Hotlink protection

Anything directly related to the web-server can be discussed here - ranging from HTML coding, to the messageboard itself, etc.

Moderators: EatMoreLead, Suck.

Cud

Postby Cud » Aug 22nd, 2005 at 3:08 pm

i personally don't care if i have to click a couple extra times a day. do what ever makes you happy inside k2.

pyrox420
Elite Member

Postby pyrox420 » Aug 22nd, 2005 at 3:22 pm

I like to get in and out fast. I click the links in the e-mail to get there fast and i hot link to the "view posts since last visit" to get my snap shot of new posts.

It became more of a chore to view the site than just clicking the link in the email or my bookmark. If i'm at work, 3 extra clicks = three extra pages our slow ass company internet has to load.

For a forum troll like me, getting things done faster is always a nice thing. Thank you k2! :)
"You know what the chain of command is? It's the chain I go get and beat you with until you understand who's in ruttin' command here". - Jayne

Suck.
Benefactor

Lists are fun.

Postby Suck. » Aug 22nd, 2005 at 7:22 pm

1. Really, I only had two issues with hotlink protection:
    1. Nubs like me who use Norton are blocked from viewing any content by default, and with no explanation, we could lose potential forum visitors. For this, I decided that it's their fault for not knowing how to configure Norton to bypass this, and since I got it working, fuck the rest of 'em.
    2. I was stuck in the Frame Matrix, which is humiliating and aggravating. It's actually very easy to get out of frames once you visit the home site, so this didn't bother me after all.
  2. I understand the reasoning behind it, which is to:
    1. help make the news more visible
    2. encourage visitors to use the other features of hardfought.org, such as the pics section
    3. tally the hit counter
    4. further the cause of K2's beloved buttons
    5. remind everyone that running these servers costs a lot of money, and any Paypal donations would be greatly appreciated
    6. etc.
  3. As such, I would have no problem putting hotlink protection back on, but with a little advanced warning this time, and perhaps a quick description of how to configure a software firewall to deal with it.
  4. Ultimately, though, all of this comes down to 2 key points:
    • Frames are nub.
    • This would be much better accomplished with a table layout, which I know several people here could help K2 set up when he gets some time.

-Grant.

hungerfan

Postby hungerfan » Aug 22nd, 2005 at 8:49 pm

I use NIS...you don't see me bitching like a bitch. Works fine and I never knew he made any kind of change. Suck just likes to find something different to bitch about each week. Next week it will be friggin pads with wings. "WINGS? Who needs em? They just get in the way!"

Ed

Catalyst22
Elite Member

Postby Catalyst22 » Sep 14th, 2005 at 12:46 am

Nubs like me who use Norton are blocked from viewing any content by default, and with no explanation, we could lose potential forum visitors. For this, I decided that it's their fault for not knowing how to configure Norton to bypass this, and since I got it working, fuck the rest of 'em.

NIS is the Devil. First time I saw that app was at my parents. In an attempt to keep me busy fixing their home computers and away from their living will they installed NIS. First thing it did was disable FireFaux. That was pretty cool.. since it took me a year to get them to switch to it (and about an hour each visit removing spyware with adaware, spybot, MS-AS, among others).

BTW, anyone got a good fix for Cool Web Search? CWS Shredder is no longer being updated and no vendor currently out that I can find has a true solution that is up to date with the latest versions of CWS.
“When you have the facts on your side, argue the facts. When you have the law on your side, argue the law. When neither is on your side, change the subject and question the motives of the opposition.â€

Suck.
Benefactor

Postby Suck. » Sep 14th, 2005 at 12:56 am

Have you checked www.spywareinfo.com in the malware removal forums?

-Grant.

Catalyst22
Elite Member

Postby Catalyst22 » Sep 14th, 2005 at 9:50 am

Suck. wrote:Have you checked www.spywareinfo.com in the malware removal forums?

-Grant.

Yup, no love there either. All I have found out about removeing CWS said to use CWS Shredder and that is now owned by Spysweeper by Webroot and they are not working on future development of it. They just integrated what was already there into the existing product.
“When you have the facts on your side, argue the facts. When you have the law on your side, argue the law. When neither is on your side, change the subject and question the motives of the opposition.â€

pyrox420
Elite Member

Postby pyrox420 » Jun 12th, 2006 at 11:14 am

IT'S BACK.... I still hate it. My time now includes 3 extra clicks to get where I want to go... everytime i want to follow a link to a forum post.

FRAMES = #(!@&!*@$(
"You know what the chain of command is? It's the chain I go get and beat you with until you understand who's in ruttin' command here". - Jayne

K2
Administrator

Postby K2 » Jun 12th, 2006 at 3:08 pm

awwwwww!

I'm tired of ppl askin me stuff like 'where's the signup form for the lan?' or 'I never knew about that' when it was posted on the news weeks prior. There's a news page, voting poll, server monitor, contact info block, and links to other interesting things on this site for a reason; it was never my intention for ppl to be able to come straight to the msgboard and bypass everything else.

Suck - if you start screaming about Norton having a fit with frames, fix it, ditch it and get somethin better (nod32), or cfg your system right, cuz I aint changing things back this time.

pyrox420
Elite Member

Postby pyrox420 » Jun 12th, 2006 at 4:02 pm

And i'll say it again... just get rid of the god damm frames and i'll be fine...

