Frames vs. IFrames/new module

Anything directly related to the web-server can be discussed here - ranging from HTML coding, to the messageboard itself, etc.

Moderators: EatMoreLead, Suck.

K2
Administrator

Frames vs. IFrames/new module

Postby K2 » Sep 24th, 2006 at 3:53 pm

You may or may not notice when loading the HF website now, but I switched over from using frames to iframes. It was actually quite simple to switch over surprisingly... I am still playing with the look/feel, but I think you'll all like it.

I am debating on making the right-hand panel it's own seperate static iframe as well, and have all website content load between the left links panel and the right-side module display.

On a side-note - I added a new module to the right side. It's a mini-calendar, which ties in directly with the main calendar thru the msgboard. Any events that are added to it, will popup on the mini-calendar (nearest three). You can click on the events listed, and it'll take you directly to the details page for that event. Clicking on the word 'Calendar' takes you to the main calendar page. Users can view/suggest events (suggested events require validation by yours truly).

Anyways, lemme know whatcha think.

Deleted User
*poof*

Postby Deleted User » Sep 24th, 2006 at 4:28 pm

Everything looks the same to me.
I've been deleted!!

K2
Administrator

Postby K2 » Sep 24th, 2006 at 4:37 pm

That's the point actually ;) But how it all works now is quite a bit different than before. You'll notice lil things tho, like there's no more scroll bar on what used to be the left 'frame'. And those of ya that use Firefox will notice that the look/feel is now more inline with my original design for IE. In other words, the site should look exactly the same now (or very close to exact) regardless of which browser you use.

FuManChuu

Postby FuManChuu » Sep 24th, 2006 at 4:56 pm

lookin good K2, noticed it as soon as I hit it... webnerds take notice.
o_O

K2
Administrator

Postby K2 » Sep 24th, 2006 at 6:01 pm

PUPPY just pointed out a weird thing that if you run at lower resolutions, the bottom news would get cut off too early. I just fixed that for anyone running at 1024x768 or greater.

Do any of ya run at a resolution of 1024x768 or less?

rekloose-[PUPPY]
Elite Member

Postby rekloose-[PUPPY] » Sep 24th, 2006 at 8:59 pm

keith .. you may nee dto scrape the iframe idea ...

when i click on the "my computer desktop + arragement" link in the "all things hardware forum" it cuts the bottom and the right side of the screen off because of the images. also, it doesn't offer any scrollbars to scroll n the iframe.

another thing: when i click back and forth from one link in the forum to the other i always have to scroll up to the top of the page (clicking on a link within an iframe doesn't recenter the main browser window to the top of the screen).

K2
Administrator

Postby K2 » Sep 24th, 2006 at 9:02 pm

Yeah I just noticed that with forum posts that are 'extra-high' - that's an easy enough fix. I can also set scroll bars in the iframe from 'no' to 'auto' if need be.

EDIT - setting scrolling to 'auto' works. Or I can just increase the pixel limit on the height setting. EDIT #2 - for right now I set the height pixel limit so insanely high that it's unlikely a msgboard forum post would ever reach its limit. So that problem is solved. Onto the next...

I noticed the thing about re-centering/snapping back to the top as well. That's minor imo, but slightly annoying. I'll look into it.

Now ask yourself folks, which would you rather have - this new method, or back to the original 90' era frames set?

K2
Administrator

Postby K2 » Sep 24th, 2006 at 10:07 pm

A couple ppl had also noticed that you couldnt scroll left/right when viewing msgboard topics that had pictures posted to them; they would stretch the topic out too far, destroying the layout. We've had this problem in the past anyways, but before it was more of a nuasance than anything. Now it's more of a real problem.

Or was anyways... I had found a simple script addition to phpBB awhile back, that would analyze all pics posted to the forum. Should any pic exceed a pre-defined width, it would be automatically resized to meet the pre-defined width, preserving the msgboard topic layout. It puts a border around the image, letting you know it's been resized, and clicking on the pic shows you the full sized image in a seperate window. This script is now enabled.

EDIT - make sure your sig pics are no greater than 500 pixels in width, otherwise they'll get re-sized. 500px is plently anyways, I think most of ya dont exceed 450.

