Web Server load

Anything directly related to the web-server can be discussed here - ranging from HTML coding, to the messageboard itself, etc.

Moderators: EatMoreLead, Suck.

K2
Administrator

Web Server load

Postby K2 » Mar 1st, 2014 at 2:37 pm

Here's a kick in the ass for ya...

I know a lot of times it takes several seconds for pages to load here. As in several tens of seconds, sometimes even upwards of a couple minutes or more. You guys have mentioned it from time to time, and I get it that it's just one of those things you sometimes have to deal with on a shared hosting plan. But it's starting to get ridiculous. It's not acceptable anymore.

Online chat I had with Bluehost's tech support just a lil while ago:

Chat ID: 2154482. Question: Provider: Bluehost - My Domain is: "hardfought.org" No initial question provided.

Rachael M.
Hi! How may I help you?

Keith
hi Rachael
i've got an issue with server load on the server my website resides on
load times are getting progressively slower, checked the server load just a few minutes ago and cpu processes are nearly maxed out, memory is almost completely used as is the swap file
something has to change :)

Rachael M.
Ok, so are you looking to upgrade your services, then?

Keith
no, i'd rather you guys fix this server and not have too many users per box
my site only uses 1.3% of total cpu resource MAX
average is less than 1%

Rachael M.
You are on a shared hosting account, you are allotted a specific amount of CPU for your hosting type, if you are using your CPU usage, you either need to upgrade or purchase multiple hosting accounts

Keith
maybe you are misunderstanding me - you have too many users on the box my site resides on, its maxing out resources. I promise you everyone else on this same box is experiencing the same issues I am having. can you move me to a server that isnt being taxed as much?

Rachael M.
We don't move customer's accounts like that, no.

Keith
so what can you do to help a customer that's had an account with you for nearly a decade?

Rachael M.
I'm researching what can be done, and also what is slowing down your sites
Yeah, so you're still on shared hosting. Without you upgrading, there isn't anything that we can do

Awesome. So I'm searching for a new host I think. There's no rush, but still. Ugh :|

K2
Administrator

Re: Web Server load

Postby K2 » Mar 9th, 2014 at 7:15 pm

Found a solution. Bluehost offers an upgrade from shared hosting to 'shared hosting pro' - your site is placed on a server with more CPU's and more memory and with less accounts. Just completed migration to the newer box a few hours ago. This server has 16 cores/32 threads vs the older server (4 cores/8 threads). It's more expensive per month BUT having a dedicated IP address and an SSL cert is part of the package, so I don't have to pay extra for those and it all comes out to about the same cost.

So far so good, site a much more responsive than before. Hope it last :)

Return to “Web Server”