phpBB3 modifications log

Anything directly related to the web-server can be discussed here - ranging from HTML coding, to the messageboard itself, etc.

Moderators: EatMoreLead, Suck.

K2
Administrator

phpBB3 modifications log

Postby K2 » Apr 5th, 2009 at 6:11 pm

Making a post to keep track and log all of the mods and hacks I'll incorporate into the msgboard. I had a similar post for the old phpBB2 msgboard in the admin forum. Figured this time around it should be public. If there's any mod or some type of functionality you'd like to see implemented, post here.

Current message board: phpBB3 version 3.0.11
______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

List of installed modifications:

See MOD database list - modsdb.php - or a permanent link to it up above in the header links bar.
Last edited by K2 on Nov 6th, 2012 at 9:37 pm, edited 20 times in total.
Reason: updating versions and links

Suck.
Benefactor

Re: phpBB3 modifications log

Postby Suck. » Apr 6th, 2009 at 1:53 am

Need a plugin to resize oversize images (see here)

-Grant.

K2
Administrator

Postby K2 » Apr 6th, 2009 at 10:08 pm

Suck. wrote:Need a plugin to resize oversize images (see here)

-Grant.

Done.

K2
Administrator

Postby K2 » Apr 7th, 2009 at 6:36 pm

Just finished adding some anti-bot measures on registration. Between the anti-bot question and a new visual confirmation scheme, I think the number of bots that are able to even attempt registration will go down considerably, if not disappear altogether. At least I hope so ;)

Log out, go to 'register' and check out the visual confirmation, it's kinda funny.

K2
Administrator

Postby K2 » Apr 9th, 2009 at 2:22 am

Alright folks, added a few more scripts. One is a very simple to use video embed script. You can embed videos from youtube, googlevideo, dailymotion, metacafe, myspace, starsclips, yahoo, photobucket, filefront, veoh, vidilife, gametrailers, vidiac, gamespot, megavideo, vimeo, gamevideos, tu.tv, godtube, myvideo, collegehumor, comedycentral, slideshare, revver, sevenload, and clipfish. Just copy/paste the URL of the video into your message and wrap it with video /video bbcode brackets. There's a 'video' button up top to simplify the process.

There's also new link buttons for each user profile. You can let others know the link to your personal blogging/social network site profile if you have such a profile on the following sites - Bebo, Blogger, Facebook, GoodReads, LinkedIn, MySpace, NetLog and Twitter. I added some fake links on my profile temporarily so you can see what the link buttons look like for each site. Just go to your UCP (user control panel), link is on the top left, to edit your profile and add your links.

EDIT - quick note about the social networking buttons. For most of them you put in the entire link to your site/profile. For Myspace, bebo and Twitter you just put in the profile ID ONLY.

K2
Administrator

Postby K2 » Apr 9th, 2009 at 4:28 am

Personal photo gallery - everyone has access to one. Just go to your UCP, find the gallery tab (last one on the right-bottom) and go to 'manage gallery'. You'll see a button to 'create gallery'. You can upload as many pics as ya want, and can create up to six sub galleries for sorting. Once created, you can link directly to any picture. There'll also be a new button under your profile name, looks like a camera (see mine for an example), this links directly to your personal gallery.

Suck.
Benefactor

Postby Suck. » Apr 22nd, 2009 at 12:59 pm

Any chance of getting a "most recent photo" thingy again?

-Grant.

K2
Administrator

Postby K2 » Apr 22nd, 2009 at 3:55 pm

I want to yeah... not sure how to go about doing that yet. The optimal way would be via a wordpress plugin handled by onepress. A lil outta my league ;) But it is something I want to reintroduce eventually.

K2
Administrator

Postby K2 » Apr 28th, 2009 at 7:29 pm

Just updated the social network sites buttons. It now includes an explanation on how to correctly input the link/userid for each site.

K2
Administrator

Postby K2 » May 9th, 2009 at 9:30 pm

Added a new BBCode button group of hiding spoilers in a post. For those of ya that want to make a post about a new movie or an upcoming game, but not ruin it for everyone viewing the post unless they purposely click on the 'reveal' link within the post. See the 'Spoiler' and 'Spoiler=' buttons above.

Example...

[spoiler]Spoiler text goes here.[/spoiler]

Suck.
Benefactor

Postby Suck. » Jun 3rd, 2009 at 3:01 am

This is pretty minor, but would make browsing the photo albums much easier... Would it be possible to have it automatically sort by time DESCENDING to start with, instead of ascending? This would put the most recently submitted images on the first page, rather than having to either manually sort them or click to the third page after viewing each image.

-Grant.

K2
Administrator

Postby K2 » Jun 3rd, 2009 at 3:24 am

Gonna leave it as-is - personal preference. However, the next version I believe will allow viewers to sort galleries by time ascending/descending, by size, by name, etc.

