Registration disabled temporarily

Anything directly related to the web-server can be discussed here - ranging from HTML coding, to the messageboard itself, etc.

Moderators: EatMoreLead, Suck.

K2
Administrator

Registration disabled temporarily

Postby K2 » Nov 9th, 2011 at 9:52 pm

So ever since I changed user registration from default to admin approval, the site has been getting *hammered* with spam bots. As in upwards of 50-60 new ones each day. I updated the IP blacklist again and that helped for all of 4 hours. The IP address primarily come from China, but there's also a significant amount from Russia, Poland, India, Thailand and several from inside the United States (California, Illinois, Pennsylvania, Texas, etc).

Even from larger countries like Russia and China, the IP addresses are from all over. Plus the randomness and range of the usernames used suggest that the spambot registrations are all coming from the same botnet, but it's HUGE. There's gotta be thousands if not more computers compromised. I dont even wanna think about how many different msgboard forums this same botnet is attacking.

It's not hurting anything, but it's annoying as hell. So for the time being, registrations are disabled. Havent had a legitimate registrations in several months anyways, so no harm done I suppose ;)

sX
Elite Member

Re: Registration disabled temporarily

Postby sX » Nov 10th, 2011 at 10:38 am

You make baby Jesus cry.
(o )^( o) Tetas.

KillerClown

Re: Registration disabled temporarily

Postby KillerClown » Nov 10th, 2011 at 12:10 pm

That's hilarious.
And yes if you really sit and think about it for a minute, the majority of people don't have a clue when it comes to computers/software/viruses/trojans/etc. Imagine how many idiots computers are sitting around right now emailing garbage to everyone in their list and attempting things like registrations on websites.

Even worse, let's contemplate exponential growth into this.
Let's say (for example) the number of compromised computers were to have an exponential growth of 7%, that would average out to around something like every 10 years the amount of compromised computers would double. So you start with 1 million compromised computers (worldwide that's what maybe 1/5000? or so), 10 years later that would be 2 million, 10 years after that 4 million, 10 more years 8 million (obviously these numbers are a slight excessive, if you consider the exponential growth of human life in only a couple percent (something like 3%), so you won't really be gaining that many computers worldwide). (Worse than this though is contemplating human exponential growth and the rate at which we consume finite natural resources), yes drifting off-topic. :P

Slightly related (more-so to the emailing machines in what I stated above), I posted this on Facebook but it's friggin hilarious so..
[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KCSA7kKNu2Y[/video]
"Truth is treason in the empire of lies." - Ron Paul

Return to “Web Server”