EDIT 2 - had to set the max width on pics back down to 400, otherwise ppl running at 1024x768 resolution would have still had the topic page get cut off. If your pic in your sig exceeds this value, you may wanna change the size of your pic. Up to you.
Last edited by K2 on Sep 24th, 2006 at 11:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

K2
Administrator

Postby K2 » Sep 24th, 2006 at 11:34 pm

Hey gang, I found a fucking outstanding script that allows an iframe to fit to whatever it's contents are - http://www.dynamicdrive.com/dynamicinde ... messi2.htm - it will also refit on calling links from one iframe into another.

This solves pretty much all of the problems you may have been experiencing earlier with lack of scollbars, etc. I am gonna do a bit more testing, but I think we're good to go.

Welcome HF website to the 21st century, hah :lol:

EDIT - I've tested this auto-resize iframe script on the following browsers: IE 6, FF 1.5.0.7, and FF 2.0 beta 2. It works fine on all three, however on IE 6 it works the best, then FF 2.0 beta 2, then FF 1.x (when loading a smaller page, the iframe size doesnt always snap back to a smaller size in FF 1.x). I'd test IE 7, but I dont think I can have it and IE 6 running seperately on the same machine.

K2
Administrator

Postby K2 » Sep 30th, 2006 at 9:09 pm

Well I must have done something right, switching over to iframes and tweaking the formatting so the site looks the same regardless of which browser ya use...

[15:05] Pyrox: i like the website now

:D

Oreo
l33t scr1pt0r

Postby Oreo » Oct 1st, 2006 at 12:50 am

Only issue I still see is having to scroll up when I hit submit on on a post and the frame stays scrolled to the bottom.

Everything else is looking good. Great job.

Phoenix
Elite Member

Postby Phoenix » Oct 1st, 2006 at 10:19 am

I'm having the same issue Oreo is, not that it is a big deal but whenever I make a post, or change what picture I am looking at the screen scrolls to the bottom.
Former HF clan member, server admin, all around troll

"You don't do things right once-in-a-while. You do them right all the time."- Vince Lombardi

rekloose-[PUPPY]
Elite Member

Postby rekloose-[PUPPY] » Oct 1st, 2006 at 12:25 pm

actually there' another, bigger problemw with the IFRAME script ...

it apparently only resizes the frame when the page has COMPLETELY downloaded. last week, someone had a BF2 sig that was loading super, super slow and the page wasn't resizing for a while.

Jeng
Elite Member

Postby Jeng » Oct 1st, 2006 at 12:32 pm

rekloose-[PUPPY] wrote:actually there' another, bigger problemw with the IFRAME script ...

it apparently only resizes the frame when the page has COMPLETELY downloaded. last week, someone had a BF2 sig that was loading super, super slow and the page wasn't resizing for a while.

Adblock works on them.

Not like its anything I look at anyway.
I really need to change this sig

rekloose-[PUPPY]
Elite Member

Postby rekloose-[PUPPY] » Oct 1st, 2006 at 1:50 pm

jeng, that's nto the point .. the point is that if someone links to an image on a slow server that the IFRAME wont resize until it downloads (or timesout) and you won't be able to view the thread until it does so ...

K2
Administrator

Postby K2 » Oct 1st, 2006 at 2:39 pm

PUPPY - I havent experienced that problem yet. The longest delay I've seen on a full page load is about half a second. I can look into a solution for that tho.

On having to scroll back up - the msgboard code already snaps to the msg last posted, and it does do this still 'most of the time', but not always. This is minor in my opinion. I can still look into a 'fix', but start getting used to what we got now... unless you'd all rather go back to 1990's era frames?

One last issue I noticed myself a few days ago, and another user pointed out to me this morning, is when viewing the photo album, if a pic posted is large, it gets cropped off on the right side, no scroll bars available to view the rest of it. Gonna see if the auto-resizing script I incorporated for the thread topic pics can be used on the photo album as well.

EDIT - just fixed the photo album (public and personal gallery pics), they will auto-resize the width to 640 pixels - no more chopped off pics folks, so long as ya dont go below 1024x768 screen res.

Return to “Web Server”