K2
Administrator

Postby K2 » Jun 19th, 2009 at 1:14 pm

There are quite a few updates available now for a lot of the scripts listed here, most notably the forum itself and the photo gallery. I'll start in on the updates soon... probably today.

K2
Administrator

Postby K2 » Jan 27th, 2010 at 10:06 am

The log has been completely updated to reflect all of the updates to the board as of this post. Links to scripts have been updated as well.

K2
Administrator

Postby K2 » Feb 1st, 2010 at 4:16 pm

I've added a few mods over the last several days, including today - Avatar on Memberlist, Universal No Avatar, Automatic Daylight Savings Time, and Basic Forum Icon Legend.

K2
Administrator

Postby K2 » Feb 3rd, 2010 at 2:06 pm

Just added a new mod called 'MOD Database' - it's specifically for keeping track of all installed mods on your forum. I made a permanent link to it up above in the header links bar, and it's replacing this topic. Have a look, it's pretty cool.

K2
Administrator

Postby K2 » May 20th, 2010 at 6:41 pm

Msgboard upgraded to 3.0.7-PL1, photo gallery upgraded to 1.0.5.

K2
Administrator

Postby K2 » May 24th, 2010 at 1:46 am

Made a couple significant edits to a few .css files with the website. Some very long-standing display behavior issues with the site are now resolved. Translation - the HF website will now behave much more like it should when viewing using IE (it'll look much like when viewing using Firefox).

I got a couple re-tweaks to make, since some compensation tweaks are no longer necessary, but they are minor and wont take long to find and correct.

As always, do a manual refresh of the site to make sure your browser gets the updated content changes.

FYI - 'quick reply' is now acting as intended. You'll see what I mean.

Lemme know if you happen to notice any weird behavior or look.

EDIT - for those of ya still stuck on IE7, the site will behave much better now. Anyone still use IE7? ;)

K2
Administrator

Postby K2 » May 24th, 2010 at 11:22 pm

The UCP and MCP (user control panel and moderator control panel) just got a much needed look n' feel overhaul. That was a big one, glad it's done.

K2
Administrator

Postby K2 » Jun 22nd, 2010 at 11:03 pm

Added the ability to embed Hulu videos (see the 5th post to this topic, this is in addition to the above). To use - just copy/paste the url of the Hulu vid you're watching, and make sure to wrap it with the 'video' and '/video' bbcode tags.

K2
Administrator

Postby K2 » Jul 7th, 2010 at 10:30 pm

Made a couple small tweaks so that this site looks as it should when viewing with browsers such as Safari/Chrome/Opera.

K2
Administrator

Postby K2 » Jul 7th, 2010 at 10:53 pm

Just added a neat a lil mod that shows when the forum was started and for how long it's existed, it's underneath the section that shows the total number of posts, newest member, etc.

After I installed it, here's what it displayed:

Board started on Sep 14th, 2002 at 6:33 am EST and has existed for 2853 days

DAMN that's a lot of days ;) Too bad I wasn't able to save and import HF's first ever message board, or we'd be going back to October of 2000.

K2
Administrator

Postby K2 » Sep 24th, 2010 at 5:24 pm

Just added a STEAM ID mod to the board. Go to your User CP, go to the 'profile' tab, and right at the top is a place to enter your STEAM ID. You can use either the number format (steam_0:1:xxxxxx) or your steam username. I recommend using your steam username, as it provides the correct link to your steam community page.

The STEAM status is in real time. Also, if you have enabled a signature, a larger steam profile will show there also. That may be overkill however, so lemme know if you feel it should be removed or not. Easy to do.

Just view any of my posts to see what the steam status looks like

K2
Administrator

Postby K2 » Sep 29th, 2010 at 1:21 am

Added the 'Share On' mod - every new topic will have small buttons near the edit/quote buttons that will allow you to share the topic on either facebook or twitter. I can enable other sites as well like myspace, delicious, digg, etc. Lemme know if you all use 'em or not.

Maverick
Elite Member

Postby Maverick » Sep 29th, 2010 at 11:15 pm

K2 wrote:Just added a STEAM ID mod to the board. Go to your User CP, go to the 'profile' tab, and right at the top is a place to enter your STEAM ID. You can use either the number format (steam_0:1:xxxxxx) or your steam username. I recommend using your steam username, as it provides the correct link to your steam community page.

The STEAM status is in real time. Also, if you have enabled a signature, a larger steam profile will show there also. That may be overkill however, so lemme know if you feel it should be removed or not. Easy to do.

Just view any of my posts to see what the steam status looks like

Steam ID is groovy, I dig it. :idea:
"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing..."
-Edmund Burke

Return to “Web Server”