phpBB3 modifications log

Anything directly related to the web-server can be discussed here - ranging from HTML coding, to the messageboard itself, etc.

Moderators: EatMoreLead, Suck.

K2
Administrator

Re: phpBB3 modifications log

Postby K2 » Nov 6th, 2012 at 9:43 pm

Some very big and significant changes coming...

The board is now running on the latest version - 3.0.11. I was under the impression that if I updated the board from it's prior version (3.0.8) it would break integration with wp-united/wordpress. Thankfully I was mistaken, and the update went fairly smooth. Still some template updates to do but that is a minor concern. I'll have that knocked out by this weekend.

How do I know updating phpBB3 wouldn't break anything? The code author for wp-united has come back from an over two year hiatus and is actively working on updating and cleaning up the code for a new release. This will put wp-united at 0.9 and will allow me to upgrade wordpress which sorely needs an update as well.

Good times, good times. Once everything is complete I'll post about it here. Probably news-worthy also.

K2
Administrator

Postby K2 » Nov 10th, 2012 at 7:36 pm

Updated the photo gallery to latest version (1.1.6). Got rid of the 'Share On' mod, no one ever used it. Also updated the ReIMG image re-sizer mod to 2.0.1 and the Avatar on Memberlist mod to 1.0.3.

K2
Administrator

Postby K2 » Nov 11th, 2012 at 10:56 am

Updated the Video BBCode mod to 1.0.5 - adds support for several more online video streaming sites.

K2
Administrator

Postby K2 » Nov 11th, 2012 at 12:14 pm

Added Paypal Donation Mod version 1.0.2 - always wanted one of these. It's currently disabled. Who knows if/when it'll ever get used hah :)

K2
Administrator

Postby K2 » Nov 12th, 2012 at 7:58 pm

Did a fair amount of template clean-up of the photo gallery. Looks a lot cleaner now. Kills me how a mod author can write an amazing script but just half-ass the look n' feel. Oh well.

Cleaned up the quick-reply template also.

K2
Administrator

Postby K2 » Nov 13th, 2012 at 10:23 pm

Changed some icons on the board, specifically what you see when viewing a message thread, and also the icons in the header/footer bar. Higher quality .png graphics that look better against a dark background. Lemme know what you think.

K2
Administrator

Postby K2 » Nov 14th, 2012 at 10:58 pm

Two things:

1) Added the 'Index Tabbed' mod - at the bottom of the forum where you see the 'who's online' display, all of that info is now tabbed. Cleans up a fair amount of clutter. Daddy like.

2) I enabled the paypal donation mod. Got it working the way I want it to finally. Someone send me a dollar, I can't send one to myself, script wont let me ;)

K2
Administrator

Postby K2 » Nov 15th, 2012 at 11:22 pm

Cleaned up the display of the 'Index Tabbed' mod, finished up polishing it.

So has anyone ever noticed for maybe the last 1½ to 2 years that if you tried to click on someones profile details, it would error out or not load at all? Well, I finally found the cause and fixed it. I always thought it was an issue with wp-united. Turns out it was just an extra <!-- ENDIF --> statement that didn't belong in the template. Go figure.

K2
Administrator

Postby K2 » Nov 16th, 2012 at 2:19 am

I'm on a roll here. Worked in the paypal donation mod to integrate with the index tabbed mod. Has a neat lil percentage bar, shows amount of donations made (I donated $1 to myself) and so forth. Check it out.

K2
Administrator

Postby K2 » Nov 18th, 2012 at 9:45 pm

Just solved a long-standing issue with new website links not being colored and standing out from everything else in a new post. Only took five years Suck! ;)

I've also been cleaning up the look and feel of various pages throughout the forums here (mail, print, gallery, search, etc). Some of this has been long overdue. I think this happens to me every holiday season, I get this itch to just fix/tweak/add things to the site. Hah.

K2
Administrator

Postby K2 » Dec 21st, 2012 at 10:51 pm

Just finished performing a major upgrade to the site. I had mentioned a few weeks back that the mod author of WP-United had come back off of a two year hiatus and has been working to update wp-united. He put out a release version a few days ago (0.9.1.0) which I have been helping beta test on another less-used website of mine, as well as helping identify bugs with earlier versions leading up to release. He's now at version 0.9.1.3 which I felt was good enough to use here. Still a few bugs to flesh out, but they are minor. Should see a version 1.0 soon.

WordPress was also updated from version 3.1.3 to 3.5.

Some things to note about the this latest version of wp-united:

User-integration is much better than it ever was before. It's very robust and easier to handle on the admin side. What you as the user will notice are no more having to do double logins (one for phpBB, one for wordpress) to have your avatar show up correctly on the main page. The login and recent posts widgets now take user ranks and their associated colors into account. There's also a wp-united based voting poll - it's new and needs some work, but that is going to be my go-to for polls and I think it will integrate with an existing forums posts voting poll. There's now the very real possibility of a 'most recent picture' widget on the main page. All you old diehards will remember that feature from years past. This new one shouldn't muck up your login session and it should look more professional than the old one.

More to come...

K2
Administrator

Postby K2 » Dec 21st, 2012 at 11:50 pm

Just found a bug with user mappings. Active cookies are still good, but if you logout of the site and then try to log back in and the site doesn't recognize your password, please let me know. I can fix that easily.

Cloud
Fresh Meat

Postby Cloud » Dec 22nd, 2012 at 3:52 am

I'm eagerly awaiting your post that says everything is working perfectly. I have my fingers, legs and eyes crossed.

K2
Administrator

Postby K2 » Dec 22nd, 2012 at 11:41 pm

Cloud wrote:I'm eagerly awaiting your post that says everything is working perfectly. I have my fingers, legs and eyes crossed.