Not to bitch anymore than i have too... but why piss off a reg for a few new guys who dont' know the first thing about a computer???

Can you at least make the script smart in that it puts the link the person tried to go to in the right frame instead of the homepage showing up?

K2
Administrator

Postby K2 » Jun 12th, 2006 at 4:33 pm

You're gettin worked up over having to make a couple extra clicks...

And I made a valid effort to get away from the frames, but I cant do what I wanna do without using frames, and without having to do a significant amount of changes to almost every single viewable file on the website. I went over this with both you and puppy.

And really, only 3-4 of ya bitched, out of over 220 registered members on the board.

I'm gonna move onto something more important now, like a clan roster. Enjoy.

Dylan

Postby Dylan » Jun 12th, 2006 at 5:11 pm

5!
Servers gone and all of a sudden people have opinions of K2, weird

Phoenix
Elite Member

Postby Phoenix » Jun 12th, 2006 at 8:32 pm

Former HF clan member, server admin, all around troll

"You don't do things right once-in-a-while. You do them right all the time."- Vince Lombardi

sohpriest

Postby sohpriest » Jun 12th, 2006 at 8:35 pm

I love frames. I have a nice one with a picture of Xrays mom in it.
"I am Jack's smirking revenge."

Best_predator
Banished to Siberia

Postby Best_predator » Jun 12th, 2006 at 8:46 pm

Kerio has hissy fits about this now. I have to turn it off to visit the website, don't think theres a way to even configure this...
Sneaky bastard...
"Knowing is not enough; we must apply. Willing is not enough; we must do." ~ Goethe

Jennthrotull
K2's better half

Postby Jennthrotull » Jun 13th, 2006 at 4:21 am

I could be wrong, but I suspect that the cumumlative amount of time you all spent today making extra clicks to get to the message forum was far less than the amount of time spent bitching about it. God help you all if you ever have to work with a computer-based hospital or medical records system.

Burzum
Benefactor

Postby Burzum » Jun 13th, 2006 at 7:57 am

We have to make extra clicks to get to the message forum? Looks fine to me. Great work, K2 on nix'n those frames. You got'r done
Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup.

pyrox420
Elite Member

Postby pyrox420 » Jun 13th, 2006 at 9:27 am

Jennthrotull wrote:I could be wrong, but I suspect that the cumumlative amount of time you all spent today making extra clicks to get to the message forum was far less than the amount of time spent bitching about it. God help you all if you ever have to work with a computer-based hospital or medical records system.
Your sleeping with the enemy!!! I do alot of clicking around at work (systems analyst...). I try and limit the amount of use of my mouse... i'm 23 and getting carpel tunnel quickly... so now 3 extra clicks, maybe 10-15 times a day... can be a pain in the ass.

Now i did notice something today... i'm guessing your checking the browsers "refer"... search engines aren't going to be spidering HF anymore than the homepage now because bots don't send refer's. But i guess syou dont' care. :)

Edit: i really guess google doesn't like HF. :)
http://72.14.203.104/search?q=cache:EHq ... =firefox-a

<3 K2

rekloose-[PUPPY]
Elite Member

Postby rekloose-[PUPPY] » Jun 13th, 2006 at 9:44 am

what diff does it make if i gets cached by google or not?

pyrox420
Elite Member

Postby pyrox420 » Jun 13th, 2006 at 9:51 am

rekloose-[PUPPY] wrote:what diff does it make if i gets cached by google or not?

That's what google "sees". So basically they don't see any of the site... except for the "blank" page. When they try to get to any other page, they get redirected to that blank page. So yea... people will have to find HF by typing in "hardfought" one word, and the only reason that comes up is because its the domain name.

rekloose-[PUPPY]
Elite Member

Postby rekloose-[PUPPY] » Jun 13th, 2006 at 10:10 am

pyrox420 wrote:
rekloose-[PUPPY] wrote:what diff does it make if i gets cached by google or not?

That's what google "sees". So basically they don't see any of the site... except for the "blank" page. When they try to get to any other page, they get redirected to that blank page. So yea... people will have to find HF by typing in "hardfought" one word, and the only reason that comes up is because its the domain name.

so? what else would they be searching for?

pyrox420
Elite Member

Postby pyrox420 » Jun 13th, 2006 at 10:30 am

rekloose-[PUPPY] wrote:so? what else would they be searching for?

"hard fought" "hard fought lan" "kick ass CSS clan" "hard fought clan", etc...

rekloose-[PUPPY]
Elite Member

Postby rekloose-[PUPPY] » Jun 13th, 2006 at 10:33 am

meh, i guess so .. but if someone searched for "hard fought" i bet this site wouldn't show up even if we didn't have frames .. "hard fight clan" might tho ...

Miracl3

Postby Miracl3 » Jun 13th, 2006 at 12:21 pm

ya im not a web dev and i know k2 wouldnt just let some1 build his site but id like to see what the future of hardfought.org might look like. contest idea sounds tight if u guys ever go through with it

Miracl3

Postby Miracl3 » Jun 13th, 2006 at 12:22 pm

wow gg i just let it autodirect and have nested fram. i know that its been turned off now but why am i getting this?

Return to “Web Server”