Hotlink protection

Anything directly related to the web-server can be discussed here - ranging from HTML coding, to the messageboard itself, etc.

Moderators: EatMoreLead, Suck.

Miracl3

Postby Miracl3 » Jun 13th, 2006 at 12:39 pm

Catalyst22 wrote:

BTW, anyone got a good fix for Cool Web Search? CWS Shredder is no longer being updated and no vendor currently out that I can find has a true solution that is up to date with the latest versions of CWS.

i usually just find the filepath and track it down, end the processes associated with and delete them. i hate CWS and 180WS is gay too

K2
Administrator

Postby K2 » Jun 13th, 2006 at 12:39 pm

Yeah, I turned it off again... there's a couple other things that are getting messed up with the msgboard.

*sigh*

I think I like Miracl3's idea of a website revamp contest. I'd pay the winner a 3-figure award. If enough of ya seriously wanna take the time to do this (pyrox, puppy, catalyst, etc), I'll make the contest official.

Miracl3

Postby Miracl3 » Jun 13th, 2006 at 12:40 pm

K2 wrote:Yeah, I turned it off again... there's a couple other things that are getting messed up with the msgboard.

*sigh*

I think I like Miracl3's idea of a website revamp contest. I'd pay the winner a 3-figure award. If enough of ya seriously wanna take the time to do this (pyrox, puppy, catalyst, etc), I'll make the contest official.

wasnt my idea i believe it was pyrox's but not mine thx neways ;) ill take the credit. for any of u guys entering it ill put a nice mx510 for winner lol got me a g5 a week or couple ago

Catalyst22
Elite Member

Postby Catalyst22 » Jun 13th, 2006 at 1:11 pm

I'd be game, but I need about a month to work on it. You will need to specify details like

keep phpbb forums
cs-stats page
cs-stats block
news posting with wysiwyg
photo gallery app of choice

etc.
“When you have the facts on your side, argue the facts. When you have the law on your side, argue the law. When neither is on your side, change the subject and question the motives of the opposition.â€

Catalyst22
Elite Member

Postby Catalyst22 » Jun 13th, 2006 at 1:40 pm

Here is a way to slowly migrate to a CMS. You can use the wrapper feature (an i-frame) of Mambo. I did this pretty quick and it isn't setup for any browser but IE right now, but I think you can get my drift.

http://www.tulsalan.com/hf
“When you have the facts on your side, argue the facts. When you have the law on your side, argue the law. When neither is on your side, change the subject and question the motives of the opposition.â€

pyrox420
Elite Member

Postby pyrox420 » Jun 13th, 2006 at 2:06 pm

For the technical skilz that k2 has a CMS might be too noobish IMHO. He also has alot of standalone apps (phpbb, stats, reg) that i would hate to use the embed shit. I'd rather have 3 static pages and the rest stanalone than have to use the embed feature of a CMS.

I'm in for the contest. Are we talking a whole site redesign with a new look? Or are we just eliminating the frames and sticking with the current design? I'm up for either... but eliminating frames would be much easier and quicker.

Whatever you want to do i'm game.
"You know what the chain of command is? It's the chain I go get and beat you with until you understand who's in ruttin' command here". - Jayne

K2
Administrator

Postby K2 » Jun 13th, 2006 at 2:18 pm

We get one or two more of ya to put in a serious bid, the contest is ON. I'll start a new thread. So chime in if you're serious...

Catalyst22
Elite Member

Postby Catalyst22 » Jun 13th, 2006 at 2:42 pm

For the technical skilz that k2 has a CMS might be too noobish IMHO.

wtf are you talking about? Every company uses a CMS of some kind or another and most don't develop in house anymore. You can be a web developer snob, but at least be honest and admit that CMSs are the way to go.

pyrox420
Elite Member

Postby pyrox420 » Jun 13th, 2006 at 4:04 pm

Catalyst22 wrote:

wtf are you talking about? Every company uses a CMS of some kind or another and most don't develop in house anymore. You can be a web developer snob, but at least be honest and admit that CMSs are the way to go.
Lol, snob... funny. A CMS has it's place. Shit... any website i design for a client uses a CMS because it's easy to update content... and i don't have to do it. k2 = leet skillz. Anyways, i dont give a shit so whatever k2 wants to do.
"You know what the chain of command is? It's the chain I go get and beat you with until you understand who's in ruttin' command here". - Jayne

Catalyst22
Elite Member

Postby Catalyst22 » Jun 13th, 2006 at 4:56 pm

pyrox420 wrote:
Catalyst22 wrote:

Lol, snob... funny. A CMS has it's place. Shit... any website i design for a client uses a CMS because it's easy to update content... and i don't have to do it. k2 = leet skillz. Anyways, i dont give a shit so whatever k2 wants to do.

