msgboard revamp

Anything directly related to the web-server can be discussed here - ranging from HTML coding, to the messageboard itself, etc.

Moderators: EatMoreLead, Suck.

K2
Administrator

msgboard revamp

Postby K2 » May 31st, 2006 at 3:58 pm

I'm going to initiate a complete msgboard revamp here in a few days or so. It's still going to be phpBB 2.x, but this will be a clean install using the existing database (no posts or accounts will be lost). Reason being - I've been doing upgrades to the board by hand for a couple years now... that along with all the custom scripts hacked into it, has made it more difficult to upgrade each time a new version comes about. And some functionality either gets messed up or shut down altogether - case in point, the visual confirmation code built into phpBB. It hasnt worked now for awhile, and because of that, we've been subject to a register robot hack now for the past month. The only thing keeping that in check (down to 20-30 fake registers a day) are some other hacked-in security measures I've implemented in the past. I spent about two hours last night trying to fix that, to no avail.

So here soon, you'll see work being done on the board here. I may have to disable the board for small periods of time during the revamp. Also, I am going to take note of the custom scripts I have installed, and re-implement those that need to be included (read: photo album, quick reply, etc) while excluding those that dont.

Consider this the first step towards an entire website overhaul.

Catharsys

Postby Catharsys » May 31st, 2006 at 7:28 pm

yeh my other 2 forums are getting hit really bad. one is a phpnuke hack that takes the whole server down. partially due to the host.

Catalyst22
Elite Member

Postby Catalyst22 » May 31st, 2006 at 9:02 pm

phpbb is the reason I use SMF forums.
phpnuke is the reason I use Joomla CMS.

No problems since switching.
“When you have the facts on your side, argue the facts. When you have the law on your side, argue the law. When neither is on your side, change the subject and question the motives of the opposition.â€

Return to “Web Server”