nad

Postby Nad » Sep 27th, 2016 at 11:13 am

Sounds good Keith, no sense in wasting the cash on hosting. Personally, I don't think the hosting we've had the last few years has been very good anyway.

Sorry for the absence, Jocelyn got hit with a cancer diagnosis in July, so it's been pretty hectic for us.
Hardfought Forum/Game Server Admin and all around board troll

K2
Administrator

Postby K2 » Sep 27th, 2016 at 6:10 pm

No worries man, I'm tracking that, been following your posts on Facebook. Stay positive and hope for the best. Our thoughts are with ya.

Nad

Postby Nad » Sep 29th, 2016 at 1:25 pm

Thanks bro.

All of this time bored at the hospital, i was forced to find a game that would run on a cheap surface. Ended up loading DAoC up again. Never found a game that matched it in keeping my attention. Got my runie up to 35 yesterday.
Hardfought Forum/Game Server Admin and all around board troll

K2
Administrator

Postby K2 » Oct 16th, 2016 at 7:18 pm

Hardware ordered for the website - http://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/ ... i5syk.html - along with 32GB of DDR4 RAM and a Samsung EVO 120GB M.2 SSD.

Gonna run Hardfought as well as my business website (which has yet to be created) off the same box. Virtual host for the win using Apache.

If I configure this correctly, this could very well be the fastest the HF website will have ever been or ever will be. The bottleneck would be my home internet upload speed (~12 Mbps on Comcast business). More to follow.

K2
Administrator

Postby K2 » Nov 20th, 2016 at 8:26 pm

Quick pic of the soon-to-be new HF web sevrer - Image

Can you see it? :) Logged into it via SSH on the screen. Services are setup, I just need to configure it and get content moved over.

K2
Administrator

Postby K2 » Dec 5th, 2016 at 5:19 pm

If you've read the news, and you're here reading this, then ya know the site migration succeeded. There were a few kinks to work out (notably getting this version of phpBB3 to play nice with PHP 7.x) but it wasn't anything I couldn't handle. I don't remember HF ever running this smoothly. Happy camper at the moment, should have done this years ago.

Setting up a basic email server next, initially just with SMTP capability so the website can respond via email to certain queries, like account password resets, etc.

Long term, I'd like to get away from the wordpress <--> phpBB3 bridge that's currently in use (wp-united) as it's been abandoned. There's another one that's in active development, so I may give that I look. And another site re-design would probably go hand-in-hand with that.

Enjoy the site gang ;)

K2
Administrator

Postby K2 » Dec 5th, 2016 at 5:31 pm

KillerClown wrote:I'm sure most of us who still stop by here remember that. I also remember losing a lot of posts when you upgraded the forums way back when, too. :P

I still periodically kick myself in the ass for letting that happen. Chalk that one up to lack of experience. What was the forum I was using initially.... UBB. Ran on perl, no database. Everything was stored in txt-based files. There *might* be a really old HDD I still have laying around that might have something saved, but I doubt it. That happened way back in 2002.

KillerClown

Postby KillerClown » Dec 5th, 2016 at 6:56 pm

lol, I see an old familiar friend in there.

2016-12-05 18-53-22.png
2016-12-05 18-53-22.png (800 Bytes) Viewed 3817 times

Hope you got that way back in the day, like I did, when it was lifetime licenses.

Edit: Which reminds me, I need to try to install it again. I'm on the fast ring of insider builds on Windows 10, several of the last few previous builds were throwing a BSOD when upgrading builds with it installed, or when trying to reinstall after updating a build.

K2
Administrator

Postby K2 » Dec 7th, 2016 at 8:14 pm

KillerClown wrote:lol, I see an old familiar friend in there.

2016-12-05 18-53-22.png

Hope you got that way back in the day, like I did, when it was lifetime licenses.

Edit: Which reminds me, I need to try to install it again. I'm on the fast ring of insider builds on Windows 10, several of the last few previous builds were throwing a BSOD when upgrading builds with it installed, or when trying to reinstall after updating a build.

That system in the picture is my business server, it's my jack of all trades workhorse. I keep malwarebytes and NOD32 on it (both licensed). I can pretty much clean any infected drive between those two.

K2
Administrator

Postby K2 » Dec 7th, 2016 at 8:17 pm

So, email (for the most part) is working. You can send emails through the forum here to other users, and it should work for new registrations. Only thing I need to hash out still is actual @hardfought.org email accounts. Postfix is not as user friendly as I initially believed ;)

KillerClown

Postby KillerClown » Dec 8th, 2016 at 10:42 am

K2 wrote:That system in the picture is my business server, it's my jack of all trades workhorse. I keep malwarebytes and NOD32 on it (both licensed). I can pretty much clean any infected drive between those two.

Ahh. Was just saying hope you got a lifetime license (for MBAM), like mine, otherwise these days it's a yearly thing... though it's very much so worth a yearly license, still sucks for anyone who didn't buy it years ago. :P

K2
Administrator

Postby K2 » Dec 25th, 2016 at 12:46 pm

Noticed that the steam profile display wasn't updating. Fixed (cURL does not install by default on a new instance of PHP).

Return to “Web Server”