I wasnt trying to insult you. I have no doubt that you are far more skilled than me. I do disagree that a CMS is "noobish" for the reasons I stated above.

I've met many web devs that claim CMSs are for noobs then watch them turn around and build a CMS from the ground up for a client and charge big money when they could have simply mastered a cms framework and saved themselves and their clients money.

rekloose-[PUPPY]
Elite Member

Postby rekloose-[PUPPY] » Jun 13th, 2006 at 5:01 pm

creating your own CMS gives you more flexibility over a canned solution.

sorry keith, i don't have the time right now to work on a site :(

Catalyst22
Elite Member

Postby Catalyst22 » Jun 13th, 2006 at 5:22 pm

It doesn't seem that way to me, but I lack the experience to back that up :) so I'll leave it at that.

I wish I new python so I could use Plone :(

K2
Administrator

Postby K2 » Jun 13th, 2006 at 5:29 pm

It's all good puppy, I dont either to do it right.

It's nice to see so much trust put into my 'leet skillz' but honestly, I'm not as skilled as ya might think. I really wish I were... yeah, I can pick things up fairly easy, but for those of ya that do this for a living, your skills are much greater than mine.

Hence the need for a lil competition ;)

Alright, so pyrox and catalyst, it's between you two if ya really want it. I wasnt joking about a 3-figure prize, I will make this worth your while, at least a lil bit. I'll set a deadline for Oct. 1st this year. I'll post a basic guideline of what I want/dont want, and then you two can run with it from that point on.

Deal?

Catalyst22
Elite Member

Postby Catalyst22 » Jun 13th, 2006 at 6:16 pm

You can count me in, but I got a feeling Pyrox is going to own my ass ;) since he does in fact do this for a living. I'll see what I can do based off your desires.

JayPhat
Elite Member

Postby JayPhat » Jun 13th, 2006 at 7:03 pm

I say let the wife do it. She is reading night and day about this shit, I would like to see what she can do.

pyrox420
Elite Member

Postby pyrox420 » Jun 13th, 2006 at 7:35 pm

Sounds good, i'm in. Setup the guidelines and requirements and Let's Get it ON!

rekloose-[PUPPY]
Elite Member

Postby rekloose-[PUPPY] » Jun 13th, 2006 at 9:24 pm

put up the guidelines, i may be able to whip something out by oct ...

K2
Administrator

Postby K2 » Jun 13th, 2006 at 11:50 pm

[13:58] <JayPhat> So, Monicas really getting into this web desgin thing

[13:58] <JayPhat> She said, if she had designed HF exactly like you did, she would ahve to pay people money to take it

Um... is that an insult Jay? WTF :shock:

monica

Postby monica » Jun 14th, 2006 at 12:09 am

wow jay i'm never telling you anything ever again.

<3 k2. great work, buddy. :D

K2
Administrator

Postby K2 » Jun 14th, 2006 at 12:20 am

Yeah right. This website rocks and ya'll know it ;)

Burzum
Benefactor

Postby Burzum » Jun 14th, 2006 at 7:25 am

www.nlcc-anderson.org <--- this is the kind of website that girls make. I'd watch out or hardfought.org will be a very ugly myspace.com...no offence, Mo ;)
Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup.

Best_predator
Banished to Siberia

Postby Best_predator » Jun 14th, 2006 at 2:51 pm

Burzum wrote:www.nlcc-anderson.org <--- this is the kind of website that girls make. I'd watch out or hardfought.org will be a very ugly myspace.com...no offence, Mo ;)

AAhhh, MY EYES!!! ARGH!!! MY EEEEYYYEEEEES NOOOO!.
Sneaky bastard...
"Knowing is not enough; we must apply. Willing is not enough; we must do." ~ Goethe

Miracl3

Postby Miracl3 » Jun 14th, 2006 at 3:05 pm

Hey im serious too. I doubt any of u guys would take it but i have an mx510 ill give ya. Shouldnt cost much to ship it but i dunno. Its up for grabs too.

monica

Postby monica » Jun 14th, 2006 at 5:11 pm

Burzum wrote:www.nlcc-anderson.org <--- this is the kind of website that girls make. I'd watch out or hardfought.org will be a very ugly myspace.com...no offence, Mo ;)

offense taken, dammit. ur lucky i'm like web design n00b or i'd show you some shit, buddy!!! :D

JayPhat
Elite Member

Postby JayPhat » Jun 14th, 2006 at 8:22 pm

monica wrote:wow jay i'm never telling you anything ever again.

<3 k2. great work, buddy. :D

WTF?!? I told her I was going to tell you that and she was all like "You can tell him, I don't give a shit".

Thats it, from now on, I am tape recording my entire day so I can avoid being cornered.
/turns on tape recorder

Return to “Web Server”