Well, I'm one big step closer to that as of now ;)

Cloud, you'll see my post about it on the WP-United forum. Long story short here - just resolved a huge issue between wordpress and phpBB, not anything you'd see as a normal user, but the issue had the potential to be far-reaching. All good now. Note to self - don't use the same database user account for two separate databases, especially if those two databases interact. Ugh.

EDIT - the author of WP-United discovered the bug in the code that was not allowing the same database user on both the phpBB and wordpress databases. That's now fixed.

K2
Administrator

Postby K2 » Jan 7th, 2013 at 6:31 pm

Updated WP-United to version 0.9.1.6 with version 0.9.2 coming soon.

Updated the Paypal donation mod to 1.0.3

Various tweaks to the look n' feel of the site, especially in the main blog pages comment section.

Added a new BBCode block - imageleft. If you are posting and have one more images embedded in the post, instead of wrapping said images with [img] [/img] you can use [imageleft] [/imageleft] instead, letting the text of your post wrap around it instead of it all being below the image.

K2
Administrator

Postby K2 » Jan 9th, 2013 at 3:30 pm

Updated a couple scripts to get them current (automatic DST and bbcode spoiler).

Was playing around with a jQuery base for the board, but I think there's a big conflict between the javascript it runs and what wordpress uses. Still hashing that out.

K2
Administrator

Postby K2 » Jan 12th, 2013 at 12:26 pm

More look and feel tweaks. Cleaned up a few things under the user control panel. Viewing a private message needs a serious look, something is seriously wrong with formatting.

What are the tweaks? You may notice a few things being a bit more rounded off.

K2
Administrator

Postby K2 » Jan 13th, 2013 at 11:43 pm

Much more work done on the look and feel of the site. Block quotes and attachment box cleaned up and in-line. Comments on news posts on the wordpress side cleaned up. A couple of ya (Spy-Man and Picklejar) who had been deleted back in the ill-fated user mass purge but had come back and re-registered, I tied your new accounts in with quite a few of your old posts. For several that had avatars deleted in the past, I have re-incorporated some of them that I could find/remember.

Lots of clean up with both the user and moderator control panels.

K2
Administrator

Postby K2 » Jan 15th, 2013 at 10:09 pm

Just added the phpBB jQuery Base mod. Finally got it working correctly thanks to some debugging help from Jhong, the author of WP-United.

You'll notice a new button in topics that you post - 'quickedit'. Try it out :) You'll also notice that quick reply acts a lot different now also. Try that out also :) If you have a private message waiting, a new style of pop-up window will appear to the top-right of the screen. Marking forums/subforums/topic as read are also 'instant' as long as the rest of the page is cached properly. The new login functionality is currently disabled - it works (and it's sweet) but it's showing two user/pass sections instead of just one. Dunno why yet. If I fix it I'll enable it.

So overall, we have some AJAX functionality here. I'll change out the nasty 'quickedit' button once I find a suitable replacement.

K2
Administrator

Postby K2 » Jan 18th, 2013 at 9:59 am

WP-United has been updated to version 0.9.2.0 - bugfixes and a complete overhaul of cross-posting news posts to the forum. Most of the changes are on the back-end/admin side. It also allows me to set permissions via phpBB on who can comment on cross-posts on the wordpress side and who can't. I set the default to be everybody that's registered, so should be good to go. If for some reason you can't, lemme know.

K2
Administrator

Postby K2 » Jan 18th, 2013 at 11:08 am

Got rid of the default 'quickedit' button and replaced it with another icon. Has an arrow pointing into a document. Also cleaned up the spacing and alignment between post icons.

Suck.
Benefactor

Postby Suck. » Apr 20th, 2013 at 11:43 am

I've noticed a couple of issues with the forums. For reference, I'm using Firefox 20.0.1.

1. Smilies don't post when clicked on. They jump to the top of the post edit, but do not add the text code to the message box. It looks like they just have the wrong links.

2. You can still see people's Facebook links in their user profiles, but I myself, at least, am unable to find where to update my link, as I changed my page url.

-Grant.

K2
Administrator

Postby K2 » Apr 21st, 2013 at 9:50 am

Good catch. Isn't just a Firefox issue, it's a couple new bugs you found on the board.

1) EDIT - try it now, it's working for me now. Like below, be sure to refresh your browser's cache first. For firefox/chrome users it's shift+F5 a couple times to do the trick.

2) Fixed. Go to user control panel --> profile tab, all the links to change facebook, twitter, etc are there. Be sure to refresh your browser's cache as the button gfx have changed slightly.

K2
Administrator

Postby K2 » Mar 1st, 2014 at 2:28 pm

Figured I should post some updates that have happened... some awhile ago, some recent. Don't wanna lose track :)

WP-United is up to version 0.9.2.5, since March of 2013. Mod author has since dropped off the face of the planet (again). But, this version has been stable - no significant issues or deal-breakers.

PayPal donation MOD has been upgraded to version 1.04 from just a few weeks ago. Minor fixes.

This next one is more of an addition, and it's not even phpBB3 specific, but it does tie in with it - AJAX Chat room version 0.8.7 - this particular version ties in with the forums' user database, so if you're registered here, you don't have to login with a user/pass to chat, it already recognizes you. Our new chat room can be accessed by clicking on the 'chat room' link on the top link bar of the site.

K2
Administrator

Postby K2 » Mar 15th, 2014 at 2:51 am

Updated Reimg Image Resizer mod to 2.0.2

Added KeyCAPTCHA mod 2.0.2 to the board, neat little anti-bot on registration form. You have to put together a puzzle to pass registration. We'll see how it works out.

Return to “Web Server”